Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting?

Started by Frosty Venom, Sep 30, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

Which trio of films is better?

Prometheus, Alien Covenant and Alien
44 (52.4%)
Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection
40 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author
Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting? (Read 20,571 times)

whiterabbit

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Oct 20, 2018, 01:39:46 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 19, 2018, 11:50:41 PM
Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Oct 19, 2018, 09:14:48 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Oct 19, 2018, 09:08:45 PM
Been on the sauce all day  ;D
I can tell. :laugh:

Was it being mentioned in every thread that tipped you off?
Yeah, that and him straight up talking about barbecue sauce in a thread about predator dogs.
Way too coherent to be drunk. I think he literally had too much BBQ sauce.

PsyKore

Quote from: The Cruentus on Oct 19, 2018, 03:57:46 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 17, 2018, 01:32:35 AM
Aliens is hard to pass up because that film is such a force to be reckoned with, but I chose the first option just because I prefer the more horror-centric Alien and Covenant, and which I think are better than Alien 3 and Res by quite a big margin. So it's just a case of two movies I like the most versus one.

Covenant is more slasher than horror in my opinion, especially with the way the deaths are set up, along with character decisions.

Yes and no. Covenant has some red shirt characters which makes it feel like a slasher at times, but compare it with other modern horror films of the time and you can see how far better quality Covenant actually is as a horror film. The backburster sequence is literally minutes long and has the longest buildup in the whole franchise; I was glued to the screen when watching that for the first time. The film also has a lot more artistry involved which sets it above the bar. And dumb decisions are something common in all the Alien films, it's just that Covenant doesn't get a pass from people because it's modern or people don't like the film.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 20, 2018, 04:31:28 AM

Yeah, that and him straight up talking about barbecue sauce in a thread about predator dogs.

Yeah, there should've been no spacing and a lot of run-on sentences.  :D Way too clean. Unless he was like Niles Crane with that hash brownie. One sip and he's like "Cool I'm drunk!".  ;D

The Cruentus

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 20, 2018, 02:51:00 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 20, 2018, 04:31:28 AM

Yeah, there should've been no spacing and a lot of run-on sentences.  :D Way too clean. Unless he was like Niles Crane with that hash brownie. One sip and he's like "Cool I'm drunk!".  ;D

Actually it was too much gin, I was fairly coherent for the state I was in given how much of it I had, especially since I haven't really had a proper drink in awhile thanks to work, but I do know how to hold my liquor  :laugh: That being said, I actually did make a few mistakes, I just had the luck (and experience from previous mishaps) of focusing my eyes just before I pressed "Post" to correct them.  :P
Didn't enjoy the near almost instant headache I had though, first time drinking that gin since my usual drinking partner is good old Jack. Yes, I am boring that way.  ;D

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 20, 2018, 09:51:08 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Oct 19, 2018, 03:57:46 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 17, 2018, 01:32:35 AM
Aliens is hard to pass up because that film is such a force to be reckoned with, but I chose the first option just because I prefer the more horror-centric Alien and Covenant, and which I think are better than Alien 3 and Res by quite a big margin. So it's just a case of two movies I like the most versus one.

Covenant is more slasher than horror in my opinion, especially with the way the deaths are set up, along with character decisions.

Yes and no. Covenant has some red shirt characters which makes it feel like a slasher at times, but compare it with other modern horror films of the time and you can see how far better quality Covenant actually is as a horror film. The backburster sequence is literally minutes long and has the longest buildup in the whole franchise; I was glued to the screen when watching that for the first time. The film also has a lot more artistry involved which sets it above the bar. And dumb decisions are something common in all the Alien films, it's just that Covenant doesn't get a pass from people because it's modern or people don't like the film.

I agree there is some good stuff in Covenant and that there are dumb decisions in other alien movies, but I feel that Covenant is the worst in that regard and some deaths are just set up so poorly. Ledworth claims he going to take a leak just to have a ciggy, it is a pointless lie with no reason to it, also you know what is coming when someone goes to take a leak or wander off somewhere. I want some surprises in films like these. The backburster scene is definitely a highpoint.

PsyKore

Quote from: The Cruentus on Oct 20, 2018, 08:01:03 PM
I agree there is some good stuff in Covenant and that there are dumb decisions in other alien movies, but I feel that Covenant is the worst in that regard and some deaths are just set up so poorly. Ledworth claims he going to take a leak just to have a ciggy, it is a pointless lie with no reason to it, also you know what is coming when someone goes to take a leak or wander off somewhere. I want some surprises in films like these. The backburster scene is definitely a highpoint.

Alien is the same though. You know when people are going to be killed. Does that mean it's set up poorly? As soon as Brett separates and calls for Jones - "Here kitty kitty!" - you know he's a goner. When Dallas goes into the vents, you know he's not coming back. Etc.

While Covenant doesn't have the memorable characters from the first, it doesn't really do anything else differently from the first.

The Cruentus

Brett I agree but Dallas was thought to be the lead up until his death, so there was probably peeps that thought he was going to make it.

Brett only ended up on his own because he let the cat go and the others told him to get it so that it would not show up on the tracker again. It is all how it is set up. Ledward's death was not set up as well. The guy lies for no reason.

PsyKore

I don't agree Ledward lies for no reason. The reason itself is probably unimportant which is why it's disregarded, but it's evident he needs to sneak in a smoke which isn't unrelatable.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Cruentus on Oct 21, 2018, 03:49:14 PM
Brett only ended up on his own because he let the cat go and the others told him to get it so that it would not show up on the tracker again.

I'll never understand that. It's the one thing that's always stood out to me. They've been through all that hell, and they just let him go.

The were scared to death of the facehugger, and it didn't even do anything except fall off and die. They knew there was hostile life, and that the chestburster exhibited enough power to tear through a grown man's chest and run away. Surely they thought it could at least injure somebody?

And, Parker and Brett being friends, he still made him go, alone. I'll never understand it. I just can't see any of them allowing one person to break away from the group and put themselves in danger. It made no sense, other than to line up the first target for the xenomorph.

It was a moment where Ripley did fail to lead.

whiterabbit

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 28, 2018, 10:54:53 AM
I don't agree Ledward lies for no reason. The reason itself is probably unimportant which is why it's disregarded, but it's evident he needs to sneak in a smoke which isn't unrelatable.
This is addressed early on in the movie when what's her name told Oram to let the funeral thing go because soon these people will be his neighbors when they land. The crew wasn't really a team in any sense of the word.

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 28, 2018, 02:09:33 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Oct 21, 2018, 03:49:14 PM
Brett only ended up on his own because he let the cat go and the others told him to get it so that it would not show up on the tracker again.

I'll never understand that. It's the one thing that's always stood out to me. They've been through all that hell, and they just let him go.

The were scared to death of the facehugger, and it didn't even do anything except fall off and die. They knew there was hostile life, and that the chestburster exhibited enough power to tear through a grown man's chest and run away. Surely they thought it could at least injure somebody?

And, Parker and Brett being friends, he still made him go, alone. I'll never understand it. I just can't see any of them allowing one person to break away from the group and put themselves in danger. It made no sense, other than to line up the first target for the xenomorph.

It was a moment where Ripley did fail to lead.
When they sent Brett after the cat they still assumed the alien was a 2 foot worm and they thought they could catch it with a fricking net. It is obvious that they're underestimating their adversary. So in their mind, it's just a worm.

SM

And Brett was armed.

whiterabbit

You mean cattle prod or the gun? Because I thought only Kane had the gun and that was lost on lv246. In any case he did have two arms.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 28, 2018, 07:40:26 PM
When they sent Brett after the cat they still assumed the alien was a 2 foot worm and they thought they could catch it with a fricking net. It is obvious that they're underestimating their adversary. So in their mind, it's just a worm.

A fast moving 2 foot worm with teeth and the power to blast through a human chest. One recently born from an alien organism that successfully attacked and subdued a member of the crew.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 28, 2018, 07:53:56 PM
You mean cattle prod or the gun? Because I thought only Kane had the gun and that was lost on lv246. In any case he did have two arms.

I thought parker had the prod?

whiterabbit

Brett had the prod when Jonesy escaped but I don't remember seeing him with it when the Alien takes him.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 28, 2018, 08:18:30 PM
Brett had the prod when Jonesy escaped but I don't remember seeing him with it when the Alien takes him.

I seem to remember somebody dropped it on the floor when he was taken. So if he didn't have the prod, then he was definitely unarmed.

On a side note, he did say it (the prod) shouldn't damage the creature, so I wouldn't consider that being armed (even if he had it). You're only armed if your weapon can damage your opponent.

SiL

The point of the prod was to make the thing f**k off.  Damaging it would cause a hull breach.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed