More Aliens: Colonial Marines Concept Art

Started by ikarop, Feb 14, 2013, 03:32:15 AM

Author
More Aliens: Colonial Marines Concept Art (Read 41,986 times)

livin_target

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 20, 2013, 11:56:03 PM
Does the phrase, 'If it aint broke, don't fix it!' mean nothing to these fools?

-Windebieste.

It really annoys me when they go overboard with the designs. It's true that Alien 3 did establish that an alien does inherit traits from it's host but have a look how it's presented: it's all very subtle. To those that are fans of the movies, there are obvious differences but to the more casual viewer, the alien looks the same as any other alien- hell, they'd probably be able to tell the difference between Giger's classic design and Winston's revised version quicker than trying to discern between the original and the dog/ox alien.

QuoteLess in numbers doesn't mean less scary game.

Very true. I think the reason that aliens aren't scary in games anymore isn't because we know them too well; it's because we've made them too easy to deal with. In recent games, you can do things like rifle butt them in the face, kick them off your body and catch facehuggers in mid air. They aren't frightening because they aren't threatening to the player.

SM

QuoteThe technology is at hand.  It's about time we saw a truly remarkable ALIEN themed game - with creatures at least as faithful to the original inspiration.  A walking biomechanical nightmare that actively stalks its frightened, and largely defenseless prey. 

Except the prey - ie. you, the player - isn't especially frightened and can just shoot the nightmare in the face.

QuoteThe original design does everything it should as intended, why does everyone in the position of making any form of sequel or media based on the ALIEN licence even want to change or interfere with it? 

A desire not to completely copy or repeat something that's already been done before.  This shouldn't however apply to computer games when they can easily fulfill both functions by having an Alien like the original (and they often do) and then have other Aliens that they can muck around with the design on.

But then they sadly come up with Boilers and Spitters...

PRJ_since1990

Boilers, I felt were just awful. If an Alien dies, there will be acid blood spilled, why does there need to be a "L4D Boomer" type? The Alien does not have eyes, so calling it blind to begin with is redundant. So they only hunt by sound? Did the nasty crap that mutated them or got baked on ruin their other senses? Unfortunately, besides the chase scenes with the Raven, this was the only other nerve-wrecking part of the game that gave me the chills I wanted uniformly throughout the game. And after the first time, it wasn't scary anymore.

Spitters, I can live with. The design could have been a bit better, but I liked the idea that they were unique like certain kinds of snakes that spit venom. Better than the ones from AvP 2010 that were just dull grey in color.

Jarac

Quote from: Powerloader on Dec 14, 2013, 03:56:05 AM
Some of the concept art looked really intriguing, such as the depiction of cities (possibly on Earth):

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/games/alienscm/conceptart/thumb_concept06.jpg

It looks like they had a bigger scope for this game planned but they never got around to it for some reason, possibly time/money.

They never got around to it because all they cared about was Borderlands.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Jarac on Dec 20, 2013, 06:01:43 AM
Some of the concept art looked really intriguing, such as the depiction of cities (possibly on Earth):

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/games/alienscm/conceptart/thumb_concept06.jpg

It looks like they had a bigger scope for this game planned but they never got around to it for some reason, possibly time/money.

Bam!

I love Borderlands though. But I look at games individually. I think that's fair. For instance, I liked Prototype but never cared for Call of Duty. Same publisher: Activision.

Jarac

Jarac

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 20, 2013, 06:07:30 AM
Quote from: Jarac on Dec 20, 2013, 06:01:43 AM

Bam!

I love Borderlands though. But I look at games individually. I think that's fair. For instance, I liked Prototype but never cared for Call of Duty. Same publisher: Activision.

Meh, never really cared for Borderlands. Just isn't my cup of tea. What makes me despise it and Gearbox now, though, is that (if the rumors are true, and I believe them) Gearbox spent money and time meant for Colonial Marines and put it towards Borderlands 2. Let alone the fact that they lied to everyone about what was going on with the game the whole time.

PRJ_since1990

To each their own. But yeah, I know what you mean. I feel cheated with ACM but thoroughly enjoyed BL2. ACM will go down in history in being one of the worst Aliens related games but also one of the most blatantly deceitful marketing campaigns in recent memory.

ikarop

PVTDukeMorrison

What happened...

Arterial Spray

Do you think the big hole in the hull of the Sulaco is from back when Aliens: Infestation and A:CM shared a plot/ran parallel?   ;D

WinterActual

This one is awesome!

ikarop

ikarop

SM

Sister ship to USCS Kim Deal.

WinterActual

So much wasted potential  :'(

PVTDukeMorrison

If we ever get another Aliens game those WY mercs in the concept need to make an appearance, they look badass. And at one point O'neal had a dog and didn't look like a Sons of Anarchy reject. Seriously, f**k Gearbox and everything they stand for...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed