Surviving Extraordinary Circumstances, Reviewing Aliens: Resistance & Rescue

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 27, 2020, 06:54:10 AM

Author
Surviving Extraordinary Circumstances, Reviewing Aliens: Resistance & Rescue (Read 5,407 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 101st episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! In this episode Corporal Hicks and RidgeTop are joined by Bradley John Suedbeck of Aliens Gateway Station to discuss the Alien: Isolation and Aliens: Defiance sequel comics, Aliens: Resistance and Rescue!

We talk about Amanda Ripley's return, we dig into Weyland-Yutani's blacksite, admire Pulse Rifles, how interesting Alec Brand is as a character, and plenty more! This episode was recorded prior to the announcement of Alien: The Original Screenplay which is why it's not mentioned when we talk about upcoming titles.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, YouTube and now Spotify! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

DaniilLogOut

I'm going to listen shit out of it right now !

Whiskeybrewer

Recently read all of Rescue and at the end i was just like. Thats It?

426Buddy

Good podcast again fellas. Had me crackin up when Ridgetop couldnt just recap the story lol.

My opinion is the same, pretty poor series and just wasted opportunity. Rescue was just bad.

Xiggz456

Good podcast fellas! It amazes me that Dark Horse even allowed Rescue to be published... it's just sooo poorly written. And although I'm still bummed that Rising Threat was cancelled, I'm glad because Wood didn't deserve to write another Aliens comic after this sad excuse for a story. I hadn't even thought of the gravity on a planet 10x the size of Earth... yet another reason why this story is so dumb. I also don't get why Wood chose Brand as the main character of this story as opposed to Zula and Amanda. They're who we care about not Brand. Anyway I'm ranting now haha.

DaniilLogOut

You know the story is bad when even Hicks can't be patient about it.

The Old One

The Old One

Oh boy do I agree, awful story.

Ultramorph

Need to give this a listen tonight!

Agreed that Rescue was pretty much total crap. Probably the worst mini we've gotten since the new EU started in 2013. That's a shame because Resistance was fairly interesting.

Good riddance to this author either way.

The Old One

The Old One

Great discussion though seriously, I'd love to join sometime.

DaniilLogOut

I'd like to hear you on the show too !  :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 29, 2020, 06:21:42 PM
Agreed that Rescue was pretty much total crap. Probably the worst mini we've gotten since the new EU started in 2013. That's a shame because Resistance was fairly interesting.

Turned out that Rescue really wound me up.

QuoteGood riddance to this author either way.

Agreed.

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 29, 2020, 10:00:09 PM
Great discussion though seriously, I'd love to join sometime.

Duly noted!

TheDerelict

Ahh, great podcast. I have been looking forward to this one and you guys didn't disappoint.
I'm going to chime in with a thought about 'rescue' that I'm not sure has been mentioned. Reading the single issues there was something off with the Aliens in terms of their art style and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then yesterday the TPB dropped through the letterbox and it all fell into place.
As a great man once said "you may not of noticed it. But your brain did."
Kieran Mckeowns artwork of the aliens is identical to  other artists artwork of the aliens. Namely Mignola (salvation) and Jones (hive). And I'm not talking an image used for inspiration, they are complete ripoffs. Mckeowns artwork changes depending on what his aliens are doing in the panel. There are a couple other copied images too but those are the two main ones. And it happens quite often for it to be a coincidence.
I'm struggling to come to terms with how I feel about this 🤔
I remember hicks saying that he didn't like aliens fire and stone artwork because the aliens were copied from figure poses or something like that?
Then surely Mckeown has committed the highest sacrilege.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd equate Resistance and Rescue to Fire and Stone in nearly all regards honestly.

426Buddy

F&S is way better than rescue/resistance.

Predator F&S is actually pretty great and Ahab is perhaps my favorite Predator. Also Prometheus F&S has some really cool art and some parts of the story are neat. Elden unleashimg the Aliens on his ship had some nice tension.

Now I agree that AvP F&S, Omega, and the story overall are complete rubbish. However there are some good qualities sprinkled throughout the run. Thats far more than I can say for rescue.

The Old One

The Old One

Okay, yeah I agree, but it's the overall fact that Fire and Stone is rubbish as you say that I remember mostly, although Resistance and Rescue is just, nothing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed