Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,979 times)

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 16, 2019, 05:07:45 PM
That's a big part of why I hate prequels in general.

I'm not totally against them, I thought a soft reboot of Hadley's Hope invasion to reboot the franchise for a new generation would've been okay, but I'm not for them either. 

Explaining the Alien origins and SJ etc could've just as easily been told in a sequel and one could argue that a little fan mystique in which things were not actually explained are better. 

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 16, 2019, 03:40:34 AM

Fans tend to favor a coherent EU, yes.

I just favour good stories.

Local Trouble

They don't have to be mutually exclusive though.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I don't think we need every new comic to be part of the Amanda/Zula plot. They are producing a lot of tie ins with them at the moment anyway so as long as they don't contradict eachother I see no issue with Rising Threat not mentioning the Zula or Amanda storylines.

Personally though I really only care about how good the story is as well. I'm really not all that concerned about an EU that is all interconnected like the MCU or the Star Wars EU. It makes the universe seem even smaller than the prequels have already made it.

Kimarhi

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 17, 2019, 02:18:17 AM

In all honesty the Alien eu continuity has been a question mark for a long time, so this is the best approach.

SM

There's been a concerted effort in recent years to make it more cohesive.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 17, 2019, 02:18:17 AM

Aye, this. I am more than happy to take a good EU story on it's own terms, but I'm not going to bother with a bad one just because it works in continuity.

The Aliens comics that I've enjoyed have been a mixture of old and new EU, and I really don't see a difference between them in my mind.

SM

There's arguments to be made either way for stand alone stories and ones that form part of a larger 'saga'.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Jun 17, 2019, 03:31:43 AM
There's arguments to be made either way for stand alone stories and ones that form part of a larger 'saga'.
Such "sagas" work best when you've got a laid out plan ahead of time with a person spearheading the project who can keep all the moving parts in line in a way that each piece serves itself as much as it serves the larger whole - examples include the MCU, The Warhammer40k Horus Heresy series, and the Star Wars New Jedi Order series. If you don't go into it with a game plan then you end up with things like the Star Wars sequel trilogy, or the DCEU, or any number of failed "shared universes" over the years where things either don't feel cohesive and part of the same narrative, or you have pieces that feel like they exist solely to set up other pieces rather than being good stories in their own right.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah true, but we don't know if the case is that the new era is the former or the latter yet.

We've had the excellent standalone Isolation, The Cold Forge and Dead Orbit but also, a lot of stuff
that appears to be forming a larger narrative; such as Defiance, Blackout, Resistance, Rescue, Echo and Rising Threat.

Still Collating...

The standalone stories have been better IMO (with Defiance at the top for larger narratives), so I'm all up for the single isolated incidents again. I like when things go epic, but no everything has to be that way. Keep it diversified. They don't have to be super interconnected, they don't have to mention each other, but if they really heavily contradict the things that the previous installments set up, than that does spoil the fun for me.

I like where things are going, as of now, not sure if that was the best direction to explore, but I'm certainly having fun with what we're getting. I find it promising they're focusing on other characters now. Leaving Amanda after Rescue is a wise thing to do, cause of oversaturation, we're still getting an Isolation novel to add to that.
So, curious to see where things go. I enjoy the novels more than some of the comics, because the art can really kill the mood for me (Gibson's A3), so I'd just like to keep seeing those. We'll see how the Isolation one and Zula's novel turns out.

Nostromo

Still can't believe we're getting a new 8 issue Aliens Colonial Marines series...wow.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 27, 2019, 05:31:40 PM
Still can't believe we're getting a new 8 issue Aliens Colonial Marines series...wow.

Then we get to Issue #5 and it says #5 of #6 lol

426Buddy

The ACM curse could strike again.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 28, 2019, 11:53:46 AM
The ACM curse could strike again.

So the worst we can get as a bad/incoherent story but with the Aliens/Colonial Marine aesthetic done perfectly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed