Best non-alien pictures

Started by Bad Replicant, Apr 02, 2011, 06:14:54 PM

Author
Best non-alien pictures (Read 410,440 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I want to see it also. And imagining a gorier cut of Alien 3 makes me crazy. The thing's already extremely brutal.

SiL

SiL

It usually just means "the same, but longer".

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Oct 01, 2022, 07:47:45 PMI have a feeling that what was considered too explicit for 1979 might end up looking real disappointing after 43 years of hype :laugh:

Still want to see it though.
Agreed.

When I finally got to see the 'legendary' Cocoon scene for the first time, in 1999 (I missed out on the deluxe 1992 Special Wide Screen Collector's Edition laserdisc release), I was disappointed - but also very happy to finally see additional footage from my favourite film.

Back then, for me, the ALIEN deleted scenes were just as impossible to see as the original STAR WARS trilogy deleted scenes (also disappointing for the most part).

SiL

SiL

I really liked the cocoon scene. And the crab crawl. I was a bit disappointed some of the other scenes were only presented in their master shots, like the crew talking about what to do after Kane dies, or that we only see Kane when the crew wakes up.

Seeing the snippets of extra Alien footage is always a treat though.

Kradan

Kradan

Cocoon scene is great ! Just a thought of your body slowly being turned into an Alien egg sends shivers down my spine. I'd love to see that concept to be brought back to the big screen

I would like to know why did you find it disappointing @Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 02, 2022, 11:19:49 AMI would like to know why did you find it disappointing @Elmazalman

I preferred the hanging semi-transparent cocoon which enveloped Dallas, as described in the novelisation, rather than what appeared on screen: Dallas's lower half encased in what looks like 'metallic bird sh*t'.

Giger, was right. Aesthetically, the scene doesn't fit with the look of the rest of the film.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 02, 2022, 11:09:44 AMI really liked the cocoon scene. And the crab crawl. I was a bit disappointed some of the other scenes were only presented in their master shots, like the crew talking about what to do after Kane dies, or that we only see Kane when the crew wakes up.

Seeing the snippets of extra Alien footage is always a treat though.

I like the scene between Ripley and Lambert (sleep with Ash?). I was very happy the originally released master shot was replaced with the newly edited and remastered scene from the 2003 Quadrilogy set.

Also liked the crab-walk - but only the frontal shot of it crawling to Lambert. The side views aren't very impressive. It was great to finally see these production stills in motion:

Spoiler

[close]

TC

TC

I liked the cocoon scene too, but as shot, I think I can see why they left it out of the original cut. The lighting was less than successful, and probably the sculpted design too, in that you can't really tell what you're looking at unless you have time to really examine the frame. Especially the Brett-egg. I don't think it was painted in metallic colours, it's just the glaring highlights from a gloss surface that makes it look that way. Probably Derek Vanlint, the DP, would have liked more time to light it better.

As far as the crab walk goes, it's great that Scott was experimenting with different ways to hide the man-in-a-rubber-suit effect, but just like the test of Bolaji Badejo creeping through the unfinished Nostromo set (that I know everyone's seen so I won't bother linking from YouTube), you can instantly tell there's a human actor inside the costume from all the little nuances of weight-shifting that Badejo does. We're all so familiar with how the human body moves it's pretty hard to fool the human observer.

Same with the out-take of the alien throwing Parker against the wall then stepping in to finish him off. It's subtle, but instantly recognisable from Bodaji's movements that he was completely blind when he had to step forward, as he kind of shuffled one foot forward to feel out with his toe where Yaphet was lying in case he tripped over him.

So, interesting out-takes, but they were wise to edit them out.

TC

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: TC on Oct 02, 2022, 02:03:36 PMI liked the cocoon scene too, but as shot, I think I can see why they left it out of the original cut. The lighting was less than successful, and probably the sculpted design too, in that you can't really tell what you're looking at unless you have time to really examine the frame. Especially the Brett-egg. I don't think it was painted in metallic colours, it's just the glaring highlights from a gloss surface that makes it look that way. Probably Derek Vanlint, the DP, would have liked more time to light it better.

As far as the crab walk goes, it's great that Scott was experimenting with different ways to hide the man-in-a-rubber-suit effect, but just like the test of Bolaji Badejo creeping through the unfinished Nostromo set (that I know everyone's seen so I won't bother linking from YouTube), you can instantly tell there's a human actor inside the costume from all the little nuances of weight-shifting that Badejo does. We're all so familiar with how the human body moves it's pretty hard to fool the human observer.

Same with the out-take of the alien throwing Parker against the wall then stepping in to finish him off. It's subtle, but instantly recognisable from Bodaji's movements that he was completely blind when he had to step forward, as he kind of shuffled one foot forward to feel out with his toe where Yaphet was lying in case he tripped over him.

So, interesting out-takes, but they were wise to edit them out.

TC

There's outtake footage of the original design for the cocoon nest in the 3 hrs doco. This time, Dallas looks like he's glued to the wall by a soft white buttery material. It doesn't look good.

I like the goofy tail-slap-into-the-wall outttake, but yes, the Alien does seem blind (not in a good way). The shot of it rushing up to and taking Parker by the back of the neck, as used in the final film, is much better.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I always liked the original version more, but I get the appeal of the deleted cocoon scene.

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

James Cameron posing with a miniature Aliens egg.

I thought these were taken at the Don Shay interview, featured on the Laserdisc extras, but it turns out they were not.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Oct 09, 2022, 05:09:59 PMJames Cameron posing with a miniature Aliens egg.

I thought these were taken at the Don Shay interview, featured on the Laserdisc extras, but it turns out they were not.

Goddang, this is COOL

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Images from The American Cinematographer webpage.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Oct 10, 2022, 06:09:33 PMImages from The American Cinematographer webpage.

Great find! The bridge and vehicle bay sets look amazing. Incredible craftmanship.

"A veritable, technological fairyland."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed