ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 150,573 times)

Xenomrph

I'm hoping for Prometheus references, personally. Seeing Prometheus tie into the already existing Alien backstory as a whole would be pretty cool.

Kimarhi

I'm with predxeno on this one.  Let the next Prometheus movies tell that shiz.

Cvalda

Or, better yet, forget it altogether.

Kimarhi

We could only hope. 

But since they won't do that, I'd rather get my "answers" in the form of big budget movie than a half assed novel trying to explain the background of what exactly the black goo, its relation with the alien, jockey motivations etc.

SM

SM

Which will be roundly ignored when they make a movie anyway.

Kimarhi

There wouldn't be a point in making Prometheus 2 if they don't answer some of these questions.  Unless they go the route of Lost and just cover the initial questions with more questions.  In which case I'll not watch anymore because if so what was the point of even making Prometheus?

SM

SM

Yeah Prometheus 2 needs to at least answer some (if not all) Shaw's questions.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 24, 2013, 10:49:46 AM
We could only hope. 

But since they won't do that, I'd rather get my "answers" in the form of big budget movie than a half assed novel trying to explain the background of what exactly the black goo, its relation with the alien, jockey motivations etc.
I don't necessarily mean "answers" in the sense of addressing some of the specifics brought up in 'Prometheus', but since it looks like Weyland Yutani itself is going to be a focal point of this new book, I wouldn't be surprised if it namedropped Peter Weyland's death (and maybe the "public" cover-up surrounding it, since I suspect "Peter Weyland went off on a mission to literally meet god, and was never heard from again" wouldn't do well for the company's stock prices) and other "history" of the company post-Prometheus and leading up to 'Alien'. That topic is largely a blank slate even in the EU, and I doubt Prometheus 2 would really contradict any company backstory stuff they chose to make up since I imagine it won't be much of a focus of Ridley Scott's sequel.

BountyHunter

They should just do a Relaunch with the Alien/Predator Eu (like they did with the Star Trek books) with everything fitting together continuity-wise.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: BountyHunter on Jun 26, 2013, 01:05:08 PM
They should just do a Relaunch with the Alien/Predator Eu (like they did with the Star Trek books) with everything fitting together continuity-wise.

A perfect opportunity to completely omit the Predator from everything. I like it!  :D

Corporal Hicks

A whole new continuity is something I would love. Something that is managed properly and fits within itself nicely.

BountyHunter

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 26, 2013, 05:47:41 PM

A perfect opportunity to completely omit the Predator from everything. I like it!  :D

No, I meant something that accounts for everything, including the Predator, Aliens vs Predator stuff.

I'm one of the rare people that has actually enjoyed all the films.  To different degrees, yes, but I liked them all just the same.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: BountyHunter on Jun 26, 2013, 09:41:38 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 26, 2013, 05:47:41 PM

No, I meant something that accounts for everything, including the Predator, Aliens vs Predator stuff.

I'm one of the rare people that has actually enjoyed all the films.  To different degrees, yes, but I liked them all just the same.

Oh yes I know, I was just pulling your chain.  ;)

Xenomrph

That's really not true with Star Trek stuff, though - anything other than Trek films and TV shows still aren't "canon", so even rebooting all the Trek books wouldn't make a difference.

BountyHunter

I know it's not 'canon' but they are now considered the official continuation of the Trek TV shows.  They did a Star Trek Relaunch years ago.  They all take place after the TV series, and events that happen in each book impact stuff that happens in other books. Also, events that happen in a TNG novel can impact a DS9 novel, or a Voyager novel, or an Original series novel.

Yeah, the Trek EU is pretty much set up the same way as the Star Wars EU now; everything fits together.

That is what I want for Aliens and Predator.  I find EUs like this far more enjoyable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed