Introducing The Predator's Emissary Predators!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 01, 2018, 12:00:49 PM

Author
Introducing The Predator's Emissary Predators! (Read 52,481 times)

Wysps

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2018, 07:57:32 PM
Quote from: MrPeterKeyes666 on Dec 08, 2018, 07:05:48 PM
Fred Dekker has posted an explanation of why the Emissary Predators were cut in the comments on his FB page.

Copy and paste of what he said -

QuoteIt was a mutual decision. We grew concerned that we were already making a movie that veered away from fan expectations, and when we showed it to some small, select audiences, our concerns were validated... so we removed the Emissaries AND the hybrids in favor of a traditional "hunt" finale, which -- in my opinion -- squandered the notion that the Predators have a larger, unseen civilization and other concerns besides sports hunting -- like, for instance, saving their civilization from extinction. It was decided that this, plus the humor in the film, was too much for the Predator fan base to swallow... and sadly, the box office and critical reception proved we were right. We should have made a cheaper, more predictable movie, and not tried to do something new.

But what do I know? I was just the co-writer.

Too much at one time.  If they had focused on adding new angles to the franchise in smaller doses, it could have gone a whole lot better.  But everything together was just...so, so much. 

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 09, 2018, 03:24:41 PM
Well to me it's a fake predator movie, pretty much a Shane Black movie, and a fun movie overall.

It was entertaining as far as monster movies go.  Maybe this is what fans thought when Predator first aired, "what a great monster movie!  Now lets move on..." except they (we) never did  :P

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Dec 09, 2018, 05:18:44 PM
It was entertaining as far as monster movies go.  Maybe this is what fans thought when Predator first aired, "what a great monster movie!  Now lets move on..." except they (we) never did  :P

At the time, based on my experience, being alive and excited my Mother was taking me to this Rated R movie called "Predator", people weren't calling it a great monster movie. They were calling it a great Schwarzenegger movie.

Yet to some of us, the guy sporting the mandibles was the true star!  ;D

brokentusk420

brokentusk420

Quote from: SiL on Dec 08, 2018, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 08, 2018, 01:10:31 PM
Speaking of comics, I think they can get away with "stylizing" Predator designs in ways that live action can't. Like there are a lot of Predator comics that heavily change up how Predator faces look ('Predator: Homeworld' comes to mind) and I can dig it on a "creative interpretation" level even if it's not my cup of tea, but translating some of those designs to live-action would be a disaster. :P I think a bunch of these concept drawings illustrate that pretty well.
Gillis mentioned in the podcast that having to design around putting a human head under the mask really changes how the head can look. A lot of fan art and comic stuff couldn't be done as suits that required an actor's eyes to be used in the mask, for example. Really interesting stuff.

That's a load of BS. Stan Winston studio made the original design with a human under the mask on mind TWICE and had zero problems.  It was his designs that made us all fall in love with this character.  Not Gillis and his cronies awful designs. All they have to do is give us the original designs with small tweaks.  Not these stupid looking crab shell head predators with these warped facial proportions.  All these designs including those derpy looking emissary costumes look like something someone dreamt up having seen predator only once and never again. Then they were asked to make a predator design with just that vague image their brain recalled. Like I've said before this movie is a hollow barley recognizable shell of a predator.

SiL

You've completely misunderstood the point of what was being said. Nobody was saying that the bad designs are excused because they had to make them around a human head. The point was simply that a lot of the variations we see in comics and fan art wouldn't actually work if you had to make them as something that would fit onto an actor's face. That's all.

Rick

Rick

Pff. It's totally unwatchable. I've watched some weirdness in my time but this is a WHOLE other level of junk! It makes no sense and I am never watching it again. Offensive and rubbish on EVERY level. We were 'Rick Rolled'.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Dec 09, 2018, 11:54:03 PM
You've completely misunderstood the point of what was being said. Nobody was saying that the bad designs are excused because they had to make them around a human head. The point was simply that a lot of the variations we see in comics and fan art wouldn't actually work if you had to make them as something that would fit onto an actor's face. That's all.
While that's true (and is an interesting component of creature I hadn't given a lot of thought to), does ADI try to use that point for justification in why the Predator heads look the way they do? Because in that case, I think brokentusk has a point that the first two movies didn't have that problem.
I'm genuinely asking because I haven't listened to the podcast.

SiL

It's one of the reasons Predator heads in general look the way they do. He says that the two Emissary Predators look different to each other because one actor's eyes are closer together. He also said Wolf had a differently shaped head without the mask because they weren't restricted by using the actor's eyes.

It's just something that is always taken into consideration in costume designs that fans and comics don't worry about, not an excuse for anything.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Dec 11, 2018, 09:26:43 AM
It's one of the reasons Predator heads in general look the way they do. He says that the two Emissary Predators look different to each other because one actor's eyes are closer together. He also said Wolf had a differently shaped head without the mask because they weren't restricted by using the actor's eyes.
That's really interesting, thanks. :)

Wysps

I appreciate Kyle's getting into character LOL

ace3g

The Old One

The Old One

"We should have made a cheaper, more predictable movie, and not tried to do something new."

You should've wrote something good
ya' f**kin' hack.

New ideas aren't bad in of themselves,
your new ideas are.

Still Collating...

Yeah, that does sound bitter, like he's trying to shift the blame onto the audience. Never insult the audience. Dumb ideas get a pass if they're executed well and if the movie is extremely fun. There were not enough merits here to forgive the hideously bad ideas. They didn't work, that's all. People didn't like them enough, the end.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

AhabPredator

Here's some work that will give ADI a run for their money.

https://www.facebook.com/InkFxTion-Studios-275830922437192/?ti=as

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed