In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 38,125 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 08, 2019, 11:27:51 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 08, 2019, 07:44:03 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 08, 2019, 06:56:43 AM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 06, 2019, 12:54:05 PM
Alien Covenant > Half of the franchise, not including Alien, Aliens or Alien³ though of course.

True. Although, I personally like Covenant probably better than Alien 3, or at least on par with it. I feel both movies are actually quite similar in certain ways, and both films were pretty bold in the direction they took. I consider both to be flawed masterpieces. Covenant has also given me more to think about and chew on since longer than I can remember in this spiralling franchise.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the phrase "flawed masterpieces" when referring to film. Most every film, masterpieces or not, have flaws. Especially FX films. At that rate Alien 1979 can be called a flawed masterpiece with a few of its man-in-a-rubber-suit issues, Ash head issues, continuity mistakes, etc... but Alien is just called a masterpiece and I think rightly so.

To me the need to include the word flawed with the word masterpiece, just so one doesn't mistake another as classifying an inferior film on a masterpiece level, means the movie is just not a masterpiece at all.

It's only my personal opinion. I'm not using "masterpiece" in the most literal definition; I'm only using it to express how highly I consider these films within this series. And when I say flawed, it's obviously because there's things that could be better.

I got ya. I'm just expressing a personal pet peeve of mine, not at you, just in general. :) I have a hang up with the word masterpiece being used so liberally these days that I can't just shake.  ;D

Same thing with perfect scores. I'll read reviewers say The beginning act of a film was sluggish, the acting and pacing could have been better, but otherwise it was a great movie. 5 Stars out of 5. And I'm like... what? Not even a 4.5? That makes no sense!

[cancerblack]

Hey Kimmy ain't PsyKore one of those oldskool GameGossip peeps too?

PsyKore

I go back a long way in the community, but I was never really into gamegossip much. I did post there but it was more in the modding/gaming scene.

Drukathi

Killed? No. Just broke the legs and left in the desert without water. ;D

The Old One

The Old One

Alien³ is a 8/10 hiding in a 6/10. Frustratingly.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 08, 2019, 10:02:19 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 08, 2019, 06:50:01 PM
Nutters.

Where can I read your unfiltered opinion of the prequels?

I don't mind Covenant half as much as Prometheus.  I hate that a superior Alien film came from the dumpster fire that was Prometheus because now I have to acknowledge it's presence.

I've always liked Alien 3 more than the prequels.  But the AC is superior to either by a wide margin.

Of course this is my opinion.  Which is the correct one.

The Old One

The Old One

Haha, yes. The correct one.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 11, 2019, 07:03:01 PM
I've always liked Alien 3 more than the prequels.  But the AC is superior to either by a wide margin.

:o

Kimarhi

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 11, 2019, 11:09:11 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 11, 2019, 07:03:01 PM

:o

The truth is that shocking?

Local Trouble

The SMorph might see it!

Huggs

It sees everything.

Kimarhi

That is the Assembly Cut............realize that could've been taken as Covenant. 

Samhain13

Oh they know. Even though we are used to call it the best cut around here.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 11, 2019, 11:54:47 PM
The SMorph might see it!

I have survived the fires of SM disagreement for close to two decades now. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed