Is Alien 3 Special Edition as much of a classic as Alien and Aliens?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 10, 2017, 01:51:49 AM

Is the Special Edition version of Alien 3 worthy of being in the same vein as Alien and Aliens?

Yes
No
Author
Is Alien 3 Special Edition as much of a classic as Alien and Aliens? (Read 28,723 times)

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

the assembly cut (now officially called the "Special Edition" by Fox) really made me LIKE the film! with all the extra scenes added back in, the extra content REALLY stitched the film back together into a dark, emotional and justifiable piece... where as the original theatrical version (which I watched a million times growing up) felt short, incomplete and a bit like an insult to Ripleys character where as the "Special Edition" feels like a complete, detailed, emotional and justifiable end to dear ol' Ellen.

not to say i was happy with Fox's decision to kill Ripley off as we all loved her as a character, but... the "Special Edition" REALLY puts the film back together and makes it a much more enjoyable watch.

Local Trouble

Did it flesh out the prisoners and fix the pacing issues?

SM

Scorpio

Yes!

Of course it did.  Especially Golic.  GREAT character, utterly ruined in the theatrical cut.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 12, 2017, 11:33:18 PM
Yes!

Of course it did.  Especially Golic.  GREAT character, utterly ruined in the theatrical cut.

Thank You! I quite agree. Golic was such an essential part to Alien 3 and the Special Edition helps give his character closure with Him releasing the Alien after the prisoners capture it which was utterly fantastic as a plot element!!

SM

He's in, what, three scenes in the theatrical?  He's just as much of a non-entity as every other bald Pom.

Scorpio

That would be like cutting Renfield out of Dracula as he's a non-entity, totally non-essential to the plot.

Rankles75

There are no great characters in Alien 3, merely one or two ok ones...

SM

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 13, 2017, 12:00:07 AM
That would be like cutting Renfield out of Dracula as he's a non-entity, totally non-essential to the plot.

If you say so.  I'm not familiar enough with Dracula to comment.

StrangeShape

My perfect version would be a mix of two. I would definitely want the montage on the report of the crash from theatrical, and would lean toward the dog. Also Ripley giving birth from the theatrical, the rest I prefer from the Assembly C.

Local Trouble

What's your perfect version of Alien Resurrection?

SM

One that has Call saying "Since you were born without bawls!"

StrangeShape

Scorpio

The "Special Edition Version" (using Jean Pierre's french accent) is the best version of Alien Resurrection.  Truer to his original vision, despite what he claims.

PsyKore

I think the theatrical is far better.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed