Flaws of Isolation

Started by Kradan, Mar 20, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Author
Flaws of Isolation (Read 29,506 times)

The Old One

The Old One

And it's reminiscent of older games,
so I don't care as much- but the rendered video cutscene framerate? No excuse.

Still Collating...

And they could fix all of that, if only they had a chance to make a sequel...

Kradan

Kradan

It's not really a flaw per se but not being able to jump in Isolation always bother me a bit

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Honestly, living in that world... No, Creative Assembly knocked it out of the park.

I can't agree with the notion that "it being Amanda" somehow makes it bad. If it had been done poorly, then yes, but it wasn't Amanda's involvement not only in the story is justified from the character side of things, but also from a story side. It's logical, it's justified, and for me, wanting to know what happened to her mother was more than enough motivation for the character. The Alien films have always had a subtext of maternity.

My gripes though relate to Stompy. They nailed Stompy almost perfectly. Almost. I hate the extra jointed legs, and wish it had been a perfect 1:1 translation of the Giger design. I also wish they had gone into the Fox archives and dug out the vocals done for Alien for the creature sounds. The two shrieks, the cries of pain when it's getting hit with the gas, the drooling, hissing, gurgling noises it makes when its killing Brett and laying in the shuttle. You take all of that and you'd have plenty to work with and expand on. Plus the game already relies heavily on very subtle sweetner sound effects for everything else, including as someone else said, the Alien's tail. You change those two things and you'd have an almost 100% puritan experience with Alien Isolation.

As it stands though, the game is great. It tells a simple story and it does it very well. Does it get a little long in the tooth sometimes? Yes. But i'll take more of something good, than less.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 19, 2020, 01:45:45 AM
My gripes though relate to Stompy. They nailed Stompy almost perfectly. Almost. I hate the extra jointed legs, and wish it had been a perfect 1:1 translation of the Giger design. I also wish they had gone into the Fox archives and dug out the vocals done for Alien for the creature sounds. The two shrieks, the cries of pain when it's getting hit with the gas, the drooling, hissing, gurgling noises it makes when its killing Brett and laying in the shuttle. You take all of that and you'd have plenty to work with and expand on. Plus the game already relies heavily on very subtle sweetner sound effects for everything else, including as someone else said, the Alien's tail. You change those two things and you'd have an almost 100% puritan experience with Alien Isolation.

Legs: Devs explained that Xeno just doesn't look right running with these human legs and honestly I can't imagine it too

Noises: I like them, but wouldn't have minded something more authentical

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

We've had proper bipedal aliens in previous Alien games. AVP and AVP 2 both have standard humanoid drones. It was primarily an artistic choice, and they should have just owned it as such instead of trying to justify it.

Kradan

Kradan

Doesn't xenos run on all fours in previous games though ? IIRC, of course

Also AVP and AVP 2 have less realistic graphics so they can more easily get away with clunky animations. Stompy's movements in Isolation are much smoother, more fluid.

And have we ever seen Xenos running on two legs in any of the movies ? In Alien Big Chap moved pretty calmly, in Aliens they jumped from wall to wall, in Alien 3 Runner ran on all fours, in Resurrection and Covenant they had double jointed legs. In AVP pretty much as in Aliens. In AVPR ... I can't see.

Immortan Jonesy

For once, I'm really glad it's too dark to see what's going on. And yeah, I refuse to buy the Bluray to find out.  :laugh:

And as for Stompy, its movements are much smoother, more fluid but still looks like a velociraptor, and not like Giger's Alien. It's a suvirval horror game, not action one like Colonial Marines. I'll never agree completelly with the staff behind Isolation. In fact, I once read a ridiculous excuse stating that "it looked like a man in a rubber suit with thehuman legs" or something.  :P

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 23, 2020, 10:43:12 AM
In fact, I once read a ridiculous excuse stating that "it looked like a man in a rubber suit with thehuman legs" or something.  :P

So, you want to argue it didn't look so ? It didn't look so in the movie because of the way Scott shot it not because of the suit's qualities itself.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Kradan on May 23, 2020, 02:50:00 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 23, 2020, 10:43:12 AM
In fact, I once read a ridiculous excuse stating that "it looked like a man in a rubber suit with thehuman legs" or something.  :P

So, you want to argue it didn't look so ? It didn't look so in the movie because of the way Scott shot it not because of the suit's qualities itself.

The suit, in terms of visual design, was fine.

It was just too constricting for any kind of fluid movement.

In a game, that can be completely the opposite.

Kradan

Kradan

Some elements of Isolation I don't get:

1. Why Company would want Amanda on the station in the first place? How can she be useful ? All she did is interfered with Company's plans. Why such generosity ? And why they sent "good" android with her ? I understand it in Aliens because Burk acted on his own (at least movie presents it that way - I don't care what TCF says about the matter) and Bishop is likely military's property not Company's. But in Isolation Company clearly wants Xenos - so why not send android with hidden directives ?

2. How the f**k that facehugger got on board of Anesidora if Marlow wanted to destroy Xenos so much? If he wanted to sell it he should've just fly away. Did it come on the shuttle with him ? Then why he wasn't facehugged the moment he landed on the ship?

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 14, 2020, 11:25:34 AM
Some elements of Isolation I don't get:

1. Why Company would want Amanda on the station in the first place? How can she be useful ? All she did is interfered with Company's plans. Why such generosity ? And why they sent "good" android with her ? I understand it in Aliens because Burk acted on his own (at least movie presents it that way - I don't care what TCF says about the matter) and Bishop is likely military's property not Company's. But in Isolation Company clearly wants Xenos - so why not send android with hidden directives ?

2. How the f**k that facehugger got on board of Anesidora if Marlow wanted to destroy Xenos so much? If he wanted to sell it he should've just fly away. Did it come on the shuttle with him ? Then why he wasn't facehugged the moment he landed on the ship?

1. Nobody at Weyland-Yutani anticipated what Amanda was going to do on Sevastopol. They figured she's going to get closure on her mother's disappearance, and that's it.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Aug 14, 2020, 12:48:29 PM
1. Nobody at Weyland-Yutani anticipated what Amanda was going to do on Sevastopol.

OK, fair point

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Aug 14, 2020, 12:48:29 PM
They figured she's going to get closure on her mother's disappearance, and that's it.

Again, what's in that for them? Why would they give a damn about such thing ? Company in these movies was always portrayed as hearthless coldblooded profit-seeking machine - so why would they care about some low-rank engineer getting information about hers mommy? I understand it in "because game needs to happen" way and I can easily close my eyes on it because the game itself is amazing. It's just thread being called "Flaws of Isolation" that makes me a bit more nitpicky

SM

SM

Amanda was sent because Samuels was tasked with investigating and asked her - for closure as he later says.

The Company is a vast organisation with millions of employees. Most of them aren't money grubbing 'profit before people's arseholes.

Kradan

Kradan

OK, fair enough

But what about bloody facehugger on Anesidora ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed