Is Alien 3 Special Edition as much of a classic as Alien and Aliens?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 10, 2017, 01:51:49 AM

Is the Special Edition version of Alien 3 worthy of being in the same vein as Alien and Aliens?

Yes
No
Author
Is Alien 3 Special Edition as much of a classic as Alien and Aliens? (Read 28,668 times)

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Jun 13, 2017, 12:47:13 AM
One that has Call saying "Since you were born without bawls!"

LOL  :laugh:

Predaker

Alien 3 is a good film but it will never be on the level of the first two. Their impact on other films and entertainment media, and pop culture in general, is immeasurable. No other film in this franchise has accomplished what the first two did. Only Alien and Aliens are true classics.

Kel G 426

Assembly cut isn't better, just longer. It messes up pacing by inserting musical scores earlier than intended.

SM

It messes up pacing by having redundant scenes that repeat the same points over and over.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2017, 02:31:36 AM
It messes up pacing by having redundant scenes that repeat the same points over and over.

Its a slow, almost drama-like movie, so I dont think it messes up the pacing which is very slow and stretched out anyway

SM

The theatrical is the right amount to slow.  Having a scene where Ripley twigs that the Company wants the Alien from Bishop, then discusses the Company wanting it with Aaron, then we get the Permission Denied computer scene where we find out the Company want it, then Ripley talks to Dillon about how the Company want it, then Ripley argues with Aaron about the computer code because the Company wants it but Aaron doesn't believe her (despite having ample evidence), then Ripley has to explain to the prisoners that the Company want it, then Bishop II lies to Ripley about how the Company don't want it except they really do.

Amongst all this repetition is a bizarre scene where the prisoners swear at each in the Assembly Area then decide they'll go and swear at each other in the furnace instead.

Except Dillon who goes back to his cell on his own.

Scorpio

I happen to like those scenes.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

My vote of "no" had less to do with its "worthiness" and more to do with the manner in which it came to be.  Even when it comes to Alien and Aliens, I prefer the theatrical cuts, but enjoy the other versions too.  I like the visual style of Trey, and the alien creature.  Did it explore new ground for me?  Not so much.  But it has some great set-pieces!   :)

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2017, 04:04:00 AM
Amongst all this repetition is a bizarre scene where the prisoners swear at each in the Assembly Area then decide they'll go and swear at each other in the furnace instead.

;D

SM

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 14, 2017, 02:22:04 PM
I happen to like those scenes.

Which is fine if you don't mind being told the same thing over and over.

Local Trouble

Anyone who frequents this forum likes to be told the same thing over and over.

SM

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2017, 04:04:00 AM
The theatrical is the right amount to slow.  Having a scene where Ripley twigs that the Company wants the Alien from Bishop, then discusses the Company wanting it with Aaron, then we get the Permission Denied computer scene where we find out the Company want it, then Ripley talks to Dillon about how the Company want it, then Ripley argues with Aaron about the computer code because the Company wants it but Aaron doesn't believe her (despite having ample evidence), then Ripley has to explain to the prisoners that the Company want it, then Bishop II lies to Ripley about how the Company don't want it except they really do.

True, the scenes are not "needed" and the movie works without them, but its a nice expanded canvas showing more of those characters and their interactions, possibly helping the viewer immerse themselves more

SM

I like getting any extra look at the environment. From a story telling perspective though this sort of repetition is a waste of time.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 11, 2014, 12:03:29 AM
SM's doing the Lord's work in this thread.  No one will ever successfully argue that Alien 3 AC was a better film on his watch.  :D

SM

Here endeth the lesson.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed