In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 26,404 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Dec 05, 2019, 09:53:10 AMDorian may have painted Earthrise from orbit.

I recall thinking he was definitely on the surface, but you may be right.

The Old One

The Old One

#286
Gateway station Aliens style I guess.

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 05, 2019, 09:20:21 AM
After quickly checking my notes on the wiki page:

Spoiler
  • Dorian paints the Earth rise on the Moon, but the Moon's tidally locked so the Earth wouldn't "rise" relative to the horizon. (I guess it might just be stationary above the horizon, but the book specifically uses thew word Earthrise.)
  • The number of staff on the station is inconsistent. Early on there are 32, later there are only 22.
  • It says the sentry guns fire 10x24 mm. According to the Tech Manual they actually fire 10x28 mm, same as the Smartgun.
  • A bit like the staff, the number of Xenos in the kennels is inconsistent. Dick says there's 63; earlier Blue said she has indeed used up 63 eggs, but adds most of the specimens were destroyed or lost before reaching adulthood.
  • It refers to the Colonial Marines as USMC, it should be USCM.
  • When Blue finds Charles cocooned in the Hive, he knows about Dorian setting the Xenos on the survivors, but he wasn't there when this happened.
  • Dorian gets captured on one side of the station and wakes up on the other, meaning he somehow crossed the decompressed section without a helmet on his space suit. He can't have been taken through the vents because earlier on it's stated a person in a suit wouldn't fit. (Although I guess its possible he was Facehugged immediately, and that's what kept him alive on the journey. He'd still get some serious frostbite though.)

There's also the fact the kennels are painted entirely green specifically so the Xenos will show up clearly should they escape - but when they do get loose the area's flooded with red alert lights, turning the walls brown and completely ruining the effect.

(Disclaimer: The only reason I've picked up on so many slip-ups is because a) I'm a f*cking nerd, and b) I've read the book three times already :P)
[close]

How was this allowed?

Stitch

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 06, 2019, 02:43:07 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 05, 2019, 09:20:21 AM
After quickly checking my notes on the wiki page:

Spoiler
  • Dorian paints the Earth rise on the Moon, but the Moon's tidally locked so the Earth wouldn't "rise" relative to the horizon. (I guess it might just be stationary above the horizon, but the book specifically uses thew word Earthrise.)
  • The number of staff on the station is inconsistent. Early on there are 32, later there are only 22.
  • It says the sentry guns fire 10x24 mm. According to the Tech Manual they actually fire 10x28 mm, same as the Smartgun.
  • A bit like the staff, the number of Xenos in the kennels is inconsistent. Dick says there's 63; earlier Blue said she has indeed used up 63 eggs, but adds most of the specimens were destroyed or lost before reaching adulthood.
  • It refers to the Colonial Marines as USMC, it should be USCM.
  • When Blue finds Charles cocooned in the Hive, he knows about Dorian setting the Xenos on the survivors, but he wasn't there when this happened.
  • Dorian gets captured on one side of the station and wakes up on the other, meaning he somehow crossed the decompressed section without a helmet on his space suit. He can't have been taken through the vents because earlier on it's stated a person in a suit wouldn't fit. (Although I guess its possible he was Facehugged immediately, and that's what kept him alive on the journey. He'd still get some serious frostbite though.)

There's also the fact the kennels are painted entirely green specifically so the Xenos will show up clearly should they escape - but when they do get loose the area's flooded with red alert lights, turning the walls brown and completely ruining the effect.

(Disclaimer: The only reason I've picked up on so many slip-ups is because a) I'm a f*cking nerd, and b) I've read the book three times already :P)
[close]

How was this allowed?
How many people would actually pick up on this? Proofreaders probably didn't. I know I didn't.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I don't think I noticed any of those on my first read-through. It was only when I went back to it that I started twigging the mistakes.

But as Fiendishly says, everything has goofs. Doesn't stop The Cold Forge being a superb read.

razeak

My life is ruined over these revelations lol. Oh well. Its still a good read.

FenGiddel

We watched the Special Edition yesterday and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

The Old One

The Old One

#292
Glad to hear it.

Local Trouble

Quote from: FenGiddel on Dec 08, 2019, 08:59:35 PM
We watched the Special Edition yesterday and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Was it better than the theatrical cut?

The Old One

The Old One

#294
In nearly every way, I don't think it's a coincidence that everyone I talk to on the internet, that likes it has reappraised it because of the SE.

FenGiddel

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 08, 2019, 09:16:02 PM
Quote from: FenGiddel on Dec 08, 2019, 08:59:35 PM
We watched the Special Edition yesterday and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Was it better than the theatrical cut?
I couldn't say; it has been a great while since I last watched the TC.

HuDaFuK

I definitely prefer the extended version, but I also get why people who don't love the film to start with find it far too long and slow.

FenGiddel

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 09, 2019, 09:41:58 AM
I definitely prefer the extended version, but I also get why people who don't love the film to start with find it far too long and slow.
Right. I enjoyed the pacing and the characters' moments. That may have been because I've seen A3 so many times that my subconscious fills in anything missing, but I don't know. It was a pleasant surprise. The whole "a bunch of lifers who found God at the ass-end of space", especially. When there's an alien on the loose, platitudes go out the door and one must quickly put one's money where one's mouth is... ;)

Local Trouble

Doesn't the egg bother you?

FenGiddel

Nope. Neither does Luke Skywalker's "facelift" in ESB. Some things just "is"...

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed