More Victims! More Mutilations! An Interview with Predator 2 Director Stephen Hopkins - AvP Galaxy Podcast #121

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 08, 2021, 04:00:41 PM

Author
More Victims! More Mutilations! An Interview with Predator 2 Director Stephen Hopkins - AvP Galaxy Podcast #121 (Read 24,153 times)

Enjoy

Very entertaining interview. A+++ Grade.

Enjoy

I would want to ask him if he would work on another predator film or an episode in a predator series .

oduodu

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 08, 2021, 04:31:23 PM

There's lots of tasty morsels to be found in this one including some alien in nature!

Aye indeed!

Voodoo Magic

Yep!  :)

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 09, 2021, 03:52:14 PM
That's great now I'm going to have to watch the whole  podcast  :laugh:. Only listened to it the first time lol.

:laugh: I believe that's the only podcast moment that couldn't be ascertained without video.

Quote from: Enjoy on Jan 09, 2021, 04:27:11 PM
That picture of preds in the cemetary, Is that an indication that predator had a scene that was cut out at the cemetary ?

I wouldn't say a cut "scene", but perhaps an uncamouflaged moment during the Want Some Candy/Danny Necklace scene. However they did create some camouflage moments with Stan's suit versus just the traditional red suit.

Kradan

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

I'm still confused to what was cut from the movie? Stephen says it was little bits of gore here and there of dead bodies hanging. But is that all?

So when the Colombians were getting killed in the beginning that scene was never filmed?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR on Jan 09, 2021, 08:54:38 PM
I'm still confused to what was cut from the movie? Stephen says it was little bits of gore here and there of dead bodies hanging. But is that all?

Yep. No scenes were cut. It all grew to a big urban legend.

Just read what Stephen Hopkins said, courtesy of the absolute awesome job Darkness did transcribing the interview! 👏

• "I'd love to be able to come with some stuff again but actually it was really frame by frame cutting. I think we had to go back 17 times with the film and a part of it was political. I think they were trying to make a statement with Joel's films because he was making all these big violent action films and I'd already had a run in with them on Nightmare on Elm Street as well. They also had a hard on a little bit for Bob Shaye in the Nightmare films and it was just this period of time.

Because I'd had a run in with them and Joel constantly, they wanted to make a bit of an example. At one point it was thought "Well maybe we should just go with the NC17. Maybe that would be huge. The first time anyone had done it." But there's all the repercussions like not being advertised in newspapers and this is obviously before the internet. So it was really a choice that the studio wasn't willing to make. In the end, actually, it was more to do with political conversations I think as well as tiny cuts and some of the nudity in the Jamaican scene with Teri Weigel and hanging shots too long. It was really that kind of boring stuff that you could cut out.

They didn't cause us to cut any scenes out of the film. It was just sort of trying to whiz by things."

QuoteSo when the Colombians were getting killed in the beginning that scene was never filmed?

No. Never filmed. There was no such scene in the Shooting Script to film. It goes from "El Scorpio is ready", to glass shattering & battle noises, to "Sarge, any of your people in the building?"

Kradan

Kradan

I've never felt there was something missing in that scene. It's more effective that way - burst of glass and the next thing we see is room full of blood and hung bodies. And we've just had one big action scene anyway

Billiken

Predator 2 is probably my only true love. No floozie chick who has come into my life has never given me the enjoyment P2 gives. I'd love to see a prequel or sequel book or comic that relates to P2. It along with Aliens are the films I turn to when feeling shit

Enjoy

I remember but could be confused that Key's Torso gets impaled on a meat hook according to the authors of the script. Got that info from the CC commentary from   the Thomas Brothers on the P2 DVD.

Is Mr. Hopkins aware of the new predator movie being worked on .? When he talked about the hunter he met who had his fingers bitten off by a bear, I thought of the timeline the new movies takes place. He seemed to really understand the charactor as a hunter and warrior .

Kradan

So is this  8) official Stephen Hopkins emoji ?

Elmazalman

Bummer. So, no big SUPER CUT revelations then?

Frames of graphic violence rather than whole scenes were cut?

That probably explains why sweet F.A. deleted scenes appeared on the home video releases.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 09, 2021, 10:01:40 PM
I've never felt there was something missing in that scene. It's more effective that way - burst of glass and the next thing we see is room full of blood and hung bodies. And we've just had one big action scene anyway

Quote from: Billiken on Jan 09, 2021, 11:18:16 PM
Predator 2 is probably my only true love. No floozie chick who has come into my life has never given me the enjoyment P2 gives. I'd love to see a prequel or sequel book or comic that relates to P2. It along with Aliens are the films I turn to when feeling shit

Predator 2 AND Aliens?

Quote from: Enjoy on Jan 10, 2021, 01:11:44 AM
I remember but could be confused that Key's Torso gets impaled on a meat hook according to the authors of the script. Got that info from the CC commentary from   the Thomas Brothers on the P2 DVD.

When did they say that on the commentary? I don't have a recollection of that. It didn't happen during the halving of Keyes...

QuoteIs Mr. Hopkins aware of the new predator movie being worked on .? When he talked about the hunter he met who had his fingers bitten off by a bear, I thought of the timeline the new movies takes place. He seemed to really understand the charactor as a hunter and warrior .

We didn't discuss it but agreed, Hopkins has a perfect perception of it.

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 10, 2021, 10:24:43 AM
Bummer. So, no big SUPER CUT revelations then?

Frames of graphic violence rather than whole scenes were cut?

That probably explains why sweet F.A. deleted scenes appeared on the home video releases.

Yeah, I was never personally subscribed to it but I do feel bad for the people who did. I would imagine it was a fun holy grail to chase, now extinguished.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Wow! What a great way for you guys to start the year! Congratulations to you both, Hicks and Voodoo! Feathers in your caps :) Thanks to Stephen Hopkins for granting such a generous and revealing interview. It's wonderful that Mr Hopkins is such a down-to-earth and enthusiastic guy. It was an outstanding listen, too. Enjoyed it very much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed