Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 65,298 times)

The Old One

The Old One

So, Prometheus but recontextualised to be good?

Sure, go for it.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 03, 2018, 02:46:58 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 03, 2018, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 02, 2018, 09:11:12 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2018, 08:04:59 PMDo we have any concrete evidence that the company, as a whole, was bad? I mean, 937 could've been sent by one guy higher up.

The fact the entire Nostromo incident was covered up (strongly implied in Aliens and outright confirmed in Isolation) suggests it was likely one or more individuals within the company that were responsible for sending the ship there, rather than the company as a whole.

Yeah Burke seems to be acting alone in Aliens, I don't think he would have wanted extra company involvement either even if it would have increased chances of getting an Alien because he wanted to have exclusive claim on the credit for getting the specimens.  He is probably the only company member in the movies that actually does something straight up evil, getting Ripley and Newt infected was only part of it as Ripley later tells the Marine he would have had to kill them all in their hypersleep for his plan to work.

It is only in Alien 3 we actually meet a group from the company that want the Alien and even then, they offer to save Ripley and they spared Morse. Aaron was killed but only because he assaulted Bishop.
True their offer to save Ripley was so they could get the specimen and there have been a chance Ripley would not survive the operation or that they could be lying but it is ambiguous not overt, unlike in A:CM where Michael Bishop is a blatant nasty piece of work.
I agree that Burke was acting alone (and other EU materials have supported this), but if you think that the WY detachment sent to Fury 161 wouldn't have executed everyone in the facility if they thought it would have gotten them an Alien, then I've got a bridge to sell you. The goal was to capture an Alien alive; all those PMCs with guns weren't there to shoot at the Alien. :P

Morse got spared because he was the only salvageable part of the operation after Ripley killed herself (and the newborn Queen). Keep in mind this is the same group of WY people who kneecapped Morse when he tried to impede access to Ripley.

That said, I personally don't think Michael Bishop was cartoonishly evil, especially not in the assembly cut. I think he was being genuine when he was saying that they wanted to take the Alien out of Ripley and that they'd let her live.

Not to sound naive but those guns were probably for self-defence and Bishop's protection, yes they want the Alien alive but I would wager that they care about their own lives more. Because you know, the Alien is dangerous. :P

One of them does indeed shoot Morse in the leg and Bishops yells for the shooter to stop. I am not saying they are angels, just not the bond villains they became in the expanded universe.

He probably was but then that game came along.

Wweyland

I am all for new books, but adapting an existing story will bring about the nitpicker in me, and I would prefer an original story.
The great thing is that this will create more buzz for Alien: Isolation and perhaps revive the chances for a game sequel.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 03, 2018, 04:43:37 PMI am all for new books, but adapting an existing story will bring about the nitpicker in me, and I would prefer an original story.

The "partly" comment from Keith implies to me that this will be largely original.

Chainsaw Squirrel

Chainsaw Squirrel

How many times does everyone and their mother have to yell it out on twitter? MAKE ALIEN ISOLATION 2 ALREADY FA f**k SAAAAKE!!!!

SM

As long as Isolation didn't make enough money I suppose.

QuoteOne of them does indeed shoot Morse in the leg and Bishops yells for the shooter to stop. I am not saying they are angels, just not the bond villains they became in the expanded universe.

Bishop told the shooter to stop because he didn't want them to hit Ripley by mistake.

And the Company being 'Bond villains' in the expanded universe is overstated.  They're not really in a lot of those stories.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

They may not be in the majority of the books and comics, but whenever they do show up, they seem to be presented as a bunch of amoral nutters. And other than Isolation, I can't think of a single video game featuring them where they're presented as anything other than unrealistically over-the-top psychopaths who happily sacrifice hundreds of innocents to further their goals, or gladly feed random civilians to their pet Aliens in the name of "science".

I think their reputation as being cartoonishly evil villains in the EU is well-founded.

SM

Off the top of my head, the Alien stories that fit that description are Berserker, Havoc and No Exit.  Might be some more (particularly when you factor in AvP), but that's not much in the grand scheme of things.

SiL

A:CM is a great example.

SM

Yeah I forgot about that earlier. Only just remembered where the hosts came from.

Covenant

Covenant

Do you think this one will be adapted as an audio drama ?

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Sep 03, 2018, 09:05:24 PM
Off the top of my head, the Alien stories that fit that description are Berserker, Havoc and No Exit.  Might be some more (particularly when you factor in AvP), but that's not much in the grand scheme of things.
WY isn't in the AvP EU a lot. They got a name drop in the original AvP comic series, and they're surprisingly tame in the first two AvP PC games. Karl Weyland isn't a very nice guy in AvP2010, though.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 03, 2018, 11:09:42 PM
Quote from: SM on Sep 03, 2018, 09:05:24 PM
WY isn't in the AvP EU a lot. They got a name drop in the original AvP comic series, and they're surprisingly tame in the first two AvP PC games. Karl Weyland isn't a very nice guy in AvP2010, though.

The company as a whole in that game is pretty bad, Groves and the other scientists have no issue having colonists kidnapped and impregnated by the Aliens and they also have their comabt androids terminate employees as part of the contract clause.

The Old One

The Old One

It's excessive in AVP 2010.

Corporal Hicks

From what I remember Inhuman Condition was particularly cartoony with regards to Karl Bennett.

Quote from: Covenant on Sep 03, 2018, 10:32:41 PM
Do you think this one will be adapted as an audio drama ?

Unknown. Probably way too early for an Alien Day 2019 release but we've no idea if they're even carrying on with them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed