Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 79,892 times)

Vermillion

Unfortunately, that is what is going to happen.
Fans pay.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Vermillion on Feb 26, 2015, 04:30:11 AM
Unfortunately, that is what is going to happen.
Fans pay.

We're in some real pretty shit now, huh?

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Maybe we could build a fire?  Sing a couple of songs?

Vers

(Looks at Alien 3 and A:R)

All right, we waste 'em... no offense!

marrerom

marrerom

I think you guys are getting hyped up over a misinterpretation. Don't be surprised when its confirmed that Blomkamp's film will be set after Resurrection.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

So this is going to be like Prom all over again where this was an Alien movie but it wasnt but then it was again? But it wasnt?

Ugh.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Feb 26, 2015, 05:41:37 AM
So this is going to be like Prom all over again where this was an Alien movie but it wasnt but then it was again? But it wasnt?

Ugh.

Where do you get that idea from?

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 26, 2015, 05:36:30 AM
I think you guys are getting hyped up over a misinterpretation. Don't be surprised when its confirmed that Blomkamp's film will be set after Resurrection.

It could go either way. Sigourney's talked a lot about finishing Ripley's story after Resurrection, so I wouldn't be surprised if Blomkamp re-wrote to accommodate that. But it's not impossible that a retcon of sorts could happen. Personally, I think "genetic siblings" is more referring to tone, style, aesthetics, etc. But still, it's all very vague at the moment.

David08

David08

I totally agree with Kaya and Adam802, come on guys stop bitching & let's celebrate the good news!! After 2 decades: ALIEN 5 is finally happening!!!!! Can't wait to see how Alien 5 will fix the Alien Universe. We are finally getting a good Aliens sequel  ;)  ::)  8)  ;D  :)

Gash

Gash

Retconning a couple of films aside, what turns me off more is the idea it's a sibling to Aliens, or has the tone of Aliens. Whatever way you term it that sounds like shit.

GillPills

GillPills

Guess after Alien 5 Alien 3 will be looked at by some as an alternative ending to this supposed finished trilogy. I really didn't mind A3, it had good ideas, a grim atmosphere that's chilling and could of been quite uniquely scary, and of course a very good director, just it was held back and completely shat on by Fox. Could of been alot more, but the ending of it was always somehow satisfying.

F**k Resurrection... can't wait for this, finally an Alien 5!

predxeno

predxeno

Hmm... if Alien 3 and A:R are retconned then I wonder how this will affect Prometheus's continuity with the Alien franchise.  I suppose Prometheus will be canon to the new Alien film, but not canon to Alien 3, A:R, and whatever EU that is present in the original universe; that may not necessarily be a bad thing, what with fans' opinions of Ridley Scott's film. :-\

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 26, 2015, 06:22:16 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Feb 26, 2015, 05:36:30 AM

It could go either way. Sigourney's talked a lot about finishing Ripley's story after Resurrection, so I wouldn't be surprised if Blomkamp re-wrote to accommodate that. But it's not impossible that a retcon of sorts could happen. Personally, I think "genetic siblings" is more referring to tone, style, aesthetics, etc. But still, it's all very vague at the moment.

Boy, I certainly effin' hope we are right about the misinterpretation. Because I've never been this disappointed with a film announcement in my life.
That the ALIEN series didn't do things like this is why I had so much pride in being a fan for so long. I forgave the AVP stuff because it was so sub-par in contrast to the others, that it felt like no-one would take them seriously. But say what you want about A3 and A:R, what they have in common with the ALIEN series is that they are aesthetically serious films, each with its own very distinct themes that all build upon the others. Even Prometheus. Hick's was cool but not cool enough to retcon two entire films and take a dump on a series that maintained it's storytelling integrity for this long.

I will also call it now: If this gets retconned, what you will end up with is fans endlessly shredding apart what aspects of the mythology no longer make sense, like the star wars  prequels. Mark my words, those two films added an infinite amount to the series that many fans of a retcon aren't even aware that they are applauding be ignored, and when it's done, it will have opened a giant can of worms that won't be able to be undone.

To those saying how great this sounds, well how great did all the same people think Prometheus sounded until they saw it? What about A:CM? Remember how excited everyone was when they heard Hicks was back? I like Prometheus, I would hate it if it trashed the continuity. I even don't mind the Hicks elements in A:CM, but the game sucked. And the odds are thats the same can of worms doing something like this will be. Retcons of any kind, or any new information that changes what people already knew/learned or accepted previously, just makes a big mess out of things. Continuity is one of the most important facets of storytelling. Messing with it is always, always a bad idea.

I will also suggest, that all attempts to make sequels after A3 have failed precisely because they tried to make things more like Aliens.

Doesn't anyone else find it hard to take the new Terminator trailer's seriously because of the retconing?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 26, 2015, 07:24:56 AM
I will also call it now: If this gets retconned, what you will end up with is fans endlessly shredding apart what aspects of the mythology no longer make sense, like the star wars  prequels.

Is that a warning or a promise?

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 26, 2015, 07:47:28 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 26, 2015, 07:24:56 AM
I will also call it now: If this gets retconned, what you will end up with is fans endlessly shredding apart what aspects of the mythology no longer make sense, like the star wars  prequels.

Is that a warning or a promise?

Its a straight up guarantee. As a long time fan, this will do to this series what the Star Wars Prequels did to Star Wars. Even if the film is good. Too much time has passed, too many things will have to be feel shoe-horned, fans will miss things that are scrapped, and if no one will be completely satisfied anyway, it's pointless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed