Marvel's Alien (Volume 2) - Alien: Icarus

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 20, 2022, 08:50:29 AM

Author
Marvel's Alien (Volume 2) - Alien: Icarus (Read 39,360 times)

SiL

They also didn't have the option for a lot of the classic comics.

The first four series were done with traditional mediums. Genocide was watercolours.

As digital colouring became more prevalent in the industry you certainly do see it reflected in a lot of DH comics.

judge death

Cant agree on better art: still using necas big chap figure from how those xenos are drawn, joints still visible, their heads are exactly like necas big chaps in shape. Better posing of them however but good art? No.
Seen better.

SiL

They've at least put them into poses the toys aren't capable of, freeing themselves of the hilariously stiff posting of Laroca's.

BlueMarsalis79

The one in the foreground's not a trace, the background one though, it is... You can even see the dome's not on properly. *Sigh*

Kradan

I was thinking it looked, idk, weird ? Oh well, guess we're not quite there yet

judge death

Quote from: SiL on Sep 03, 2022, 10:31:44 AMThey also didn't have the option for a lot of the classic comics.

The first four series were done with traditional mediums. Genocide was watercolours.

As digital colouring became more prevalent in the industry you certainly do see it reflected in a lot of DH comics.
The art in those are cosmocly good, aliens book 2 and genocide was done with water color and by hand on paper, beats all Ive seen since then in aliens comics.

TilotnyWorshiper28

I don't know the art looks good to me but I read a lot of comics every week

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've split off the preview discussion and merged it with this announcement thread. I'd been planning to push conversation of Volume 3 to here, and now seemed like the right time. :)

With regard to the colours, yeah I'd noticed it looked like "Marvel" on the first page too, but honestly I really don't mind at this point. It's just so nice to see some actual artwork, and it's not like it entirely removes that Alien feel.

BlueMarsalis79

Much agreed.

Engineer

Quote from: judge death on Sep 03, 2022, 03:41:21 PM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 03, 2022, 10:31:44 AMThey also didn't have the option for a lot of the classic comics.

The art in those are cosmocly good, aliens book 2 and genocide was done with water color and by hand on paper, beats all Ive seen since then in aliens comics.

I don't think Den Beauvais used watercolors for book 2. Early on, watercolors were used a lot in airbrushing because the paints were thin and wouldn't clog things, and the airbrushes were easily cleaned with soapy water. There are fluid acrylic paints used in a lot of airbrushing now too, and I recall an interview with Den Beauvais that avpgalaxy did a while back where Den talks about using acrylic paints.

[cancerblack]

His work always looks to me like a mix of airbrush, watercolours and acrylics. There's definitely a lot of conventional brush work, especially for the stark black lines, even though the bulk is air. 

Prez

My original point though was about how like Marvels films where it's over the top lollypop colours - even with DB's beautiful colours in book 2 they were still `flatter' in tone. It could also be the stock Marvel uses too perhaps (gloss to semi-gloss?). Marvel's colouring is just too much for me personally. It's like throw the kitchen sink at it and it could be just personal taste (biased from working 30+ years within the digital and print design industry) too.

Either way it doesn't feel `Alien' to me - it feels too clean and superhero like. Alien is grit, grime and dirty.

SiL

You are the first person I've seen describe Marvel movies as over the top colourful. Most people complain they're flat and desaturated.

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Sep 05, 2022, 05:08:00 AMYou are the first person I've seen describe Marvel movies as over the top colourful. Most people complain they're flat and desaturated.

Really? Pretty much everyone I speak to describes them as every colour of the rainbow. Thor Ragnarok prime example.

Opinions eh  ;)

SiL

They got better at it, but a lot of the phase one and two movies are quite dull, low contrast and desaturated. All of the colours are muted, even reds and blues that aren't vibrant in the comics.

This breaks it down nicely:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed