Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 152,145 times)

Gazz

Gazz

So it's on for a $10 million or above weekend if it follows the previous two weekends trends (low Fri, high Sat and Sun hold).

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

Today's showings of the Prometheus at my work: almost full house. I was very happy about that :)

Prime113

Prime113

Prometheus has now passed $100 million in the domestic box office. \m/

LiquidMonster

LiquidMonster

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 23, 2012, 09:43:21 PM

This is a pretty amazing achievement. There are not many "R" rated movies
that get close to that anymore.

Bring on the sequel.

r888

r888

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 23, 2012, 09:43:21 PM

Good good good

Gazz

Gazz

So by the end of this today the film would have surpassed AvP and Alien Resurrections adjusted domestic totals to become 3rd in the Alien franchise with a few weeks still yet to come.

It wont touch the adjusted domestic totals of Alien and Aliens though. Still a woop.

So it's a $10 million weekend (possibly more when the actuals come in... it has been for the past couple).

World Wide is currently at $260 million with key territories such as Japan, Germany, Italy and Spain still yet to open (China does not have a date).

El Diablo

El Diablo

Officially the first in the series to break $100 million. Nice.  :)

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:    $108,547,000      41.6%
+ Foreign:    $152,400,000      58.4%
= Worldwide:    $260,947,000   

Approaching 300 Million  :)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

It's gotta make just a bit more to make back its budget stateside. If that happens, I imagine it'd be hard for the studio heads not to greenlight it.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

In two weeks or less, the budget would have been made back, no problem.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 25, 2012, 05:48:21 PM
Not necessarily. The budget quoted does not necessarily reflect advertising costs, which are likely sizable considering all the viral marketing and worldwide publicity before release. PROMETHEUS' box office so far has not been that great when you compare it against its total budget. Unless the home video release sells very, very well, don't expect a sequel.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Advertising costs are never counted against a films budget though. Also, viral marketing likely costs next to nothing. They did however seem to shell out quite a bit of conventional advertising time on TV.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 25, 2012, 08:02:01 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 25, 2012, 05:48:21 PM
Not necessarily. The budget quoted does not necessarily reflect advertising costs, which are likely sizable considering all the viral marketing and worldwide publicity before release. PROMETHEUS' box office so far has not been that great when you compare it against its total budget. Unless the home video release sells very, very well, don't expect a sequel.
It's nearly made back its budget domestically, and made roughly the same outside of the US. That should cover most of the ad costs. Then there's DVD, merchandising etc.
And don't forget that this was up against some pretty stiff box office competition.

Gazz

Gazz

This whole comparing against total budget and advertising costs has become an entirely new thing altogether. Films like X Men First Class and Star Trek wouldn't be receiving sequels if that was truly the case. Also, it seems to be forgetting that a portion of the advertising budget goes towards sub sections of the same media empire (fox owned magazines, newspapers, television channels, cinemas etc.). I guess people are too concerned twisting the stats to make something sound overly positive/ negative than it seems.

I mean if we look at X Men First Class we see a film that cost $30 million more than Prometheus and ended with a total gross that won't be all that far off ($350 million). This is despite having a PG13 rating and a profitable series behind it.

Prometheus is an R Rated adult sci fi film following 4 consecutive failures and is essentially the reboot of a series that has never really been the cash cow people seem to think it is. Even with it's "disappointing" domestic box office performance Prometheus is the 3rd highest grossing film in a 7 film series. And that's after adjusting for inflation. It's no runaway success but it'll be into profit by the time the home market release comes about and Fox have always wanted to push the series forward (just as they are doing X-Men despite Wolverine and First Class hitting similar numbers in relation to their budgets). I don't see why a sequel is out of reach in the slightest.

LiquidMonster

LiquidMonster

It's no use talking about Hollywood budgets and "breaking even". These are the same types of folks who claimed the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy didn't make a profit which prompted Peter Jackson and New Line to get in legal tassles over. New Line ultimately paid Jackson big money to settle the issue.

I'm sure there are some folks in Hollywood that would have you believe James Cameron's "Avatar" still hasn't turned a profit.  ::)

Most "informed" ie; not braindead folks say that in order for a movie to "break even" it must earn back its production budget plus another 40-50% on top of that for advertising and print duplication, etc. I tend to think that any movie doubling its budget is successful.

"Prometheus" with it's worldwide total has already come close to breaking even and will end up with a nice profit for Twentieth Century Fox. Add in the eventual 3-D Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray, DVD and digital download copies when it goes on sale for the home market and it's looking even better.

Day 1 for the 3-D Blu-Ray release for me btw. :)

I suspect we'll hear Fox making an official sequel announcement before the end of the year.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed