Engineer height?

Started by (Bad Blood), Jun 21, 2021, 10:08:46 AM

Author
Engineer height? (Read 3,080 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Hey everyone! Just wanted to ask your thoughts on the ACTUAL height of the Engineers from Prometheus/Covenant. As websites list them as 9-12 feet but there is no way in my mind that the engineer in the movie could be even close to that height, more like 7 feet maybe 7.5 but 9 feet is a stretch of the imagination and the Engineers on "paradise" looked like they were even smaller. So what does everyone else think?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Jun 21, 2021, 10:08:46 AM
Hey everyone! Just wanted to ask your thoughts on the ACTUAL height of the Engineers from Prometheus/Covenant. As websites list them as 9-12 feet but there is no way in my mind that the engineer in the movie could be even close to that height, more like 7 feet maybe 7.5 but 9 feet is a stretch of the imagination and the Engineers on "paradise" looked like they were even smaller. So what does everyone else think?

9-12 feet is the canon-ish answer, the actor playing the Engineer in Prommy is just a smidge over 7 feet tall though.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I remember a whole lot of the advertising for Prometheus had the engineers always listed at 10'. 

He did look bigger but I attributed that to him being a soldier caste compared to the scrawny f**kers in Covenant. 

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Leaving artistic scope aside, I can't uneen the Jockey as a "SPARTAN Program" individual of its kind.  :laugh:

kwisatz

kwisatz

I suppose he's a "Sitzriese" though.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sitzriese

(Wow, there's actually no translation for it  :D)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

I see, yeah I kind of thought since the one in Prometheus looked so vastly different from the covenant ones that he was probably augmented or some kind of test dummy for all the stuff they were doing on that planet.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Jun 22, 2021, 02:07:48 AM
I see, yeah I kind of thought since the one in Prometheus looked so vastly different from the covenant ones that he was probably augmented or some kind of test dummy for all the stuff they were doing on that planet.

Military in advanced gear compared to borderline Amish civilians.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Really hard to tell regarding the Covenant ones, as we never see them in the same frame as a human, so there's no point of comparison. As for the Prometheus one, I'd be inclined to go with the official material rather than the height of the actor, and chalk it up to visual trickery like forced perspective etc. The Predator movies have done that with having performers standing on crates etc.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

I can adjust if the official information states they are 9-12 feet. It will take some time but I can accept it haha.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Shorter than it should be. I always hated how small they made him next to the original space jockey.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

9-10ft's actually fine in my opinion, when you measure the Space Jockey by the shots with Tom Skerritt right next to it, and not Ridley's children.

It being any larger gets into the unreasonable with it being unable to leave it's own ship doors.

It's a pity because I get the sense that if he did not have to account for the f**king 3D, Ridley could have used the techniques from LOTR to make Ian Whyte look around 10ft tall or larger, by having perspective trickery and compositing in a Pilot Chair more proportional to the actor that makes him look larger.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 23, 2021, 09:42:36 AM
9-10ft's actually fine in my opinion, when you measure the Space Jockey by the shots with Tom Skerritt right next to it, and not Ridley's children.

It being any larger gets into the unreasonable with it being unable to leave it's own ship doors.

It's a pity because I get the sense that if he did not have to account for the f**king 3D, Ridley could have used the techniques from LOTR to make Ian Whyte look around 10ft tall or larger, by having perspective trickery and compositing in a Pilot Chair more proportional to the actor that makes him look larger.

You know what, I completely forgot that Prometheus was a 3D film. I think you're probably right on the money there, along with the relative lack of gloomy interiors in the film overall.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah nowhere near worth the notable absence of atmosphere in the film.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jun 23, 2021, 01:12:14 AM
Shorter than it should be. I always hated how small they made him next to the original space jockey.

The height bothered me less than it being just a big bald dude. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed