Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,842 times)

Perfect-Organism

I'd say the Colonial Marines are used sparingly enough.  It's not an issue really.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 15, 2019, 08:00:53 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 14, 2019, 11:57:03 PMIt was full auto though and I would walk around in a boonie cap and a LBV like it was Vietnam.

Did you hear Fortunate Son on a loop the entire time?

Only for my fb timeline. 

The Garbage trailer for MGSV had dropped near the end of my deployment and that song Not your kind of people became my kind of mantra at the end of it.

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 15, 2019, 11:50:02 PM
I'm tired off CM stories. Just stop it. I love Aliens but please stop. To me it seems as they're just too scared to try new type of characters. No, we just throw some pulse rifles and kick xeno - asses and hooorah-hooorah! Colonial marines isn't all what Alien universe is about.

I just don't like it when they write everybody with the same voice.  I still feel like the same person now as I did when I got in.  I have more confidence, especially in leadership task and management because you are thrust into that role if you spend any time in at all, but for the most part my interest before and after are much the same as they were when I was a civilian.  But instead media in general portrays every military service member as being kind of super job oriented mission first guys who have no interest in anything besides getting the mission complete. 

The major issue was that in the old eu the writers at DH somehow missed the chance to have the ACM (OR THE ARMY) engage in close quarters the Aliens during the Earth War.   They could've followed a platoon of Marines/soldiers from the start of the outbreak to major engagements, to the retreat in space and they somehow missed that shit.  Like wtf.

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 15, 2019, 11:19:01 PM
So let me get this straight.  I am trying to piece this all together in my head canon in anticipation of the new game.  Alien: Echo leads to the new Aliens:  Colonial Marines series, which then leads into the new upcoming video game.  Does all this acknowledge Defiance / Isolation?  Is it part of the same new  Amanda Ripley canon chronology?

Does it need to?

SM

QuoteThe major issue was that in the old eu the writers at DH somehow missed the chance to have the ACM (OR THE ARMY) engage in close quarters the Aliens during the Earth War.   They could've followed a platoon of Marines/soldiers from the start of the outbreak to major engagements, to the retreat in space and they somehow missed that shit.  Like wtf.

Countdown did something like that but on a very small scale.

Kimarhi

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 14, 2019, 03:17:31 AM

I thought that's kinda what I did...(?) Defiance, all their gear was based on current real world marine gear with a few Aliens tweaks.

There is nothing wrong with the art, I don't want anybody thinking my non drawing ass is taking those kind of shots, and I do appreciate your efforts to at least outfit  the Marines in your drawings with some kind of kit, I suppose its the lack of a modern update on their overall appearance that I bring my complaints forward about.  Modern Rangers from the 75th look more advanced. 

The first guy that outfits his drawings with full body armor, different camo, new helmets (with a different tac screen) and an exo rig will be the main hero of the generation. 

Again its nothing wrong with the artwork.  And some of the ships and equipment have been updated in the new EU art, its just the marine profile itself.  It has been pretty much the same for thirty years of EU material. 

Local Trouble

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 16, 2019, 03:36:23 AM
So let me get this straight.  I am trying to piece this all together in my head canon in anticipation of the new game.  Alien: Echo leads to the new Aliens:  Colonial Marines series, which then leads into the new upcoming video game.  Does all this acknowledge Defiance / Isolation?  Is it part of the same new  Amanda Ripley canon chronology?

Does it need to?

Fans tend to favor a coherent EU, yes.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Jun 16, 2019, 03:38:56 AM
QuoteThe major issue was that in the old eu the writers at DH somehow missed the chance to have the ACM (OR THE ARMY) engage in close quarters the Aliens during the Earth War.   They could've followed a platoon of Marines/soldiers from the start of the outbreak to major engagements, to the retreat in space and they somehow missed that shit.  Like wtf.

Yeah, I'm thinking like a defiance sized arc with the squad going through deadlier and deadlier encounters with the Alien until they are forced to flee the earth.

Maybe could've had the end shot of the comic being the surviving soldiers/marines meeting General Spears or Dr Paul Church.  Out of the frying pan type deal. 

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 16, 2019, 03:40:34 AM

Does it need to?

Fans tend to favor a coherent EU, yes.

Separate stories don't need to acknowledge each other.

Still Collating...

This. As long as they don't contradict each other, no need for references, focus on the story at hand.

They are definitely trying out a bunch of different "old" and "new" ideas now, and I'm glad we're getting this mix.

I for one am conflicted on the design of the marines. On the one hand, I love the original look, but on the other, it's so outdated. I think what Tristan did in Defiance and on this cover is great, of course. If a setting is chronologically close to Aliens, than keep the original armor, or just have a slightly different version. But anything that's further in the future, some variation on the familiar design, keeping the same core features while adding onto it, would be nice. I personally really liked what AVP2010 tried to do in that regard.

On the other hand, in this EU, we can always say - budget. There's a lot of marines, a lot a space to cover, so some, or most, get the cheap stuff. It works. but not the best you can get. Maybe introducing some elite squads could leave the door open for new armor and weapons.

Perfect-Organism

Does it need to?

Not in a direct sense.  I'm just curious to see if the series connects together along those lines.  I like to know the reading order.  Most importantly I want to know if the series contradict each other thereby casting one version out of canon.  That I hope will not be the case.  But they can definitely be isolated events.

Quote from: SM on Jun 16, 2019, 03:38:56 AM

Is this series available somewhere online to read through?  It was free originally as part of the DH newsletter so it's a fair question I think.

SM

QuoteI'm just curious to see if the series connects together along those lines.

The only thing this will connect to right away is Echo due to the protagonist.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I don't get the "they look outdated" thing about the marines.  Everything in the first two movies looks retro now, but that's part of their charm.  Why change it?

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 16, 2019, 11:37:44 AMNot in a direct sense.  I'm just curious to see if the series connects together along those lines.  I like to know the reading order.  Most importantly I want to know if the series contradict each other thereby casting one version out of canon.  That I hope will not be the case.  But they can definitely be isolated events.

This.

Kimarhi

And yet here come the prequels with mercenaries in better kit than soldiers fifty years ahead of them in the original trilogy.  Just because it does doesn't look updated doesn't mean the EU shoudn't try to at least modify the look. 

Local Trouble

That's a big part of why I hate prequels in general.

426Buddy

Hate leads to something something

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed