Dark Horse Announces New Comic Series, Alien: The Original Screenplay!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 16, 2020, 08:06:38 PM

Author
Dark Horse Announces New Comic Series, Alien: The Original Screenplay! (Read 89,184 times)

Kailem

I love the 70's aesthetic these pages have.

Immortan Jonesy

Currently liking the new Space Jockey design. If someone reboot the universe someday, I hope to see fresh-looking designs like these ones  8)

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 25, 2020, 06:24:03 PM
"If that happens, both Cristiano and Guilherme already know what franchise entries they'd want to help cast in a new light.

"Prometheus," admitted Seixas. "I would try to go deeper on the philosophical level [while] at the same time, trying to fix some minor issues that some fans complain about it. I think it's an excellent movie that could go further on its ideas.""

Interesting...

Nice catch!  :o

SM

Would've preferred something that looked more Ron Cobb.  Not that this is bad.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I really like the art, but it's not at all what I expected.

I'm really glad it's a bit less pedestrian than the Gibson adaptation.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Feb 26, 2020, 03:00:30 AM

Doesn't sound like we're going to be seeing any previous explorations in either this or Predator. 100% completely new aesthetic take. Which is kinda cool, but honestly I'd have liked to have seen something more akin to the older concept art. But I'm excited.

The Old One

The Old One

Love it's just going pure original no expectations.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 26, 2020, 12:48:28 PM

Doesn't sound like we're going to be seeing any previous explorations in either this or Predator. 100% completely new aesthetic take. Which is kinda cool, but honestly I'd have liked to have seen something more akin to the older concept art. But I'm excited.

I'm very pleased with that new aesthetic approach actually, and regret checking out the preview. I want to judge all of this fully in context.

Immortan Jonesy

We haven't seen the pyramid yet, but aye. It's a little odd. Also, Ron Cobb's ships are amazing. Still looking forward  8)

Prez

Just a random thought. Could it be some IP infringement issue in drawing (no pun) upon those old artwork concepts? Not that I could see how given Fox own the IP but maybe there was some legal ramifications about using conceptual artwork originally designated for a movie only in other future media???

Corporal Hicks

I can't imagine so. Fox will own all the development work done on all the films.

SiL

Rights are highly segmented and compartmentalised, so it's actually possible in that Fox might not have granted them those particular rights, just the right to adapt the script.

I don't think it's the case, though.

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Feb 27, 2020, 12:36:18 PM
Rights are highly segmented and compartmentalised, so it's actually possible in that Fox might not have granted them those particular rights, just the right to adapt the script.

I don't think it's the case, though.

That was my thinking. Worked on many digital and print projects with various illustrators where their work agreement has strict usage restrictions around where and what those illustrations can be used on and for certain lengths of time too.

SiL

Copyright and IP law is a horrifying rabbit hole that would make Alice say "f**k this incomprehensible shit."

Immortan Jonesy

I am ignorant of that. I just thought they were the owners of Ron Cobb's designs for Alien, in the same way they own Giger's designs for the Space Jockey & Derelict, with the exception of everything else, outside Alien, done by the artist.  :P

TC

Most of the time the studio will own all work created for their IP, outright. I think what's being suggested is that Fox themselves put up the blocks on what they would allow an individual licensee to use from their archive. Like maybe they don't want to deplete the archival resource in one area when it might be more profitably exploited somewhere else.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed