20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting

Started by Whos_Nick, Mar 04, 2022, 01:10:38 AM

Author
20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting (Read 15,957 times)

Neil Steel

I wanna be positive, being that PREY - is Disney's first outing with this franchise and the potential for an outstanding film but....I have my doubts? My biggest concern, is that they (Producers of the film) have stated that PREY will be the first hunt/visit by the Predator to Earth, which is against 30 years of 'lore' in the franchise where the Yautja have been coming to Earth for centuries before 1719!   

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2022, 11:18:06 PM
It being Greyback can really only work as an Easter egg. It would be super shitty fanservice to have the character look exactly the same, just less grey.

So when Gandalf looked like Gandalf in The Hobbit, but less white in his beard, it was super shitty fan service?

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 08, 2022, 03:12:23 AM
So when Gandalf looked like Gandalf in The Hobbit, but less white in his beard, it was super shitty fan service?
Are you taking the piss or do you actually think that's the least bit analogous?

If I must clarify I'm talking about his full appearance, including outfit. Obviously his face should be recognisable as a younger version - the original Predator with some spikes, whatever.

We can already see from the poster that the Predator doesn't have the same silhouette as Greyback so if it is the same character it won't be as in your face throughout.

Kradan

It being Greyback can really only work as an Easter egg. It would be super shitty fanservice to have the character look exactly the same, just less grey.

Except Greyback's role in the story isn't as instrumental as Gandalf's. Greyback in P2 is essentially cool last minute cameo. You remove him and movie would've still worked

SiL

SiL

Also the fact that The Hobbit was written first and the "fanservice" would be him looking the same in LOTR, not the other way around...  ;D

Corporal Hicks

I'd expect his dreads to not be grey - the greying and bluing of the dreads always seemed like the major way they signified age in the design - but I expect facially we may get the same - the P1 look again, which I suppose production could get away with on the cheap as I'd imagine ADI still has Fugitive's head molds.

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 08, 2022, 12:53:47 AM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Mar 08, 2022, 12:26:15 AM
I wonder how Raphael would fit into this, seeing that the comic is 4 years earlier than the film's setting? Maybe its heard over conversations with the European characters, noting how there were pirates and sailors were showing up as skinned bodies hanging from trees or heads with their spines missing, including the disappearance of one of the most notorious pirates around. That would be a cool moment, where both European and Native sides share their stories about the invisible demon that hunted the Americas. Adds to the whole supernatural atmosphere that is a welcoming and needed feeling for the film.
I'm really not expecting the comic to have any bearing on the movie at all

Yeah, they wont be factoring in the comic at all in this. Or I'd expect them not to. I'd be extremely surprised if they did.

SiL

If they want it to be the P1 look and they try to pass off Fugitive as that again then what is even the point.

Corporal Hicks

Kradan

Hardcore fans don't accept Fugitive as being 1 to 1 replica of JH face

Corporal Hicks

Naturally. He's not one. But it was supposed to be like the Jungle Hunter. I was just thinking/speculating budget-wise that I could see it happening. I mean, I'd been honestly expecting to see the Emissaries in this for the exact same reason.

Kradan

Kradan

Emissaries FTW !

Imagine if they try to recreate the magic of Lost Ship sequence from the end of P2 in this movie but with ADI Preds ? Voodoo's head will explode from the fury  :D

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2022, 09:01:11 AM
Point of what, sorry?
Why make it the same character if you wouldn't make it look passingly like that character.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Mar 08, 2022, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2022, 09:01:11 AM
Point of what, sorry?
Why make it the same character if you wouldn't make it look passingly like that character.

Fugitive was supposed to be like Classic. Greyback was JH's head (was it the same head, or just the same molds?) modified. It'd be a cheap starting point. Again, not saying I want it, saying I can see why it'd be done.

BigDaddyJohn

Still having the molds, It would be highly probable for ADI to re-use it (unfortunately). Still, a miracle could happen.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 08, 2022, 06:11:42 AM

Except Greyback's role in the story isn't as instrumental as Gandalf's. Greyback in P2 is essentially cool last minute cameo. You remove him and movie would've still worked

So when a character's role is instrumental, it's okay for the character to look like himself but younger? But when the character' role is not instrumental, doing that is super shitty fan service?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed