Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 93,990 times)

Voodoo Magic

SiL

Nice breakdown! It's good to finally have the full text of Disney's latest counterclaim so we know where everything stands.

Proteus

Quote from: SiL on Apr 24, 2021, 12:18:20 PM
Nice breakdown! It's good to finally have the full text of Disney's latest counterclaim so we know where everything stands.

It feels like Disney is grasping at straws here. Those of you with legal experience: does Disney even have valid points of the first two termination dates? I'm thinking the judge is going to read through that first one, roll their eyes, and grant the brothers their claim.

I'm hoping Disney at that point opens Scrooge McDuck's massive vault of gold and tells the brothers to take what they want and leave the rights.

SiL

That they're only going after the first two seems reasonable. If the first had an incorrect copyright number and the second was too short a notice, fine. But they don't even touch the third notice, so it seems as though they're accepting that one is valid.

Now we see the full wording of the claim it looks like disney is just trying to have the soonest two dates thrown out on technicalities, but is resigned to the third. So unless they renegotiate, expect the rights to revert by 2023

SuperiorIronman

Assuming Skulls does well I can imagine they'd negotiate with the brothers for the film rights.

The Necronoir

Quote from: SiL on Apr 24, 2021, 01:10:42 PM
That they're only going after the first two seems reasonable. If the first had an incorrect copyright number and the second was too short a notice, fine. But they don't even touch the third notice, so it seems as though they're accepting that one is valid.

Now we see the full wording of the claim it looks like disney is just trying to have the soonest two dates thrown out on technicalities, but is resigned to the third. So unless they renegotiate, expect the rights to revert by 2023

I'm inclined to view that purely as a tactic to avoid a preliminary injunction. If they're seen to agree to one of the dates the brothers are willing to accept, the judge is less likely to put a freeze on any projects in the interim. Meanwhile, Disney gets another two years to assess their position and either attempt to negotiate, launch a legal offensive, or (least likely) just let the rights revert.

Proteus

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 24, 2021, 01:37:07 PM
Assuming Skulls does well I can imagine they'd negotiate with the brothers for the film rights.

That's assuming and hoping a judge doesn't pass an injunction and favors Disney's claims on the first two termination notices. Then, if SKULLS is allowed to proceed on course with filming, they have to release that film no later than fall next year to give time at box office and show those numbers.

Fingers crossed, mate.

molasar

As always, good job VM.

Voodoo Magic

Thanks brother! And SiL too. Much appreciated.

Master

Great job indeed Guys!

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Top tier synthesis, Voodoo! Now I understand it much better. Thank you very much. :)

Voodoo Magic

That's great to hear IJ! Thanks so much!

Quote from: The Necronoir on Apr 24, 2021, 01:40:32 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 24, 2021, 01:10:42 PM

I'm inclined to view that purely as a tactic to avoid a preliminary injunction. If they're seen to agree to one of the dates the brothers are willing to accept, the judge is less likely to put a freeze on any projects in the interim. Meanwhile, Disney gets another two years to assess their position and either attempt to negotiate, launch a legal offensive, or (least likely) just let the rights revert.

Interesting theory Necronoir! I guess we can't rule anything out!

Kailem

Dammit Voodoo just tell us everything's gonna be ok!! :'( :D

Kradan

Don't worry, everything is gonna be okay...

Spoiler
...as long as The Predator stays the last movie in the franchise
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Apr 25, 2021, 05:35:53 PM
Dammit Voodoo just tell us everything's gonna be ok!! :'( :D

But... but... you were supposed to tell me everything was going to be okay! :laugh:

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 25, 2021, 05:41:19 PM
Don't worry, everything is gonna be okay...

Spoiler
...as long as The Predator stays the last movie in the franchise
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed