In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 37,189 times)

Kimarhi

Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 04, 2019, 06:46:00 AM
I assumed the blackout in the C - Level corridor was the result of the rough landing (shorting out wiring, etc) and not something mysterious. Ripley did report to Dallas that repairs weren't completed, they were still blind on B and C decks ("Reserve power system is blown.").

Later, when queried by Ripley about repairs to 12 module, Brett replies: "We did ... I don't understand it." The stress to the ship, on leaving the planet, could have undone any repairs to 12 module.

It's always been implied.  Kind of like whether the Aliens intentionally cut the power, or just disrupted the power trying to get to the Marines.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 04, 2019, 11:03:26 AM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 04, 2019, 06:46:00 AM
I assumed the blackout in the C - Level corridor was the result of the rough landing (shorting out wiring, etc) and not something mysterious. Ripley did report to Dallas that repairs weren't completed, they were still blind on B and C decks ("Reserve power system is blown.").

Later, when queried by Ripley about repairs to 12 module, Brett replies: "We did ... I don't understand it." The stress to the ship, on leaving the planet, could have undone any repairs to 12 module.

It's always been implied.  Kind of like whether the Aliens intentionally cut the power, or just disrupted the power trying to get to the Marines.

Good thing xenos don't like practical jokes. Otherwise there would be lots of kick me signs and exploding toilets too.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 04, 2019, 03:02:29 PM
Good thing xenos don't like practical jokes. Otherwise there would be lots of kick me signs and exploding toilets too.

Or they did and Hudson was blamed.

razeak

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2019, 02:23:54 AM
QuoteHe didn't cut the power.

"I thought you fixed 12 module?"

QuoteHe didn't even ambush Lambert and Parker.

He did however place himself in a position where Parker couldn't shoot him without hitting Lambert.

I always assumed it was other damage. I never connected the two. That would be pretty cool.

SM

It could very well be completely unconnected to the Alien - but the Alien restricts its attacks to darkened places.  Same as the Aliens cutting the power.  As if they know they have an advantage in the dark.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2019, 06:05:21 PM
I've long said the xeno's are space cancer. In Aliens, that cancer went into remission. There was some false hope of survival. Alien 3 saw that cancer return and for Ripley it was terminal. You don't truly escape them. Any extra time you get is hard earned and fleeting.

Oh yeah baby say my name.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 04, 2019, 04:13:49 AM
I remember starting a thread about this back in the gamegossip days  ;)

CASTE VS COWL ULTIMATE DEBATE THREAD

DNA REFLEX THREAD 3.0

Kimarhi

Caste vs cowl.  One of the best ever threads. :laugh:

Huggs

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 04, 2019, 08:33:00 PM
I've long said the xeno's are space cancer. In Aliens, that cancer went into remission. There was some false hope of survival. Alien 3 saw that cancer return and for Ripley it was terminal. You don't truly escape them. Any extra time you get is hard earned and fleeting.

"Michelle, Michelle!"

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 04, 2019, 11:45:46 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 04, 2019, 08:33:00 PM

"Michelle, Michelle!"

"Wierzbowski! WIERZBOWSKI!

Oh, wait, wrong thread.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 14, 2013, 10:13:01 PM
The first few times I saw Aliens, I thought Hicks was saying "Where's Bowksi?!  Where's Bowski?!"

Cool story bro?

Voodoo Magic

Where's the brewskis?!  Where's the brewskis?!

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 04, 2019, 10:59:05 PM
Caste vs cowl.  One of the best ever threads. :laugh:

Looking at things today it seems like cowl won, mostly.

Kimarhi

I was caste all the way baby.

I wonder if Mrph and Daemos ever made up?

Local Trouble

What thread was this?  Is there a link?

Kimarhi

You might be able to find it using wayback machine but gamegossip has died at least three times now so probably not. 

At GG the rules were different so you couldn't use director/writer commentary (out of universe information) to explain something in universe.  So the differences between the first Alien with the cowl over its head and the second movies Aliens (which didn't have them) would have huge nerdy ass debates that always fell apart in flaming sessions that were hilarious. 

Cowl was the Aliens reached a certain age and the smooth dome fell off, caste was the aliens in the second movie (despite being called warriors by Cameron) were actually a different caste than the original and served in a worker capacity. 

The reason we banned out of universe info for explanations in universe was because directors/writers/actors changed their thoughts on a whim sometimes completely 180ing on certain ideas.

We shouldn't have cared so much but it led to many interesting takes and threads on the movies. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed