ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 150,770 times)

Kimarhi

Books aren't going to interest me if there is no people getting heads crunched by Aliens in it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I would honestly prefer an espionage story of sorts; perhaps something playing on Weyland-Yutani's indirect dealings with the Alien as the pursue it (and by extension, Ripley) through the galaxy. Assuming that they insist on using this time period, of course.

Could also prove to be a very interesting medium for the writers to delve more into the androids.

maledoro

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 03, 2013, 12:02:56 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Jun 02, 2013, 09:01:13 PM
So, if this is "Novel #1", what would "Novel #2" cover?
Maybe something that runs concurrently with the films, but from a more corporate perspective? Though I guess that they'd have to shoehorn Aliens in there somehow.
It doesn't help that the aliens are "away from the office".
;)

I would hate for the novels to all be the Company arriving late for the party and asking, "Gentlemen: what have we learned from this?".

RobThom

My point being that Alien is farthest from a Ridley creation!

Dan, Hill, 1999, Christian, among a tribe of others that made it possible.

Ridley or Hill have a certain amount of ownership over that,
but not as much as they claim sometimes.

SM

SM

QuoteMelkonis, seriously?

Hi, the name's Standard, Chaz Standard.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 02, 2013, 01:50:27 PM
Quote from: Mikey on Jun 02, 2013, 09:59:02 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2013, 02:47:42 AM
Quote from: Mikey on Jun 02, 2013, 02:07:35 AM
They don't have permission to use that artwork, it is most likely going to change, if not, legal actions will be taken.
Is that your artwork?

No, but I'm good friends with the artist Dan LuVisi. I informed him about the cover and he had no idea. He's talking to his legal team.

I'd presume that Fox owns all commercially-created, licensed Alien artwork.

It never was used for commercial purposes. I've had the conversation with Dan already.

acheronbeing

They don't have permission to use that artwork, it is most likely going to change, if not, legal actions will be taken.
How do you know such thing?

Xenomrph

I don't think it has to be used for commercial purposes - FOX owns the IP, so anyone who creates anything related to it is basically making fan-art, and FOX can do whatever they want with it.

See also: 'Alien Vault' including the fan-made Nostromo schematic, and the Alien Anthology blu-ray including the fan-made star-map made by our very own SM.

SiL

SiL

It was already used to advertise A:CM. He didn't have an issue with it then?

LarsVader

I am quite sure that the owner of any IP is not allowed to use fan-art commercially without the consent of the artist.

SM

SM

Fox purlioned bits and pieces from my timeline website for the Blu-Rays without consent or credit.

Xenomrph

Quote from: LarsVader on Jun 03, 2013, 03:45:38 PM
I am quite sure that the owner of any IP is not allowed to use fan-art commercially without the consent of the artist.
The IP-owner could conceivably sue the creators of fan-art for infringing on their intellectual property.

It's their property, they're just being nice enough to let you play in their sandbox. Some license holders embrace that sort of thing (there have been Star Trek anthology books that were entirely fan-fiction stories), some that are fairly ambivalent towards it (Star Wars), and then there's FOX that runs the gamut of "using fan creations without giving credit" to "outright getting not-for-profit noncommercial fan websites shut down just cuz".

All of which is within their legal purview, mind you. Doesn't mean the fans have to like it, but that's kinda how it is.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: SiL on Jun 03, 2013, 10:23:18 AM
It was already used to advertise A:CM. He didn't have an issue with it then?

It was meant for A:CM but for some reason it was never allowed to be used, officially. I don't know the details on that part.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2013, 02:59:03 AM
Doesn't plug anything. Still doesn't explain how they missed the huge obviously alien spaceship within driving distance of the colony.

Look at the digital mapping software you see on both the Nostromo and dropship. See all those horizontal wireframe lines? That, right there, is how they were survey-mapping worlds. Imagine how the derelict would have looked on a display like that, surrounded by all those (very derelict-like, themselves) rock formations - and that's assuming the derelict's magnetic profile wouldn't have screwed around with it even further.

Automated software would have been looking for shapes recognisable as the kind of man-made structures we would build. Straight lines. Angular corners. What the colony looks like, basically. The derelict is a lot more organic, by contrast. Auto-mapping software would have likely misinterpreted it as a geological feature.

Now, if the colonists had personally ventured out that way, they might have visually seen a contrast in texture, but that's different. Also unlikely, because the Jordans are being sent out there on a survey mission and Russ calls in about wanting to know if his "claim" will be honoured. Ergo, no-one's had a reason to spend a week or so getting out to that specific location. They were more focused on trying to make their own colony a survivable investment.

Quote from: SM on Jun 03, 2013, 02:38:39 AM
Hi, the name's Standard, Chaz Standard.

"And this is my good buddy, Cleave Hunter..."

Corman gold, I tell you!

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: acheronbeing on Jun 03, 2013, 07:55:29 AM
How do you know such thing?

He's one of my good friends.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed