Titan Books Announces Alien: 40 Years, 40 Artists Book!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 02:23:30 PM

Author
Titan Books Announces Alien: 40 Years, 40 Artists Book! (Read 40,154 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Excellent. Really looking forward to this one.

Especially Denis Villeneuve's contribution. 8)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1291508933513940993

I had no idea that Chris Foss wrote a foreward for this.

Corporal Hicks

Just a quick look.

Nightmare Asylum

I tabbed out of the video once you started showing off a few of the interior pieces, since I want to hold off and see the interior art once I have the book in my hands, but this has me very excited to finally get this one in my hands. 8)

Any favorite pieces of yours that I should be on the lookout for once I get mine in?

Corporal Hicks

I only showed 5 interior pieces during the video, but they were ones I singled out because I really liked. Matt Hatton, Jorge Garza, RJ Palmer, Nathan Anderson and Evan Cagle. There were 2 in here (don't know names off-hand) who committed the cardinal sin of using the AvP Alien publicity still as reference for the Alien though. So big thumbs down to them.

Corporal Hicks

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2020, 01:09:18 PM
There were 2 in here (don't know names off-hand) who committed the cardinal sin of using the AvP Alien publicity still as reference for the Alien though. So big thumbs down to them.

God, I hate that still with a burning passion for still being used as reference on everything and anything to this day. :D

Corporal Hicks

https://dailydead.com/exclusive-preview-of-alien-40-years-40-artists-coming-august-11th-from-titan-books/

Here's one of the sinners - David Benzal. Another gorgeous piece by Dane Hallet. And two interesting takes by Justin 'Vberkvlt' Bartlett and Marta Lech, showing some of the different styles in the book.

Nightmare Asylum

If I never see that stock Alien image again, it will be too soon.

My copy of this should be leaving the facility today. Hopefully I have it before next week. 8)

Corporal Hicks

I'm looking forward to seeing what pieces everyone zones in on! My review should be up tonight, just need to double-check some artists.  :)

SM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 10, 2020, 07:43:16 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2020, 01:09:18 PM
There were 2 in here (don't know names off-hand) who committed the cardinal sin of using the AvP Alien publicity still as reference for the Alien though. So big thumbs down to them.

God, I hate that still with a burning passion for still being used as reference on everything and anything to this day. :D

People use that AvP still for tattoos. I truly don't get it considering there's so many other better stills of better designs.

Nightmare Asylum

The fact that it is the first search result when you Google "Xenomorph" certainly doesn't help, I'm sure. But man, like you said, there are so many better designs. Then there's the fact that that design doesn't even make sense outside of the very specific context of the Aliens' creation in Alien: Resurrection. And even then, setting aside the actual quality of the design for a moment, it is just frustratingly sickening seeing the same exact stock promo image used over and over and over again for sixteen years now.

I wound up caving and checking out some of the preview art from the book, since it is probably going to take a little bit longer for my copy to arrive than I thought (Amazon is telling me the 21st). Those Dane Hallett pieces are gorgeous. :o

426Buddy

Yeah that pic drives me crazy too. It's just so popular for some reason.

SM

Filthy casuals...

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed