Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 237,570 times)

Morpheus

Morpheus

Quote from: SM on Jan 06, 2014, 10:00:59 PM
QuoteSo the human characters that fans "loved" did not truly win. Instead it establishes that the aliens are in fact unbeatable.

Except that Ripley beat them and did in fact win - not only against the Alien, but the Company as well.

Ripley had to sacrifice herself to beat them, and that's one of the many reasons i love Alien 3.

It's just like @sting3r said, this series is not about happy endings and none of this bullshit. The Alien series is about the ALIENS. A demoniac parasite xenomorph acid for blood creature that spread through the universe and destroy all the others life forms that it encounters. A perfect and ferocious organism that always learn a way to survive and adapt.
Doesn't matter who comes across it. Astronauts, Marines, Killers, Mercenaries, Scientists, they will never destroy nor control it. Dont matter what they do, they will die.

And we see these creatures through the eyes of a woman who has to keeping fighting  to survive after finding these monsters, and how her life becomes hell after this.

That is why this trilogy (yeah, TRILOGY) is awesome, its about this unstoppable terrifying creature that destroys everything, and when this woman finds a way to survive it, the creatures destroy what she care's most, her family. Even when she think's that is all fine and that she can live in peace and happy with a new family, the ALIEN crushes it. At the end she stop struggling and sacrifices herself to destroy the creature and save mankind, and that is the most close to a happy ending that we are all get.

They are supposed to be a dark, thrilling, science fiction horror movies, and they are great in it.

I don't count Alien Resurection that much because is not even Ripley and it is f**king dumb..

SM

SM

Wow.

Deep.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Quote from: SM on Jan 07, 2014, 03:50:04 AM
Wow.

Deep.

haha
Thank's M8 

Its just that i love this films so much =/
I wish they would make a James Bond style in this franchise. Starting with a new series focusing in a new protagonist and characters, maybe some years after the events in Alien 3, with some new Alien forms, new planets, expanding the universe and stuuff like that.
And never stopping, always continuing to create new sequels, with new characters, directors, producers, concepts ,stories and etc.

yeah, i know its crazy as f**k, but it would be so awesome, even if one movie would suck hard, we would still get a new one who could be great.
I just would love see more of the Xenomorph..

I just cant get into this Prometheus thing, not to mention that Ridley said that the sequel will be less Alien-like, so...f**k!

monkeylove

monkeylove

The first focused on horror and the second action. Logically, the third would have had to employ something different from the two. Such a story line would have involved the corporation preparing to use the creature for bio-weapons and the protagonists and allies trying to stop it. Some proposed scripts for the third movie involved these aspects.

sting3r

sting3r

Aliens modified the alien to an insectoid form of life (with cocoons, hives, drones, queens etc.) (Edit to add : It is a good concept )and it pretty much set the template for films and games to come. BUT Alien 3 bravely went against this template. They could have easily featured marines, guns and big explosions (like Alien:R) .... but instead they went a step backward, made the alien faster/more lethal and took the movie in a whole new direction.

As sad as it may sound.... Hicks, Newt, Ripley and all but one of the prisoners had to die.... because Alien 3 perfectly concluded the Alien series. Ripley dies and prevented WY from getting their hands on an alien for research. Also, Aliens saw the destruction of the hive on LV-426....and Alien 3 showed the last known alien destroyed. It was the perfect ending as there were no more aliens left for humans to encounter (in the space that they knew. )

So Alien : Resurrection was uncalled for because it undid everything that Ripley fought for in the 3 alien movies. The "newborn" design was stupid and its torturous death scene was the only good thing about Alien : Resurrection.

SiL

SiL

Aliens extrapolated the insect connection and took it further, it didn't pull it out of thin air. The Alien was always inspired by insects.

sting3r

sting3r

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2014, 09:57:19 AM
Aliens extrapolated the insect connection and took it further, it didn't pull it out of thin air. The Alien was always inspired by insects.

Don't get me wrong. I love the insect treatment shown in Aliens... and it fits perfectly with the alien theme.
But my point was that Alien 3 was brave enough to move away from the insect/hive/queen theme that was rehashed in many of the later Alien fictions*. Instead, it used an alien that was genetically altered by its quadrapedal host. (dog/bull)

* : Added later

SiL

SiL

Which was from Alien, incidentally.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: sting3r on Jan 08, 2014, 10:07:33 AM
But my point was that Alien 3 was brave enough to move away from the insect/hive/queen theme that was rehashed in many of the later Alien fictions*. Instead, it used an alien that was genetically altered by its quadrapedal host. (dog/bull)
Alien 3 was the first to demonstrate that the Alien will take different forms depending on its host, but it was an old idea. Scott mentioned it way back in '79, and it was mentioned a few other times throughout the 80's.

Do remember that a Queen was present in Alien 3 (the key danger to the universe theme, and Ripley's sacrifice, all hinge on its inclusion) and that cocoon scenes were written for the film and, I believe, even storyboarded. They weren't included due to budget and time, not because Fincher et al didn't want them.

Eva

Eva

While I get the everlasting fascination with the title creatures, brought to life through Giger's wicked imagination, the first three films have always been about Ripley to me. In Act I she barely escapes her 1st encounter. Act II revolves around her facing her demons head-on and taking charge over her own life again. Act III deals with the logical conclusion of Ripley's dance of death with her 'companion', her realization that by now, their fates are intertwined with each other. And so they both die in an 'embrace' at the end.

Don't even mention Alien Resurrection to me... :D

PS: I'm not sure anymore that people really 'hate' Alien 3...

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: sting3r on Jan 08, 2014, 10:07:33 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2014, 09:57:19 AM

Don't get me wrong. I love the insect treatment shown in Aliens... and it fits perfectly with the alien theme.

* : Added later

as Sil said, it was ALien that introduced insect influences, and Scott referred to his alien as insect or ant-like numerous times, and ironically, Alien 3 was the one who went couple steps deeper into the whole insect thing, to the point Fincher refered to it as big and stated that he wanted to make clear that the runner is a big dumb (in his words) bug from space

related reads:
http://www.jamescamerononline.com/BiomechanicalInsect.htm
http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/the-insect-influence/

SM

SM

QuoteDon't even mention Alien Resurrection to me...

The Return

Morpheus

Morpheus

Quote from: sting3r on Jan 08, 2014, 09:54:25 AM
Aliens modified the alien to an insectoid form of life (with cocoons, hives, drones, queens etc.) (Edit to add : It is a good concept )and it pretty much set the template for films and games to come. BUT Alien 3 bravely went against this template. They could have easily featured marines, guns and big explosions (like Alien:R) .... but instead they went a step backward, made the alien faster/more lethal and took the movie in a whole new direction.

As sad as it may sound.... Hicks, Newt, Ripley and all but one of the prisoners had to die.... because Alien 3 perfectly concluded the Alien series. Ripley dies and prevented WY from getting their hands on an alien for research. Also, Aliens saw the destruction of the hive on LV-426....and Alien 3 showed the last known alien destroyed. It was the perfect ending as there were no more aliens left for humans to encounter (in the space that they knew. )

So Alien : Resurrection was uncalled for because it undid everything that Ripley fought for in the 3 alien movies. The "newborn" design was stupid and its torturous death scene was the only good thing about Alien : Resurrection.

I have to disagree with you. Alien 3 should be the ending of the Ripley story not the Alien, IMO. The creature it self is just too much fascinating and awesome. There's just so much of the Xenomorphs that could be explored and expanded, and specially the universe (the technology, colonies, society and etc)

Not to mention that we could never see what the company would do with the Aliens. What experiments would they do, what "weapons", and what would be the consequences
(and no, the guys from Alien Ressurection doesnt count, don't be stupidy).

SM

SM

It's not stupidy - the USM did similar stuff to what the Company would've done.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Alien³ on Oct 30, 2011, 10:40:03 PM
I love the Assembly Cut and hate the Theatrical cut. So BOOM!

Times have changed. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed