Which upcoming Alien sequel would you rather see?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 20, 2015, 03:46:48 PM

If you could only choose one what would it be?

Alien 5- Taking place in the Alien universe with the other 4 films
25 (53.2%)
Prometheus 2
2 (4.3%)
Alien 5- taking place right after Prometheus 2
4 (8.5%)
Alien 5 retconned after Aliens
16 (34%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author
Which upcoming Alien sequel would you rather see? (Read 6,827 times)

szkoki

this retconing could make a really decent South Park episode

Adam802

I just cant accept it taking place after the 4 alien movies bc that would require picking up after Resurrection......which was trash.  And so is the character of Ripley 8.  Sorry.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 12:03:17 AMAnd so is the character of Ripley 8.

The character of Ripley 8 is one of the few truly decent things about that movie. She just wasn't explored anything like as well as she should have been.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. Ripley 8 has some amazing potential to delve into. Her connection between humanity and the truly Alien could be a wonderful canvas to paint on.

Liberator

I would love to see Prometheus 2, but I had to choose between a retconned Alien 5 after Aliens I would pick that, provided it starred Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn again.  I have wanted to see a legitimate sequel to Aliens for almost thirty years.

Gash

I've wanted to see a worthy sequel to  A L I E N  for 36 years. If we're supporting retconning, let's go all the way and excise Aliens too.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Gash on Feb 26, 2015, 10:30:38 AM
I've wanted to see a worthy sequel to  A L I E N  for 36 years. If we're supporting retconning, let's go all the way and excise Aliens too.
Good god. I'd love to see that discussion.

OpenMaw

I actually find that idea particularly interesting. Not because I agree with Gash on Aliens, but just because there was an entire world of horror and mystery within Alien that we have never actually seen explored, at all, not even remotely.

whiterabbit

Yea it did just become a bug hunt with a final boss. I'd actually like to see something different, sans the queen. I mean I love aliens but I don't want another aliens, I want something more horrifying I guess than action suspense. I'd like to see a different bred of alien or maybe another life cycle. That's past cocooning and mutation.

Rankles75

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 26, 2015, 12:07:10 PM
Yea it did just become a bug hunt with a final boss. I'd actually like to see something different, sans the queen. I mean I love aliens but I don't want another aliens, I want something more horrifying I guess than action suspense. I'd like to see a different bred of alien or maybe another life cycle. That's past cocooning and mutation.

Agree that doing another Aliens with a new crew of Marines as xeno-fodder would be a bad idea. Couldn't possibly improve on Aliens, wouldn't progress the story and it would just be lazy. I would prefer to see elements of both Alien and Aliens in there. Blomkamp's concept art seemed to show a victim of egg-morphing so it would be interesting to see that expanded on in the film...

TimmyTurnersDad

I think this might be one of the most telling examples of how the more "hardcore" fans differ from the more general fanbase. The idea of continuing after Alien: Resurrection is winning by a landslide here, but most other places I've seen this being discussed at are eagerly hoping for Alien 3 and A:R to be retconned out of existence.

Personally, I'd be open to just about any approach for a new Alien sequel, provided that it was executed well. However for argument's sake, I voted for this to act as a sequel to Aliens and erase A3 and A:R from the canon. Surprising as it might sound to folks here, I actually think it's probably the easiest route available for the series to produce a new and truly well-done sequel.

It's really not as hard as a lot of people here make it out to be: Alien -> Aliens -> Blomkamp's Alien.

If it were a sequel to Resurrection, I think it'd be really tricky and difficult to actually produce a quality film that will go over well with the general audiences. Things got... weird with A:R, and I think that the only way to continue that story and make it both compelling and a quality film would be to only delve deeper into that oddity. If pulled off properly, it could make for a cool film, but I think it'd be far too easy to screw something like that up. Moreover, even if it were done well, I'm not sure how well it'd go over with the general fans.

Meanwhile, creating a new story that follows Aliens not only keeps things simple, but it also provides plenty of possibilities for a compelling storyline too. Let's consider that for a moment: Alien introduces Ripley as a natural survivor who barely escapes the "dragon," Aliens continues her arc by presenting her as someone struggling with PTSD, as a mother and ultimately confronting her fears head-on.

Where do you take Ripley after Aliens? Where is she emotionally and mentally thirty-plus years later? I have a feeling that's been a big part of what Sigourney Weaver and Neill Blomkamp have been discussing over the past year in planning out this new story.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Mmmm, delicious necrophilia and cannibalism...

Valaquen

Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on Feb 26, 2015, 12:33:52 PM
I think this might be one of the most telling examples of how the more "hardcore" fans differ from the more general fanbase. The idea of continuing after Alien: Resurrection is winning by a landslide here, but most other places I've seen this being discussed at are eagerly hoping for Alien 3 and A:R to be retconned out of existence.

Truth is, the internet rounds up all of us disparate fanboys and throws us into one large echo chamber where we all think the same thing (Alien canonicity) is important. It's not.

Biggest irony for me is the pro-Alien 3 "Get over it crowd" suddenly becoming flabbergasted and incensed at the idea of killing off Alien 3 :P

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 26, 2015, 06:00:57 PM
Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on Feb 26, 2015, 12:33:52 PM

Truth is, the internet rounds up all of us disparate fanboys and throws us into one large echo chamber where we all think the same thing (Alien canonicity) is important. It's not.

Biggest irony for me is the pro-Alien 3 "Get over it crowd" suddenly becoming flabbergasted and incensed at the idea of killing off Alien 3 :P

Explain what's ironic about it? Apples and pears / fałse equivalency.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Gash on Feb 26, 2015, 10:30:38 AM

With Aliens being one of my most favorite films of all time, I could actually get behind this if it was gone right.  Maybe we could get back to the alien being a psycho-sexual, perpetually decaying avatar of nihilism that it was originally intended to be.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed