Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul

Started by Space Sweeper, Jun 04, 2011, 04:29:15 AM

Author
Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul (Read 148,334 times)

Nightmare Asylum

This is the best show on TV, and I hate every second of it. God, what an episode of television that was tonight...........

Nightmare Asylum

I actually feel so gross after this episode.

God. This is as close to a perfect show as it gets, and I hate it every second of it. I'm genuinely happy for the month plus break right now, before we get back into the swing of things. It's going to take me a bit of time to process and come down from this one. I need the break to really... chew on all of this.

But God, what an utterly fantastic hour of television television this was. Brilliant.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Pretty haunting. Not sure how to feel about it.

BlueMarsalis79

6 weeks! f**king Vince!

ace3g

ace3g

BlueMarsalis79

Can't wait.

Nightmare Asylum

Wweyland

Wweyland

So are they going to jump to the future finally? Perhaps only for the final episode?

ace3g

Nightmare Asylum

Oh my God...

Nightmare Asylum

Spoiler

And then I'd go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I love you....

Correct me if I'm wrong but.... I am almost certain that their parting of ways here is the very first time Jimmy and Kim have uttered the words "I love you" on screen to one another. I am, honestly, devastated. I've never been hit quite like this by any TV show before, but Better Call Saul has done it, consistently, week after week, episode after episode, since 2015. The cut, from inside the apartment with Jimmy and Kim to Saul's mansion was just... something else. And I hated it, with every fiber of my being, in exactly the way the show wanted me to; it is brilliant and beautiful and awful and tragic.

This episode also has what might now be one of the most profoundly uncomfortable, repulsive moments in the whole series for me, like I just felt dirty watching it happen. Kim, as she's talking things over with Howard's wife, knowing full well that they were estranged, and weaponizing that into her comment about how his wife would be the one to know because they're married, she'd have seen the signs of his drug abuse, etc. until she runs off, practically blaming herself for not catching what had (supposedly) been going on with Howard. God.

That Gus scene was wonderful, too. Lalo is dead and buried, construction is resuming on the superlab, Don Eladio believes him so the Salamancas can't move against him. Here he is, trying to meet someone romantically and he just... can't. He is "Dedicado a Max". I bet this is the last we see of both Gus and Mike in the show. Perfect endings for both of them, without having to get into the mess of where they are in Breaking Bad, or their inevitable deaths. Gus accepting that he just cannot function in the world outside of the business that he has dedicated himself too, and Mike being told the hard truth by Nacho's dad: He's no better than any of the others.

And now, with all of that, we are firmly in the Breaking Bad timeline, right at Saul's introduction into that show, right down to getting the call about the public masturbation case, which he mixes up with Badger's files.
[close]

I am going to be a wreck these next four weeks.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Nobody does it like Better Call Saul does. Bravo.

Spoiler
Closest I can compare this to, within this season, is the more offbeat, over the top scheming of "Hit and Run," but this time around it all just feels cold, detached. Like Gene himself, leaving the shirt behind at the end. This is a hollow man with hollow schemes, none of his old pizazz. And now, with Jeff in the past, I have no idea what Gene's future (or, for that matter, the show's future) has in store, where the ending lies.

Interview with episode writer Allison Tatlock, confirming based on details from the episode (the games being discussed) that the events of "Felina" happened five weeks prior to what we saw play out tonight: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/better-call-saul-season-6-episode-10-interview-1235186002/

[close]

EDIT, more thoughts on "Nippy:"

Spoiler
You know, in a lot of ways, I kind of feel like "Nippy" is Better Call Saul's "Fly." It's a relative bottle episode with a truncated main cast, laser-focused on a more introspective look at who the character is now at this exact point in his life, where nothing moving forward can be the same. I wouldn't be shocked if the reception is similar to "Fly's" as well (I've already seen people on Twitter complaining that we didn't see Walt and Jesse in this episode...), but thankfully, I really love "Fly" and I really love "Nippy." This just kind of distilled Better Call Saul to some of its core elements that I've loved since the beginning and, in a lot of ways, despite being set in the aftermath of Breaking Bad, this really does feel structurally like it could have been a season one or two episode of Better Call Saul, which I think was the right move, to remind us of who this man was, who he wants to be again, as he pushes forward into whatever his last stages of evolution end up being. The doors on the Gene story have been blown open at this point, and anything can happen with him now. He isn't set on a certain path for his endgame, like Walt was in his mission to take down Uncle Jack's Neo-Nazi gang in "Felina."

Also, this has been just the second episode of the series to not feature Kim. The first was season one's "Five-O," the big Mike flashback episode that really only even featured Jimmy in its opening moments.

"It's showtime, folks."
[close]

EDIT, again:

Spoiler
There is one thing we still know is in store for Gene, in his future now: The call, mentioned in the cold open of season four's "Quite a Ride." The games being discussed in "Nippy" set this episode in October 2010 (five week's after Walt's death), and Saul is due to get a call on some payphone in ABQ that Francesca is supposed to pick up in one month on November 12, 2010 (Jimmy's birthday).
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed