The Predator Set Reports

Started by ace3g, Apr 07, 2018, 02:54:30 PM

Author
The Predator Set Reports (Read 47,446 times)

yautjapet

yautjapet

I think I'm definitely in the minority here as far as the "mystery" of the predators go! Mystery isn't something I need, personally. I'd love to know more about their culture, homeworld, traditions, and language, as well as the thoughts and personalities of them as individuals. A movie with a big chunk of time dedicated to the predator's perspective, or even a wholly pred-centric movie, would be a wet dream for me. Of course, then my own preferred theories about their culture would be erased by canon, so maybe you pro-mystery folks have got it right...!  ;)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Oh character is fine, and you can do a lot with the characters as individuals. Just look at Greyback. He's on screen for a minute and thirty seconds, if that, and there is so much raw juice in his short scene. A lot is said without any real dialogue beyond "Take it.."

I don't think being familiar with their societies inner workings would be a great idea. I think peaking behind the curtain and getting glimpses is far more effective. Dropping hints, and clues, red herrings, potential threads etc, is the far better way to go.

Again, the end of Predator 2 left us with at least three potential story opportunities going forward.

Hollywood

Hollywood

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 13, 2018, 12:34:04 AM
I don't think being familiar with their societies inner workings would be a great idea. I think peaking behind the curtain and getting glimpses is far more effective. Dropping hints, and clues, red herrings, potential threads etc, is the far better way to go.

I agree. Seeing too much, especially in a single film, won't be as fun. I hope we never get a movie that takes place on their home planet where their sociological functions are established.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Hollywood on Jun 13, 2018, 01:33:23 PM

I agree. Seeing too much, especially in a single film, won't be as fun. I hope we never get a movie that takes place on their home planet where their sociological functions are established.

+ 1000

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 13, 2018, 03:28:53 PM
Quote from: Hollywood on Jun 13, 2018, 01:33:23 PM

+ 1000

The biggest problem with establishing too much on film is that if it's done poorly and sucks, then it's too late. It's a done deal. Leaving us to imagine some of the motivations ourselves, allows everybody to input their own preferred ideas. Thus satisfying everybody. We already know the predators are a humanoid alien species with superior strength and technology. They arrive on space-ships and hunt humans for sport during times of conflict and in hot/humid environments. That's good enough for me.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Exactly.

Last thing we want is to have say, Harrigan and Dutch wake up on Predator Prime, and it's this arid ashen desert wasteland like out of a Mad Max movie or Pitch Black before the sun goes down. Big open orange sky, big ol' primordial sun. We can see two neighboring planets in mid collision up there. Then, Dutch and Harrigan see all the Predators, thousands and thousands of them. Cheering and shouting in Predatorese. At the top of a mound of bones and carcasses sits a Predator twice as big as the rest - The Predator King. He's seated in a chair made of skull and bone and animal hides, flanked by curvaceous and thicc Predator "wenches" laying on their sides like they are posing for a demented swimsuit issue. They coo and purr as he smashes a human skull across his throne. Two Predator guards approach Dutch and Harrigan, wielding staff weapons. Is this some form of trial, or execution? No. The guards drop the staffs at their feet, growling low at the two men, before turning and marching away. "Dey want us to fight. Fo dere amusemant." "I'm gettin' too old for this shit."

...But I digress...

Some of the best moments relating to the Predator are where almost nothing is actually said, just inferred or implied.

That look at the end of Predator that Dutch get's on his face. He doesn't even have to say anything. Just a ominous glance out the window and bam. We all know it. "There will be more."

PredBabe

PredBabe

Whatever I wanna see a toddler predator.

But on a more serious note, yes, glimpses are more effective in general for these movies

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: PredBabe on Jun 14, 2018, 03:25:42 AM
Whatever I wanna see a toddler predator.

But on a more serious note, yes, glimpses are more effective in general for these movies

Gotta wonder what the terrible 2's are like.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Probably pretty terrible...

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

So do we know if
Spoiler
the spider Pred hybrids
[close]
got cut or not? I'm looking forward to some of the crazier stuff.

skhellter

skhellter

they are in the film.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: PredBabe on Jun 14, 2018, 04:12:11 AM
Probably pretty terrible...

He is in way over his head  :D

Spoiler

Whiney toddlers seem to be present throughout all races of the galaxy.

I searched high and low for the artist and could not find them.
[close]

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jun 14, 2018, 02:25:03 PM
So do we know if
Spoiler
the spider Pred hybrids
[close]
got cut or not? I'm looking forward to some of the crazier stuff.

There hasn't been any indication otherwise, to my knowledge.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 14, 2018, 02:25:33 PM
they are in the film.

Great! Since they went with the directon they did, Go all in. Bring in some crazy monster designs.

von

von

Quote from: bobby brown on Jun 14, 2018, 05:13:16 PM
Quote from: skhellter on Jun 14, 2018, 02:25:33 PM
they are in the film.

Great! Since they went with the directon they did, Go all in. Bring in some crazy monster designs.

Precisely what I've said before. Go nuts or go home! Last thing the franchise needs is another half-hearted attempt at a remake that couldn't decide if it was that or a reboot

Shaeffer11

Shaeffer11

Exactly what Von said-  100% agree, go nuts or go home

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed