Tried to watch Alien 3 again last night

Started by Nostromo, May 20, 2019, 01:15:38 PM

Author
Tried to watch Alien 3 again last night (Read 5,927 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on May 21, 2019, 07:39:21 AM
People who saw the film in theater for the latest round of anniversary screenings said the compositing was fine. And this was coming from discerning folks.

As in Alien Archives?

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2019, 10:06:19 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 21, 2019, 07:39:21 AM
People who saw the film in theater for the latest round of anniversary screenings said the compositing was fine. And this was coming from discerning folks.

As in Alien Archives?
Yeah. They're not the kind to excuse it for the sake of it, which makes me think something was done.

... or they were pumping hallucinogens into the theatre.

SM

SM

Who is they?

Many fans deify Alien 3 to a ridiculous extent.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The old Rec' board crew. Sweeper, Nightmare Asylum, Cvalda, etc.

https://twitter.com/Alien_Archives
https://alien-archives.com/

Archives went to all the anniversary showings and reported on them via Twitter.

SM

SM

QuoteThe old Rec' board crew. Sweeper, Nightmare Asylum, Cvalda, etc.

That'd explain it.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: The Old One on May 18, 2019, 11:06:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/KGRpCTg.png

Lurking, in another thread.

Quote from: SM on May 21, 2019, 11:30:02 AM
Many fans deify Alien 3 to a ridiculous extent.

As a response to the equally ridiculous extreme negativity I imagine.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on May 21, 2019, 11:37:54 AM

That'd explain it.
Cvalda doesn't give props to shitty compositing, but she said it honestly looked OK in her screening. She also said the colours were noticeably different to what she was used to on home releases -- again, not something she'd give the film for no reason.

Corporal Hicks

You can see her respond in Erik's post above:

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on May 21, 2019, 11:53:05 AM
Quote from: SM on May 21, 2019, 11:37:54 AM

That'd explain it.
Cvalda doesn't give props to shitty compositing, but she said it honestly looked OK in her screening. She also said the colours were noticeably different to what she was used to on home releases -- again, not something she'd give the film for no reason.

I dunno.  Maybe it's been tweaked, or the screening equipment hid it - but the compositing was rubbish back in 92 and Cvalda sho' did dig that flick.

SiL

She did dig the flick but she was never apologetic of the compositing.

It might also just be that she hadn't seen the film in a theater on a 35mm print projection before and it looked different, who knows. Whatever the case, it appeared different.

SM

SM

You'd want to hope so.  I remember the first time I saw Alien on the big screen after years of pan and scan VHS.  It's a whole new film.

Nostromo

Nostromo

I remember the year.. 1992, or was it 1991..friends went to theater without me cuz i was on a date I believe...guys how was the movie I asked afterwards when I met up with them. No one wanted to talk about it. Wow....be happy you couldn't make it was their answer.

I don't remember any positive reaction from TV stations either. Both because Hicks, Newt, Bishop and Ripley die...and because of the movie. Everyone's reaction was like okkkk that's one way to end the franchise...

Ripley's shaved head than caused more reaction than the movie itself. That was great publicity by the way.

Quote from: SM on May 21, 2019, 12:04:45 AM
QuoteJust to be sure, there was 2 eggs aboard right?

I don't recall two eggs.

What was the final answer to this? If one infected Ripley and another infected a dog or bull. Don't tell me it's the 2 facehuggers in one egg thingy.

SM

SM

Depends on the version.

And how literally you take it.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

The opening has one Egg, but that may be just a visualisation of Ripley's cryosleep fever dream. As the audience is informed afterwards by Ripley's dialogue.

There was definitely one or two Facehuggers, one infected Ripley on the ship and one infected an animal on the planet.

TL;DR

1992 Cut: Two Facehuggers,
one on the ship, one on the planet.
2010 Cut: One "Super" Facehugger.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Nostromo on May 21, 2019, 12:49:23 PM
What was the final answer to this? If one infected Ripley and another infected a dog or bull. Don't tell me it's the 2 facehuggers in one egg thingy.

In the extended cut: The so called queen facehugger is suppose to be able to implant 2 aliens. So it was one egg with an queen facehugger. It implanted Ripley then went for the bull. We get a shot of this facehugger in a scene, we can notice its different.

Haven't seen the original version in a while, don't remember if it has that shot of the alien egg on it. You can think it was a queen facehugger or 2 normal ones. Even if its 2 facehuggers we don't need 2 eggs for it. The facehugger could have gotten there after leaving the egg.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed