Katherine Waterston on Alien: Covenant 2 - "I Haven’t Heard Anything in Ages"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 24, 2018, 11:19:48 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston on Alien: Covenant 2 - "I Haven’t Heard Anything in Ages" (Read 29,675 times)

Evanus

I suppose it is.  :D

But I really wonder how they're going to explain all these things in the next film, if they want to link it back to Alien. It'll be interersting.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Yeah, it looks like a complex of underground catacombs made by the Engineers. They probably will never explain it, but I am very curious to know a canonical answer to such detail. It would be interesting indeed.

bb-15

Quote from: SM on May 03, 2018, 10:23:25 AM
Did Disney make super hero epics or space sagas before they bough Marvel and Lucasfilm?

Yes, Disney tried that a decade or more ago.
- Space Travel science-fiction; The Black Hole and more recently WALL-E through Pixar.
- Superheroes; The Incredibles by Pixar.

* Disney has had a desire for a long time to be successful in these family friendly genres. That is why they bought the MCU and Lucas film.
Disney also wants the Avatar franchise. This is a major reason why they bought Fox's movie division.

Disney wants more huge blockbusters which reach a wide demographic. The Alien franchise is in the smaller niche of science fiction/horror which before a decade ago, Disney had shown little interest.

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on May 03, 2018, 06:53:53 PM
Yeah, it looks like a complex of underground catacombs made by the Engineers. They probably will never explain it, but I am very curious to know a canonical answer to such detail. It would be interesting indeed.

In the early "Alien" concepts/novelization, the egg chamber seemed to be outside of the derelict ship. In pre-production, there were drawings of a dome which could contain the eggs.
In the final film that idea was set aside and the egg chamber was put on the derelict.

;)

SM

SM

QuoteYes, Disney tried that a decade or more ago.
- Space Travel science-fiction; The Black Hole and more recently WALL-E through Pixar.

None of these qualify as super hero epics or space sagas.

Dimension was owned by Disney while they were making Halloween, Children of the Corn and Hellraiser movies.

Not sure why you'd think Disney buying Fox would be any different to Disney buying Pixar, Marvel or LFL.

And I'll see your Black Hole and raise you a Watcher In The Woods.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on May 03, 2018, 06:53:53 PM

Originally the eggs were in a separate building, a pyramid. Native to the planet.
And the Engineers were visitors from another planet, who just like the humans checked out the temple and got into trouble.
Because of the budget, they merged the Derelict with the temple.

When you see the Juggernaut taking off in Prometheus, it's pretty big. Making me think we didn't see the whole interiour.
It's possible there are different rooms or floors. Like some big hangar in the belly of the ship.
Or maybe David finds a ship on Origae-6 and changes it to fit his plans.

Highland

Quote from: necrotard on May 03, 2018, 03:07:47 PM
Quote from: Highland on May 03, 2018, 02:20:54 PM
Well we know the SJ is an Engineer, that was really the big one. We know David made the eggs and even if he didn't the eggs were made/designed by the Engineers as weapons. We know the ship crashes. Getting to how the ship crashed is really the only thing left, which honestly isn't as interesting as who is the SJ and what are the Aliens (both answered).

The size discrepancy between the space jockey and engineers might be a sloppy change made by Ridley, or it might mean that it's a different creature.  (It doesn't seem like a stretch to think maybe it's one of the creatures that created the engineers, implying that the engineers model their suits after their gods.)

Scott said the SJ was a pilot in a suit, we've seen their home planet.  I think that's been put to bed.

The decay/fossilization of the space jockey is also an issue, (which I also have an idea on how to fix).  Again, is this just Ridley being dumb and lazy or is it something yet to be explained?
We can't know if we never let him finish telling his story

Or it could have been Frozen or decayed because of the breach in the hull.

QuoteAnd if David made the eggs, how in the hell did they end up on an engineer ship?  It's not like the answers are glaringly obvious and simple.  Alien: Awakening does not feel pre-ordained to me as if we all know exactly what's going to happen.

David can fully operate Engineer ships, it's not a stretch to imagine he just put them there.

And if you're a Star Wars fan, would it honestly not have bothered you at all if the franchise just stopped cold turkey after Episode II?

Of course, because Star Wars was designed and written as a trilogy. The Alien prequels clearly are not.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Did Ridley ever specifically come out and say for sure that the space jockey was an engineer?  I listened to the Prometheus commentary during the engineer scenes and he does seem to suggest it, but never outright says it.

Maybe I am over-complicating this... maybe it is as simple as David completing his biomechanical creations on Origae 6, then engineers come and take his eggs, or David plants eggs on an engineer ship.

I've been trying to fix the size and fossilization discrepancies, but maybe they will just be glossed over in Ridley's version with little to no reasoning.

The end of the Advent short seems so tantalizing too.  What is David requesting from the company?

But maybe it's as simple as David notifying them of his creature's existence, telling them to come get specimens by any means necessary, such as sacrificing the Nostromo crew or making Hadley's Hope.

SM

QuoteDid Ridley ever specifically come out and say for sure that the space jockey was an engineer?  I listened to the Prometheus commentary during the engineer scenes and he does seem to suggest it, but never outright says it.

He does in the making of doco.

bb-15

Quote from: SM on May 03, 2018, 08:31:36 PM
Dimension was owned by Disney while they were making Halloween, Children of the Corn and Hellraiser movies.

Good catch. You are right about Dimension (which was part of the Miramax deal).
- However, Dimension was a small, low budget studio.
But still that Dimension deal supports your point that Disney could let the Fox movie division do what it wants.
We'll see.

* By me;
QuoteYes, Disney tried that a decade or more ago.

Quote from: SM on May 03, 2018, 08:31:36 PM
None of these qualify as super hero epics or space sagas.

Because epics/sagas (a big box office multi-film franchise) was very hard to do.
The Black Hole failed at the box office.
With Warner Brothers, Superman 3/4 were failures. So were Batman 3/4.
Marvel was nothing in films before X-Men.
Romancing the Stone didn't lead to a franchise and so on.

* My point was that Disney released films in the sci-fi space travel / superhero genres. They were interested in doing those kinds of films.
At the same time for decades, Disney didn't release a space alien science fiction horror movie similar to the Alien franchise.

;)

SM

And they're not about to start.  They can get Fox to make them for them.

bb-15

Quote from: SM on May 04, 2018, 09:29:02 PM
And they're not about to start.  They can get Fox to make them for them.

At this point I think we are about on the same page (after discussing what Disney did with Dimension & Miramax's Lord of the Rings project).
You are just optimistic about what Disney will do with another Alien film while I'm pessimistic.
Fair enough.

* On an earlier topic in this thread, the ending of Covenant, imo this is reversed.
You reacted in a more pessimistic way, while I'm optimistic.

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2018, 02:51:10 AM
One of my main criticisms of Covenant was the mean ending.  Danny, T and Walter being marooned would've been a preferable 'baddie wins' ending than being completely at his mercy.  I can live with a 'monster isn't dead yet' ending - which is a little like Alien with the thousands of eggs left on the planet - if the protagonists still come out on top in some respect.

I'm optimistic about this since the beings to overcome David are hinted in AC.
- Walter; Prometheus showed how hard it is to completely destroy an android. David didn't have much time (to melt Walter like Ash). Even if Walter is in pieces, he can be put back together. And once that happened, he'd try to stop David.
- The Engineers; they are a galactic species. Some Engineer crew is going to find what took place on their homeworld and go after David.

Just my personal reaction which in no way tries to negate how you felt.

;).

SM

QuoteYou are just optimistic about what Disney will do with another Alien film while I'm pessimistic.

I don't have a clue either way.  The point is I'm optimistic that Fox will simply change parents from News Corp to Disney, but essentially retain it's overall identity.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I think Hicks mentioned somewhere that Disney was only going to keep the Fox Searchlight Pictures division (basically a distributor for indie, arthouse and smaller foreign films). Didn't look like they were planning to keep the main 20th Century Fox label with the "a news corp company" changed to "a Disney company" unfortunately. 

bb-15

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 05, 2018, 03:35:30 PM
I think Hicks mentioned somewhere that Disney was only going to keep the Fox Searchlight Pictures division (basically a distributor for indie, arthouse and smaller foreign films). Didn't look like they were planning to keep the main 20th Century Fox label with the "a news corp company" changed to "a Disney company" unfortunately.

It depends on the source whether the Disney / Fox merger will include all the Fox movie division.
Some sources say the merger will include Deadpool (X-Men) and the Alien franchise.

* Ryan Reynolds on being forced to take out a Disney joke from Deadpool 2.

QuoteFox made me take it out," Reynolds said. "It had more to do with Disney, and they made me take it out.
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/fox-ryan-reynolds-cut-deadpool-2-joke-disney-1201960099/

* Reynolds talking about how Disney would treat Deadpool;

QuoteReynolds admitted. "I read that [CEO and chairman] Bob Iger felt that there's plenty of room in that universe to have a rated-R character like Deadpool. This is completely conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't imagine that Disney bought Fox to dismantle it or something like that. I think that Disney bought Fox so it could have that in its arsenal."
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05/02/deadpool-disney-fox-merger-ryan-reynolds/

* Ridley Scott on what Disney will do with the Alien franchise;

QuoteIt looks to me that the Fox deal is certainly going to go ahead with Disney, and I've been with Fox for a number years now. I'm hoping I'll still probably be there so whether or not they go ahead with such a dark subject, being Disney, as Aliens remains to be seen.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ridley-scott-alien-franchise-disney/

;)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: bb-15 on May 05, 2018, 07:55:34 PM
It depends on the source whether the Disney / Fox merger will include all the Fox movie division.
Some sources say the merger will include Deadpool (X-Men) and the Alien franchise.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Alien franchise was included in the deal. It's only Fox News Corp that still belongs to Murdoch. It just looks like they may not be using the 20th Century Fox brand anymore which will be a pity if true. Makes more sense to me to keep it and finance and distribute all the stuff that might be inappropriate for the Disney brand under Fox as a separate entity.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed