Aliens: Colonial Marines in Edge Magazine [Updated]

Started by ikarop, Apr 17, 2012, 02:24:48 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines in Edge Magazine [Updated] (Read 27,185 times)

coolbreeze

Quote from: escroto on Apr 19, 2012, 11:34:40 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 19, 2012, 03:39:33 AMThey are supposed to be 8' tall after all.
yep, once upon a time when the aliens were the old human-like towering beasts we used to love..., now It is the time for the lol"alien", a tiny space lizard walking all day on Its four (to make It even smaller and pathetic, ooh ooh balance reasons shut up hater ROFL!!) designed to not scare too much these new generation fans, and overall, the goddamn casual audience..., the actual problem, like always.

ooohh how scary these lolaliens, right?

Give it a rest. Every thread you post in, you cry about the alien size. It's a tad redundant....

newbeing

Quote from: SM on Apr 19, 2012, 03:39:33 AM
Hard to tell.  Can't see his legs properly.

They are supposed to be 8' tall after all.

This one is a little clearer, or at least easier to determine their height differences since they are both taking a similar stance.

It's kind of hard to judge just how tall the Aliens are in the actual gameplay since they have their knees bent most of the time.

escroto

Quote from: coolbreeze on Apr 19, 2012, 01:26:27 PMGive it a rest. Every thread you post in, you cry about the alien size. It's a tad redundant....
thanks for the heads up ;D. You may now crawl back to your hole and come back next spring

@_Newbeing: Newbeing, mate, I've followed you for long on the GB forum; i know you are the only fan, at least here that got a brain. You know the roflalien in the pic you posted is about to land from a pounce attack. You have seen the videos too and have also sure noticed their ridiculously and pathetically laughable size when you meet them head on and are on their 2.

Come on man, you at least are always doubting about this. I'm not trying to convince you about anything and less this bunch of dudes who are happy with any crap they are given. You are better than this, and you know these aliens aren't first Cameraliens and second don't size even by far what a towering Cameralien beast did in the past.

You better than any other person here know these trolololaliens we are given since avp2010 are made with the casual audience in mind, and If you force me, with kids in mind too. Heyy, be ware we may scare them If we put this audience in a fight against the true old aliens, Giger's and Cameron's.

Vulhala

escroto, stop making blanket statements about the community here.

D.R.

Man as cool as the game looks, I'm still disappointed the Aliens look heavily influenced by ADI's work in AR. IE dinosaur legs, fin tails, thin back spines, hands from AR, etc...

I read some people say they got rid of the fin tail but I still see it in the pic where the alien is on top of the guy and they make a remark about chiropractors

Not trying to rain on anyone's picnic, I really hope the game is cool but for some reason I can't get past the fact that they have permission from 20th Century Fox to do a direct sequel to Aliens and they choose to play fast and loose with the design of the title creature.

In case anyone is wondering, yes I would have preferred a tall skinny guy in a suit/puppet look as opposed to an idealized, animal, animated look. When I say guy in a suit I don't mean go out of their way to make it look like a suit (no spandex for example), just keep in mind that is what was seen in the film and it worked great, so to emulate that would make sense. I mean if they went all the way accurate with the design, and used movement based on puppets and stunt men on wires etc, I don't see how that could be looked at as a bad thing.

Also, to make myself even more of a nit picker/ horrible person, I would have added a third person and single player option, meaning no other marines following me around ever. I just think it's more fun to play a scary game alone without ai partners or friends.

Third person imho would help the scale of the aliens in that you could see how big they are in relation to you; where as in first person you have no peripheral vision or depth perception up close. In first person when an alien gets close it's like they emulate a wide lens giving the alien an unflattering look. With third person they could emulate a longer lens and the aliens would have enough distance from the "camera" so your interactions with them would look more in line with what was seen in the film. The reason I feel this is important in this game has a lot to do with the shape of the alien's head. It's so three dimensional already that to exaggerate that with faux fish-eye effect imo is a little much and throws the proportions off in a way that is undesirable.

OK I'm stepping off the old soap box.

Predaker

It seems the giger alien (lurker) will have the ability to pounce/pin marines, but the warrior aliens will not. I wonder what special attacks the warriors will have? Hopefully nothing like the "e grab" mechanic. Scripted insta-kills tend to reduce player strategies into button mashing.

escroto

Quote from: P.B. on Apr 19, 2012, 04:44:40 PMMan as cool as the game looks, I'm still disappointed the Aliens look heavily influenced by ADI's work in....
Finally, someone who really knows what the aliens were once, and what they have been turned into since AR and AVP.

Well said man, stick to this forum, you are really needed here to spread common sense and counter irrational blind fanboism and casual audiences alike who don't give a damn about such an important thing, because, what can be more important in an aliens game than the very aliens?, well they don't see things this way, great...

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 19, 2012, 05:20:26 PM
It seems the giger alien (lurker) will have the ability to pounce/pin marines, but the warrior aliens will not. I wonder what special attacks the warriors will have? Hopefully nothing like the "e grab" mechanic. Scripted insta-kills tend to reduce player strategies into button mashing.
It seems the "press E to win" thing has come back for another round in ACM, or at least that's what we can see in the video, and the marine who is insanely shooting at that attempt of giger's lololalien lurker, or stalker, or whatever that tiny thing is couldn't kill It eventually, and the marine partner died "E lol'd"

Vulhala

Pretty sure I said stop a few posts ago. One more and I'll remove your ability to post.

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: newbeing on Apr 19, 2012, 01:45:07 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 19, 2012, 03:39:33 AM
Hard to tell.  Can't see his legs properly.

They are supposed to be 8' tall after all.

This one is a little clearer, or at least easier to determine their height differences since they are both taking a similar stance.

It's kind of hard to judge just how tall the Aliens are in the actual gameplay since they have their knees bent most of the time.

okay, i'm just noticing, holy f**k look at the perspective of the smartgun. there's no way that image has not been manipulated in some way, the angle is completely off.

escroto

The image is manipulated because in the videos they aren't like that when head on and on Its two (the only time they get on Its two btw, when they are close and about attacking, like in AVP2010, right the same). Whatsmore, they are even smaller than marines when head on... This is all in those videos, It is painfully obvious.

That particular lolalien in the pic seems to be doing a pounce attack, so It is still in the air. Also, I guess no comment needed about that pic,which  like any other else is photoshopped to death.

PVTDukeMorrison

This escroto really likes to piss people off...

Vulhala

That'll do.

Predaker

Leaping or not, the alien warrior's body is still significantly longer than the marine's body in comparison. That guy looks pretty big, too.

The puppets used for the alien warriors in the second movie were approx. 8 ft tall but the actual film didn't really contain any solid references to exact height. The giger alien was shorter in the first film. (The actor was 6'10" without the suit/costume - dressed up he was about two inches taller) The point is that aliens were meant to be big and scary on screen.

Keep up the good work gearbox! I am ready to see some alien multiplayer gameplay.

newbeing

newbeing

Yeah... It looks like a lot of these screenshots are doctored. The actual gameplay looks WAY better. Not sure why they still feel the need to set up shots like these.

Predaker

Quote from: newbeing on Apr 19, 2012, 09:06:53 PM
Yeah... It looks like a lot of these screenshots are doctored. The actual gameplay looks WAY better. Not sure why they still feel the need to set up shots like these.
That is awesome to hear the actual gameplay looks better than the doctored pics. I imagine they did these doctored shots to show off the game engine while saving time to work on more important things.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed