Best Blu-Ray or DVD editions of the Alien Prequels with extras

Started by lightsyder, Apr 25, 2020, 04:00:00 AM

Author
Best Blu-Ray or DVD editions of the Alien Prequels with extras (Read 16,124 times)

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Jun 26, 2020, 11:56:30 PM
4K is about the lowest selling point for that disc. Dropping the teal and orange grade and slight reframing is more interesting.
4K is a big selling point. With the increase in resolution, there's additional information in the image to be discovered. The new colour grading is also a big plus.

Haven't really noticed the reframing. I've kept the original DVD release because it still shows more image than subsequent releases.

SiL

SiL

I'm not rushing to buy a new player just to read the fine print on the Aspen beer cans in the mess. My TV is only 50" so the extra resolution isn't adding much.

Darkness

I must admit I do struggle with 4K. I don't think the jump from 1080p to 4K is all that noticeable than it was from DVD to Blu-ray but it's the HDR that you'll benefit from. Blacks are truly black.

You can always wait for the PS5 and get that as your player.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 26, 2020, 10:43:08 PMInconsequential fan-made junk more important to you than the classic original film - restored and in 4K?

More important to me than another copy of a film I already own several times over and don't have the equipment to enjoy, yes.

I'm sure it looks gorgeous, but the Blu-ray's more than pretty enough for me.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 27, 2020, 09:06:51 AM
I must admit I do struggle with 4K. I don't think the jump from 1080p to 4K is all that noticeable than it was from DVD to Blu-ray but it's the HDR that you'll benefit from. Blacks are truly black.

To me, 4K is only worth it for older movies recorded on film, where you can actually pull extra resolution from celluloid resulting in a more defined image. But even still, it's dependent on the quality of film cameras and film stock used. And out of the Alien and Predator 4K library, I've found the best detail improvements with Predator 2:

Alien:

With that said, I must admit a 4K upgrade isn't probably worth it for a general, non-fanatic consumption.

SiL

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 27, 2020, 09:06:51 AM

DVD to Blu was an increase of 6 times resolution, Blu to 4K is only a three times bump and you need large screen to appreciate it.

HDR is a bigger selling point, true. 10bit colour over 8bit colour adds plenty on its own - but as VooDoo says, not really enough unless you're hardcore on picture quality.

Elmazalman

I'll take every bit of information that can be squeezed out of the image for optimal viewing.

I hope ALIENS will be just as impressive in 4K when it's finally released.

SiL

I don't have a big dark room or surround sound so detail and dynamic range really ain't gonna optimise anything for me unfortunately  :(

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2020, 11:17:29 PM
I don't have a big dark room or surround sound so detail and dynamic range really ain't gonna optimise anything for me unfortunately  :(
I don't have a big dark room either. The television is in my bedroom ... and it's only a 43-inch screen with a sound bar. So I have to sit up close to appreciate the improved resolution. I'll eventually upgrade to something much bigger.

The exterior planet surface shot, looking through the Nostromo bridge window with Lambert enjoying a cigarette, does look good in 4K.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed