In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 33,936 times)

The Old One

The Old One

AVP and especially Requiem ensured the AVP concept cinematically stayed dead for over ten years now. For the first three Alien films, roughly six years between each of them. And then Resurrection, in 1997 and then Covenant in 2017, twenty years apart! Granted Prometheus exists but it's got no Alien in it. So I'd say Resurrection critically and financially put the series in a coma for twenty years.

Kradan

The Old One

The Old One

Because there's roughly six years between Prometheus and Covenant, I can only hope that formula's returned.

Voodoo Magic

Alien will definitely return, I just think sans David.

The Old One

The Old One

I agree, after, Ridley Scott's done one last Alien film.

Voodoo Magic

Gladiator 2. Agreed.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Dec 29, 2019, 04:40:30 PM
AVP and especially Requiem ensured the AVP concept cinematically stayed dead for over ten years now. For the first three Alien films, roughly six years between each of them. And then Resurrection, in 1997 and then Covenant in 2017, twenty years apart! Granted Prometheus exists but it's got no Alien in it. So I'd say Resurrection critically and financially put the series in a coma for twenty years.

There was still a large interest in Alien mythology after Avp movies. Prometheus gathered quite an attention. But after Prometheus it doed down and Covenant killed general populations interest for good imo. I also thought it was an awful, tv episode looking movie, and also depleted my interest for quite a long time untill recently

Kimarhi

I didn't like the characters wandering off to get killed in Covenant, but liked it much better than Prometheus, which felt like completely arbitrary, sideshow expositional garbage that somehow asked more questions than it answered. 

The Old One

The Old One

And "large interest" ahaha? No, I lived through it, a drought to be sure. in terms of quality content, Covenant's existence has generated more in twoish years than AVP 2004 did in sixteen, or Prometheus did in eight. The fact Prometheus is abysmal, especially in comparison to it's marketing material, meant no one trusted Covenant enough to see it. For my time, Covenant is the far superior film, an unique take on a remake and sequel to the first science fiction story.

judge death

Didnt found any issues with the crew on covenant doing much wandering to get killed, they were afterall colonists, there to travel to a new planet and start building a village and colonialise a planet, not researchers or scientists but average colonists traveling to new home with some armed guards with them for safety, not trained soldiers. So that they do tactical blunders and behave like people with wandering off to be alone and such I have no issues with and their lack of understanding quarantines and for rules, the average person wont either.

Way bigger problems with prometheus in which they are all scientists and the best in their field but behaves like the average joe and no science done at all and doing stupid mistakes and their hired guards wasnt good either plus the movie was boring like hell with not much happening and almost nothing that was dangerous but the humans themself managed to do stupid shit and get killed.

razeak

My with them wandering off was they should be so terrified they don't want to.

SM

Fifield and Millburn weren't "wandering off"; they were going back to the ship because they were terrified.

The Old One

The Old One

That's far from the film's biggest issue, but it is a symptom of it, the script.

razeak

Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2020, 05:31:59 AM
Fifield and Millburn weren't "wandering off"; they were going back to the ship because they were terrified.

I was referring to the lady that gets decapitated in Covenant, and their feckless leader.

Millburn is a whole other level of stupid lol.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: razeak on Jan 06, 2020, 01:50:50 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2020, 05:31:59 AM

I was referring to the lady that gets decapitated in Covenant, and their feckless leader.

Millburn is a whole other level of stupid lol.

So then where does Millburn reside on the Dumbcon scale?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed