Is the Alien Anthology still the best Blu-Ray Release of the movies?

Started by Inverse Effect, Jul 05, 2021, 04:43:11 AM

Author
Is the Alien Anthology still the best Blu-Ray Release of the movies? (Read 20,601 times)

The_Nostromo_Files

I'd like it in the special virtual reality edition, pleez...

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: TNF on Jul 06, 2021, 11:48:13 PM
I'd like it in the special virtual reality edition, pleez...
I dream about these movies and the xenomorph creature at least once a week. I would give that ability to someone else if I could.

SiL

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Jul 06, 2021, 11:25:56 PM
Master file" is the term for the raw digital file created by digitally scanning the original film, or the existing print with the highest quality/least level of degradation.
Yes, I know. But they're not scanning the negative, they're scanning colour-timed release prints. Saturation, contrast, and other colour information has already been baked-in by the photochemical process. The 4K print will provide you about as much colour and bit depth as you need to do good custom grades already.

Quotemovie this worshipped deserves to have a product end of life, not kept on some money cow life support like some comatose vegetable. People will then do with it what they will.
It already does. It's called copyright.

Crazy Rich

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Are we talking about the 4k file fox has, or the 4k copies being sold?

They have something that no one is getting the best version of. I know the difference between a raw video stream, and a lossy compressed one may not be visible to anyone that isn't a pixel peeper, if at all, but people out there buy things like this all the time for that last .1% or .01%.

Usually when you properly want to change a grading, you start with a lossless image, then encode to make it small. You don't change an already encoded image because the result is inferior.

I'm suggesting the most flawless copy of the film possible be made available. That'll be something terabytes in size, and not 100GB or less.

I want to add that I'm happy with DVD level picture quality if it is displayed at the correct frame rate, and the audio is at least as good as what standard blu ray offers. If the language I'm using is still not clear, I'll clarify my first statement.

SiL

I'm saying the commercially available version will provide enough detail and information to grade for anyone who's not on professional equipment. If I'm booking studio time and sitting at a $20k DaVinci desk, sure, gimme the raw file. I'll build a node tree and massage the shit out of those colours. But I'm not, and nobody's going to watch it in a way that makes the difference worthwhile anyway.

Xeno Killer 2179

gotcha.

It was a joke suggestion but also serious, for the protection of the billionaire consumer from excessive rereleases. That would generate some interesting article, I'm sure.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 05, 2021, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: Guts on Jul 05, 2021, 07:43:35 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 05, 2021, 11:15:34 AM
The 4K release of Alien is the way to go there.

Aliens/Alien 3/Alien: Resurrection don't get any better than the Anthology at the moment though.

How does the 4k version of Alien watch like? Is the Blu-ray that comes with it from the same print as the 4K ver? or is the blu ray included that of the Anthology version?

Like TQ said, the Blu-ray disc included with the 4K is just the Anthology disc in a new box. But the remaster on the 4K disc is brand new and looks gorgeous. The color especially is quite different from the Anthology release, and skews away from the alterations made to the Anthology release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQAG7ddcOM

Ohhhooo000oooo....So far then, that's the only new release that's stand alone? regarding the 4 original movies? Hmmm

Do you know if there's any plans for a new 4K Anothogly of the entire Series? like Alien to Prom 2. Been slowly upgrading my Blu-rays to

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Guts on Jul 10, 2021, 01:52:49 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 05, 2021, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: Guts on Jul 05, 2021, 07:43:35 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 05, 2021, 11:15:34 AM
The 4K release of Alien is the way to go there.

Aliens/Alien 3/Alien: Resurrection don't get any better than the Anthology at the moment though.

How does the 4k version of Alien watch like? Is the Blu-ray that comes with it from the same print as the 4K ver? or is the blu ray included that of the Anthology version?

Like TQ said, the Blu-ray disc included with the 4K is just the Anthology disc in a new box. But the remaster on the 4K disc is brand new and looks gorgeous. The color especially is quite different from the Anthology release, and skews away from the alterations made to the Anthology release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQAG7ddcOM

Ohhhooo000oooo....So far then, that's the only new release that's stand alone? regarding the 4 original movies? Hmmm

Do you know if there's any plans for a new 4K Anothogly of the entire Series? like Alien to Prom 2. Been slowly upgrading my Blu-rays to

There are also standalone 4K releases of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, but currently, there is no firm news of 4K standalone releases of Aliens, Alien 3, or Alien: Resurrection or a full series six-film set. There were some rumblings a few months ago that we might be seeing these releases but nothing concrete yet unfortunately; I'm crossing my fingers and hoping, though.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 06, 2021, 11:38:21 PM
I enjoy my Anthology enough, even donated my "Quadrilogy" (DVD) a week ago actually for space reasons.

So Anthology is better than Quadtrilogy?

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah. The Anthology is, for all intents and purposes, the Blu-ray update of the DVD-only Quadrilogy set.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 20, 2021, 08:27:03 PM
Yeah. The Anthology is, for all intents and purposes, the Blu-ray update of the DVD-only Quadrilogy set.

Does Anthology include Prometheus and Alien Covenant? I assume it does, but want to be sure.

BlueMarsalis79

The Alien Anthology released in 2010.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jul 21, 2021, 01:52:35 AM
The Alien Anthology released in 2010.

Well that settles that it didn't have Prometheus and Covenant. Perhaps a new box set is coming?

SiL

Very unlikely. Feature-rich home releases are less and less common with streaming services.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed