Alien Desolation (Tristan Jones pitched/not happening comic/novels)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 20, 2022, 08:44:28 AM

Author
Alien Desolation (Tristan Jones pitched/not happening comic/novels) (Read 11,636 times)

Local Trouble

I'm guessing that they figured they brought enough redundancy with them.  If the first dropship was shot down or disabled, Bishop could remote-pilot the second dropship from the APC.

Not only did they lose the first dropship and the APC, they couldn't even use the colony transmitter from the relatively safe confines of the operations center.

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 05, 2023, 11:28:34 PMI'm guessing that they figured they brought enough redundancy with them.  If the first dropship was shot down or disabled, Bishop could remote-pilot the second dropship from the APC.

Not only did they lose the first dropship and the APC, they couldn't even use the colony transmitter from the relatively safe confines of the operations center.
It's also not like having the second squad would actually change the film that much. They'd get picked up slightly quicker and not have the final showdown with the Queen (or at least, it would be different). That's more or less it.

The second squad would hear about the hive, and that the first squad were evacuating. When they went quiet they'd probably start refuelling and head down to assist. Have the Aliens breach Operations in the time it takes them to realise, refuel, and go down and you've got the same movie without Bishop going to do it remote.

They probably wouldn't let Ripley go back into the hive though so RIP Newt.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Jan 05, 2023, 10:49:35 PMEDIT

Ripley's superhuman arm would be a better example of a lazy out. She can suddenly hold up a 14 foot Alien being dragged by the escaping atmosphere? Come on.

Makes sense!😅 haha

SiL

There are lots of those moments throughout the film (and the series). "The monster is whatever I want it to be whenever I want it to be" ala Prometheus though, that's a whole other level of ugh.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 05, 2023, 10:02:45 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 05, 2023, 09:33:55 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 05, 2023, 08:02:36 PMBecause the company does not even do the bare minimum when it comes to keeping the employee safe.

One might suggest that overconfidence and budget cuts are why the Sulaco didn't have any redundancy of personnel.

Even so, what harm would leaving any one of the faceless marines onboard do just in case of this exact scenario?

It is just f**king nonsense to get the ball rolling.

If I remember rightly, they did actually leave Bishop on the ship in the original treatment as he was attached to the ship rather than the marines.

TheBATMAN

Yeah he basically did what we see David do in Prometheus prior to the crew waking up.

Whiskeybrewer

I remember in the Colonial Marines comics, i think they left one or two members of the team on the main ship.

So something like that could have worked.

But yeah Tristan's idea and concept would have been something amazing. Maybe instead of having the Queen as a one off abberation, you make them super, super rare

Local Trouble

As I recall, there was no queen in Aliens Labyrinth either.

Immortan Jonesy

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 07, 2023, 08:38:39 PMAs I recall, there was no queen in Aliens Labyrinth either.
None that we see, but the story is told through very limited perspectives.

And for what it's worth in the "making Aliens insects is boring" department, what the Aliens do in that story is kind of just a f**ked upped version of ants farming aphids.

Over the years after learning more about insects I've started saying the problem wasn't "turning" Aliens into insects - it's not going far enough into the horrors that actually presents. Insects are f**ked up.

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: SiL on Jan 07, 2023, 10:49:40 PMOver the years after learning more about insects I've started saying the problem wasn't "turning" Aliens into insects - it's not going far enough into the horrors that actually presents. Insects are f**ked up.

Sure, but there's the implication that the aliens in Labyrinth are working differently anyway on a number of levels, which was something I'd bring up and bridge between Prometheus and the Alien director's cut. The horrors of what nature does to other things in it isn't remotely lost on me, but I'm just personally of the opinion that the creatures are scarier when they DO that horrific shit and you don't have a solid reason for it. The more you demystify the thing the more it just kinda becomes mundane. Personally, I think eggmorphing is a way more horrific thing than the "sting, coccoon, impregnate" cycle, but I've never had any intention of negating one or the other, simply presenting another way of looking at how those things fit together.

There are three very key things you see in Labyrinth that I think make the alien more interesting than almost anything else, which I'd planned on bringing back up sort of quietly. And even leaning into that, and the things from Prometheus or Covenant or Isolation or even the footnotes for Aliens and Alien 3 -- the key thing about the whole pitch was that all I needed anyone to have seen was Alien. The intention would be that someone completely cold to the expanded universes or whatever else could just pick it up, follow along, then MAYBE if they pick up Prometheus, Covenant, Isolation, Aliens, 3 or Resurrection, Labryinth, Salvation and f**k, even any of the Predator films, there would be things were you'd go "oh shit!" and HOPEFULLY make you think about them differently without affecting the narratives per se.

I'm not in the business of trying to please everyone, I know I never will. I just put forward what I found interesting and challenging, the guy at Fox at the time loved it, Dark Horse were on board, but as evidenced, it didn't happen. My biggest problem with so many franchise or legacy narratives these days is the insistence on everything being connected or referencing another text in a direct sense. Just find interesting stories and tell them.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 05, 2023, 10:49:35 PMRipley's superhuman arm would be a better example of a lazy out. She can suddenly hold up a 14 foot Alien being dragged by the escaping atmosphere? Come on.

Yeah, that bugs me every time. I feel like even half-Bishop would have been able to hold on to her, especially after they sort of set up him having somewhat above average abilities as a synth. But even that feels sort of trite.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 05, 2023, 10:49:35 PMAnd for what it's worth I didn't accuse Tristan of being lazy, that was directed elsewhere.

I never read it as that, so hopefully you don't think I did!! I appreciate you saying it though...

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 05, 2023, 03:08:01 PMThank you for taking the time to address some of our comments! 😁

So, ballpark figure, what's it gonna set us back to commission this as a complete story / unofficial fan comic? 😂😂😂😂

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't seriously considered it, but I work two jobs right now so time is not on my side at all (ask anyone wanting commissions...)!

Kradan

While I'm not too fond of @tyrannosaurusjones bashing Aliens I always enjoy hearing from people who are enthusiastic about all the crazy-ass lore prequels brought us. People like you, Clara of Yutani Blog and Patrick from PO ppodcast gave me an extra appreciation for Prometheus and Covenant

BlueMarsalis79

I think it is not exactly "bashing Aliens" more just criticising it, and then getting backlash, because how dare ye.

Kradan

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 08, 2023, 01:00:36 PMI think it is not exactly "bashing Aliens" more just criticising it, and then getting backlash, because how dare ye.

Fine, then I'm not too fond of people criticising Aliens, sorry

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jan 08, 2023, 11:22:35 AMI'd be lying if I said I hadn't seriously considered it, but I work two jobs right now so time is not on my side at all (ask anyone wanting commissions...)!

That wasn't a definite "no." I'll take it!! 😂

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed