In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 33,887 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Oh I get how that feels like.

Huggs

One could also look at it this way

Spoiler
Alien: = Don Vito

Aliens: = Sonny

Alien 3: TC = Tom Hagen

Alien 3: AC = Michael

Alien: Resurrection = Johnny Fontane

Prometheus: = Tessio

Alien Covenant: = Fredo
[close]

or

Spoiler
Of Aliens and Directors

"Tell me about the bunnies Ridley"
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 04, 2019, 03:42:27 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 04, 2019, 02:19:24 PM

Diet Water??? What the hell is Diet Water??? Half the sugar of regular water?

:laugh:

They took something that was already good for you, and drained all the goodness out of it.

It's neither here nor there. It looks legit, but it's just a bottle full of lies and empty promises.

Prometheus

AKA:

Spoiler
[close]

Huh...

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 04, 2019, 03:42:27 PM

They took something that was already good for you, and drained all the goodness out of it.

It's neither here nor there. It looks legit, but it's just a bottle full of lies and empty promises.

Prometheus

AKA:

Spoiler
[close]

Best review ever!

razeak

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 04, 2019, 02:21:52 AM
Alien = Coca Cola

Aliens = Pepsi

Alien 3: TC = Diet Coke

Alien 3: AC = Sprite

Alien: Resurrection = Orange Faygo

Prometheus = Diet Water

Alien: Covenant = Urine Sample

Insert Roddy Piper They Live Glasses meme

The Old One

The Old One

Alien Covenant > Half of the franchise, not including Alien, Aliens or Alien³ though of course.

PsyKore

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 06, 2019, 12:54:05 PM
Alien Covenant > Half of the franchise, not including Alien, Aliens or Alien³ though of course.

True. Although, I personally like Covenant probably better than Alien 3, or at least on par with it. I feel both movies are actually quite similar in certain ways, and both films were pretty bold in the direction they took. I consider both to be flawed masterpieces. Covenant has also given me more to think about and chew on since longer than I can remember in this spiralling franchise.

SM

Yeah I think I'd put Covenant ahead of Alien 3 too.

Neither are masterpieces, flawed or otherwise.

Kimarhi

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 08, 2019, 06:56:43 AM

True. Although, I personally like Covenant probably better than Alien 3, or at least on par with it. I feel both movies are actually quite similar in certain ways, and both films were pretty bold in the direction they took. I consider both to be flawed masterpieces. Covenant has also given me more to think about and chew on since longer than I can remember in this spiralling franchise.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the phrase "flawed masterpieces" when referring to film. Most every film, masterpieces or not, have flaws. Especially FX films. At that rate Alien 1979 can be called a flawed masterpiece with a few of its man-in-a-rubber-suit issues, Ash head issues, continuity mistakes, etc... but Alien is just called a masterpiece and I think rightly so.

To me the need to include the word flawed with the word masterpiece, just so one doesn't mistake another as classifying an inferior film on a masterpiece level, means the movie is just not a masterpiece at all.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 08, 2019, 06:50:01 PM
Nutters.

Both prequels are decent (but not great) films, regardless of how much you as a fan approve of the direction they go in. A3 is so butchered that how great it possibly could have been isn't important. I give all these movies the same rating of around 6.5 to 7 out of 10 - they all have major issues but are still a good time - and I could well be being pretty generous towards A3 there.

Local Trouble

Nutters.

Where can I read your unfiltered opinion of the prequels?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 08, 2019, 10:02:19 PM
Nutters.

Where can I read your unfiltered opinion of the prequels?

I found it:

Quote from: Kimarhi
Spoiler
People who like the prequels are Nutters.
[close]

Kradan

Very, very true.

PsyKore

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 08, 2019, 07:44:03 PM

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the phrase "flawed masterpieces" when referring to film. Most every film, masterpieces or not, have flaws. Especially FX films. At that rate Alien 1979 can be called a flawed masterpiece with a few of its man-in-a-rubber-suit issues, Ash head issues, continuity mistakes, etc... but Alien is just called a masterpiece and I think rightly so.

To me the need to include the word flawed with the word masterpiece, just so one doesn't mistake another as classifying an inferior film on a masterpiece level, means the movie is just not a masterpiece at all.

It's only my personal opinion. I'm not using "masterpiece" in the most literal definition; I'm only using it to express how highly I consider these films within this series. And when I say flawed, it's obviously because there's things that could be better.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed