Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 237,462 times)

Basher917

Basher917

Now I want to know why some people rank this movie as low as ressurection, or even think it's worst than AVP. People seem to compare this film to Aliens thinking it should be just like Aliens, and nothing like the original film witch the entire series started off on. This also brings me to the fact some people actually belive Aliens should be the first film witch beyond infuriates me to no bounds.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Principal reason I've seen during my boards experience would be one, and everyone certainly is aware of it: Alien3 killed off Hicks and Newt at the start of the film. To that, you can add the plot-hole firing opening titles and the fact Ripley dies at the end. Some fans, in addition, don't like the Runner design, and its (intentionally dumb) behaviour.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

It's also hard to identify with many of the characters -- they're all bald, indistinguishable British guys who happen to be murders and rapists and whatnot. You don't really care if they live or die, as opposed to the first two movies where the characters were likeable and had some degree of personality distinguishing them.

And as you said, a lot of people wanted another action-fest like 'Aliens' - it didn't help that the initial teaser trailer for 'Alien3' promised a movie set on Earth, and then the actual film didn't deliver. :P

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Basher917 on Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM
People seem to compare this film to Aliens thinking it should be just like Aliens, and nothing like the original film witch the entire series started off on.
It didn't have to be like Aliens. It just had to be good. It wasn't. It was a clusterf**k of plot holes and silly character choices. It's not scary like Alien, and it doesn't thrill like Aliens. Even viewed on its own, it's terribly hard to appreciate beyond its aesthetics (those sets look good! Music is awesome!)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I actually like Alien3 quite a bit, I think it was plenty "good".

Valaquen

Valaquen

Uh huh. Quite a few people like it. A lot don't tend to, hence OP's frustration.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

I tend not to worry about whether other people like someone, unless they're telling me I shouldn't like it, or that the fact I like it is invalidated because the matter in question is "obviously crap" or some such euphemism. Then I get pissy.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Well, I personally have no hatred to A^3 any more, because - and this may sound harsh - I re-discovered it to myself as a ... some sort of comedy. I incline to follow Morse, as it goes, and his lines and behavior make me normaly smile ("We have a teeny-weeny problem", scene with scissors, "How did I get there?", prominent "F*ck" after warden is dragged up into ceilling with the puddle of blood on the floor...)

I suspect, the main reason about putting Alien^3 so far aside from first two films isn't the protagonists' demise at all.

In my opinion, "cubed" sequel extremely differs from the set in Alien/Aliens aura by its blatancy (mostly over the religious-like ranting and Ripley's Christ-like and Antichrist symbolism - two within one!) and tautology (there is a lot of repetitive lines and actions). Just compare this to subtle sexual Alien's (Alien as Creature here, not the film's name) undertones, entertaining plot turns and characters, you want to associate yourself with (they are ordinary people, with their jokes and worries, just want to live their lives and at least have one - common for both films - goal, namely to get home!)

PsyKore

PsyKore

Despite some good aspects in this movie, it is ultimately very shallow. I agree with Valaquen; it's mainly the film's aesthetics that are its redeeming quality. However, I don't think Alien 3 is as hated as it was back in the day, a lot of fans look pretty deeply and excuse this film's flaws.

Basher917

Basher917

Quotekilled off Hicks and Newt at the start of the film.
Now you have to give the movie a break there, the new charecters need more screen time so they could develop themselfs and not just be random
Quotemurders and rapists and whatnot
see if, lets say if Dallas, Bret, Lambert, or Parker had survived the first film

now I'm not an expert but i know we would care more about one of these charecters and Ripley more than Newt, Hicks, Hudson, Bishop,Vasquez, or Gorman

You only care about these charecters because you've grown to know and love them as charecters, and without that, they'd be nothing
bet you don't remember Lydecker and his personality, do you? ( don't bullshit me with some "oh i remember him!")

Quotethe fact Ripley dies at the end
The Only reason i've seen people hating this is Because of ressurection ( witch unfortunetly bullshited it's way into production)
this scene adds depth to the charecter of ripley, instead of going with the human Bishop she sacrifices herself to keep the Alien queen out of the company's hands, and by doing this she saved the galaxy, it's sad but at the same time
heart-warming, you see the triumph over the xenomorphs and more importantly the company, the people who started the nightmare in the firs place

chupacabras acheronsis

because it's not very interesting. it's a nice movie with beautiful visuals and the best score of all movies, but its more of the same. they had the balls to kill off two main characters but not to do much else of what the original draft ambitioned.

...and i might be the only one that kinda likes the murder/rapist bald guys. they're funny.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Basher917 on Oct 30, 2011, 09:44:28 PM
...You only care about these charecters because you've grown to know and love them as charecters, and without that, they'd be nothing
bet you don't remember Lydecker and his personality, do you? ( don't bullshit me with some "oh i remember him!")

Thus, I presume, you have answered your title question on your own: Alien/Aliens are so "people's" movies, opposed to Alien^3, which is obviously not and looks like a slasher story shoved into the Alien universe's frames.

I really do not want to aggravate you, but I do remember who's Lydecker, I memorized him by name, when the second, fat guy called him and pointed out at the kids, rollicking down in the corridor. Though, I can't say anything about his personality, as he was on-screen merely a couple of minutes or somewhat (director's cut).

And in my opinion, Ripley's death doesn't impart a lot of depth there. It's weirdly, but she feels like already being dead (figuratively) from the very beginning. On Morse's cry-out to thrust her head through the wall, she just whispers: "It sounds good to me". Touche!

Nice pictures! Love this scene from Alien, so real one!

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Oct 30, 2011, 10:05:33 PM
...and i might be the only one that kinda likes the murder/rapist bald guys. they're funny.

I personally root for Morse here :-)

Alien³

Alien³

I love the Assembly Cut but hate the Theatrical cut. So BOOM!

Captain Idiot

Captain Idiot

Alien 3 kicks ass! I dont understand why people hate it. Yes, Hicks and Newt died but at least they had an
awesome funeral. I want to be buried like that

predxeno

predxeno

Many of the producers have said in interviews that Alien 3 initially got such bad reviews because after Aliens, audiences were expecting a much different kind of movie; probably more like Aliens and less of a regression to the original Alien style.  A lot of the characters were also very hard to identify being as they were practically all bald.  The reason I'm not fond of this film is because it killed off all the characters from the 2nd film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed