[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series!

Started by RidgeTop, Jan 11, 2022, 10:20:03 PM

Author
[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series! (Read 25,406 times)

Immortan Jonesy

I'd be delighted to see a design more faithful to Giger's Alien. But regardless of that, they'll do their job well. Weta's trajectory guarantee that.

Local Trouble

Yeesh, all this optimism.  Watch them reward you all by changing everything...

BlueMarsalis79

I don't have an issue with changes necessarily, I adore every iteration of the Alien in the first three films, and Isolation's.

Immortan Jonesy

I am optimistic because of the quality that Weta has developed over the years. But of course if we become Alien nerds, there will be details here and there. The good news is, it's not going to look like a cheap monster show.

Isolation got it right. They kept the Giger's aesthetic but gave the Alien a sense of locomotion more apt for the animation and stunts that the creature was supposed to do in the video game.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Though impressed with WETA's work there's the question how much f this will be practical vs CGI, there also there concern for the budget and quality of the CGI.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 12, 2022, 01:30:39 AM
I am optimistic because of the quality that Weta has developed over the years. But of course if we become Alien nerds, there will be details here and there. The good news is, it's not going to look like a cheap monster show.

Isolation got it right. They kept the Giger's aesthetic but gave the Alien a sense of locomotion more apt for the animation and stunts that the creature was supposed to do in the video game.

Nailed it.

TC

Technically, the 2 sister companies are now "Weta Workshop" and "Weta FX" ( not Weta Digital). Weta Digital was sold off to Unity at Xmas of last year. Unity got the R & D computer scientists and proprietary toolsets, as well as the brand name. But thus far they intend to leave them in situ in Wellington. The CG artists, however, remain with the other Peter Jackson companies under the new branding "Weta FX".

Does this change anything about their work? Not materially,  I think. But you can bet James Cameron held his breath wondering how this was going to affect his Avatar films.

TC

[cancerblack]

TC makes some very important technical points, and good on him for elucidating that.

Personally, this is where I dip out. I don't like Hawley or his general vibe. I'm not interested in his core themes for this series.

I also have personal beef with Weta Workshop and Weta FX due to having a bad time with former and current employees of both groups.

Even if this ends up being pretty good, I will not be able to enjoy it due to the scummy people involved, who (for arguably stupid reasons) I have an intense dislike of.

I genuinely hope the rest of you have a blast with it though. Peace out.

RidgeTop

Quote from: TC on Jan 12, 2022, 01:46:44 AM
Technically, the 2 sister companies are now "Weta Workshop" and "Weta FX" ( not Weta Digital). Weta Digital was sold off to Unity at Xmas of last year. Unity got the R & D computer scientists and proprietary toolsets, as well as the brand name. But thus far they intend to leave them in situ in Wellington. The CG artists, however, remain with the other Peter Jackson companies under the new branding "Weta FX".

Does this change anything about their work? Not materially,  I think. But you can bet James Cameron held his breath wondering how this was going to affect his Avatar films.

TC

Noticed this upon research for the news but the branding and logo hasn't switched to WetaFX yet so decided to just stick with Weta Digital for this post, the sale just happened in December I think.

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 12, 2022, 05:37:53 AM
I genuinely hope the rest of you have a blast with it though. Peace out.

I thought you of all people would be pleased by this news, but you seem positively black-pilled.

Kradan

Will there be any practical Xenos though ?  :-\

SiL

Maybe.
I seriously doubt it, but it's possible.

RidgeTop

freshjim

Kradan

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed