Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 237,648 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jan 20, 2014, 06:53:27 PM
If anything Aliens makes the creatures the scariest they've ever been. It's not one "dumb" alien moving around killing people, its a group of aliens moving as a unit to obtain hosts for their queen.
They aren't stupid killing machines like the dog alien, they have a goal and are able to take out highly trained soldiers to accomplish it (granted most of them died because they had no ammo, but still)

Kane's Son was scarier. It's behaviour was less obvious.

Henriksen

Henriksen

Well, first let me say this is my first day as a member, but I've enjoyed the site for maybe a year or two. If memory serves, Alien 3 was the first Alien movie I saw as a boy, my dad rented the VHS for me from Kroger when they did had a rental place. So I've always appreciated the film and have a strong defense for it. I believe Alien 3 is the closest film thematically to the original, but that's my opinion. See, I think of Alien 3 (and by extension, Alien: Resurrection) the same way I do The Hangover sequels, they may not be as good as the original, but at least they add a new layer. Then only aspect of Alien 3 that I'm not sure I stand is the Theatrical Cut vs. the Assembly Cut. I appreciate the added dialogue and subplot of catching the Runner, but the Assembly Cut omits the Chestburster coming through Ripley's chest as she falls into the molten lava, and that's my favorite shot. So I probably at least lean closer to the Theatrical Cut. Alien 3 also has been known to have been interfered with by Fox, so I don't see the personal HATE a lot of fans levy toward it. Anyway, that's my bit on Alien 3.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

I prefer not seeing the Queenburster, adds more drama to Ripley's end. Knowing she had it in her was enough, plus the Scan photo of the Queenburster is just frightening.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 21, 2014, 05:32:57 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jan 20, 2014, 06:53:27 PM
If anything Aliens makes the creatures the scariest they've ever been. It's not one "dumb" alien moving around killing people, its a group of aliens moving as a unit to obtain hosts for their queen.
They aren't stupid killing machines like the dog alien, they have a goal and are able to take out highly trained soldiers to accomplish it (granted most of them died because they had no ammo, but still)

Kane's Son was scarier. It's behaviour was less obvious.
Yes,and more bizarre (Lambert).
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jan 26, 2014, 11:35:11 PM
I prefer not seeing the Queenburster, adds more drama to Ripley's end. Knowing she had it in her was enough, plus the Scan photo of the Queenburster is just frightening.
I never did like that shot of her wrestling with the Queenburster.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Alien3, straight up there with Alien, at least if you ask me. Aliens and A:R got nothing on A3. 8)

SiL

SiL

Except plots that make sense and characters we can tell apart. And like.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You're clearly asking for too much.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SiL on Jan 27, 2014, 04:51:16 AM
Except plots that make sense and characters we can tell apart. And like.

Not really. The ratio is the same.

You got Ripley, 85, Morse, Dillon, Golic, Chalmers, Clemens, Bishop, Bishop II vs. Ripley, Hudson, Hicks, Vasquez, Drake, Gorman, Burke, Newt & Bishop.

Alien3 is superior. Aliens is just overhyped canned yesterday's food. Ages really poorly. Blah! Alien3 on the other hand :)

But that's me. I just laugh when people whine over and dismiss A3 - winey pee-pants  :P

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It was boring.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 27, 2014, 05:05:19 AM
You got Ripley, 85, Morse, Dillon, Golic, Chalmers, Clemens, Bishop, Bishop II vs. Ripley, Hudson, Hicks, Vasquez, Drake, Gorman, Burke, Newt & Bishop.
Okay, that you called Andrews Chalmers kind'a proves my point.

QuoteAlien3 is superior.
Except it isn't. It's not a well made film. It's pretty and it sounds nice, but it's a hacked together mess. The only people who refuse to admit it are fans who for some reason decided they needed to convince themselves otherwise.

I like Alien3 more than Aliens, but it's not the better movie.

QuoteAliens is just overhyped canned yesterday's food. Ages really poorly. Blah! Alien3 on the other hand :)
Alien3, on the other hand, wasn't even good enough to be eaten yesterday, and maintains much of its fanbase solely from the sort of hipsters who need to make everything look vintage on their instagram photos. ;)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I don't even get the love for the special edition.  It was just more to be disappointed with.

SiL

SiL

The Special Edition allows the plot room to breathe and not feel quite so hacked, particularly around the bait and chase sequence. However seeing as it's not meant as anything more than a novelty, they left in a lot of fat that leaves the film needlessly bloated. An ideal edit of the movie would be somewhere between the two.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

One of these days, CG will be easy enough for some fan to create whole new scenes and edit them into a movie.  Only then can I imagine Alien 3 being redeemable.

SiL

SiL

If you don't like what's there then you'd need to remake the whole film. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

But I want to like it.  I just can't bring myself to do so.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed