Neill Blomkamp Shares Pulse Rifle Prop

Started by Ultramorph, Oct 15, 2015, 06:52:37 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares Pulse Rifle Prop (Read 36,055 times)

NickisSmart

Saying the guns in Aliens not looking futuristic now compared to when they did, in Aliens, is odd, given that those weapons are WWII replicas with some extra modeling and body added.

My favorite weapon was the smartguns though, with the steadicam vests. So meta. XD

Corporal Hicks

It's not odd as they're dressed up to look futuristic. You wouldn't know that was a Thompson under the PR without being told.

But as I said before, there's nothing wrong with adding rails to it. It's unfair to call it "COD" fanboy wankerisms or whatever as it is what modern rifles are doing. It is realistic and it is happening in the real world and it's not due to Call of Duty (and I hate that game too). And again, as I said before, there's a level of restraint to be had and for me that is the unnecessaryness (yes, I know it's not a word) that is the PEQ box.

There's nothing saying this isn't following the Aliens aesthetic. We've seen one prop so far that is undeniably a Pulse Rifle with added realistic flavour. I'm hoping this isn't the final look for the thing as I'm not fond of some of what's on the picture but to condemn the film based on a little tease is unfair.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NickisSmart on Oct 19, 2015, 07:48:02 AMSaying the guns in Aliens not looking futuristic now compared to when they did, in Aliens, is odd, given that those weapons are WWII replicas with some extra modeling and body added.

They weren't meant to be WWII-era guns though... Sure, that's what Bapty used to build them, but their fictional specs were very much futuristic technology (to the point where caseless ammunition still hasn't really been cracked).

blood.

Why not have accessories fully integrated into the pulse rifle design almost like options available to the individual's specific needs from new? Seems that would be something a future military weapon would have. Rather then modern systems on an 80's future gun.

Corporal Hicks

A version with integrated sight into the handle (kind of like the G36s) could have been interesting to see!

Danny Harrigan

Danny Harrigan

The concept arts shows Hicks and Ripley old as the actors are, so i don't think that's a plan for the movie to take place between Aliens and Alien 3.
Maybe a few scenes like in TGenysy they get a younger look just to explain what happened to them.
But if takes between AS and A3 as a second part of Aliens the movie could explain how the eggs getting on board of Sulaco or why the cryo tubes are different.Maybe thats an another Sulaco which first picks up Ripley and the folks (we have a half Bishop as well)and than they go to the Derelict which is still in place after the detonation and theres a laboratory too as the concept shows.That would explain Wyc exactly knows where was the Derelict and the colony was there to have people to be hosts.

Anonymous

Anonymous

all those rails and accessories existed in 1986, leaving them out from the weapons was a design choice by Cameron (he got involved in this stuff) and the crew, possibly something to do with the complex headsets and trackers that the marines carried, the smartgun operator certainly didn't need something primitive like sights, who knows. definitely not a budget problem as they had dozens of guns in the background racks that were never even used like old british rifles.
knowing that it's hard not to think that adding modern accessories everywhere isn't more than a decision coming from a really basic videogames-focused inspiration

overall a pretty small "bad sign" though and i'm expecting some good concepts will still come out later for this movie (please drop the alien suit)

blood.

Maybe a more convincing advancement on the aliens equipment would be to incorporate the motion tracker screen onto the side of the pulse rifle, and perhaps able to be folded shut or completely detached.

Maybe the bulky motion tracker's inner workings can be in place of the grenade launcher, so then we have completely alternate versions of the pulse rifle with the same primary firing mode... On that note, take a page from the xm8, same weapon platform with multiple layouts available depending on the operator's role in the squad.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Danny Harrigan on Oct 20, 2015, 12:24:33 AMMaybe thats an another Sulaco which first picks up Ripley and the folks (we have a half Bishop as well)and than they go to the Derelict

People keep coming out with ideas like this without ever bothering to ask why. Why the hell would Weyland-Yutani kidnap them only to set them on their way again and then later be so desperate to recover Ripley on Fury? It makes no sense. Same as the silly cloning idea that's been suggested. There's no logical endgame.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 20, 2015, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: Danny Harrigan on Oct 20, 2015, 12:24:33 AMMaybe thats an another Sulaco which first picks up Ripley and the folks (we have a half Bishop as well)and than they go to the Derelict

People keep coming out with ideas like this without ever bothering to ask why. Why the hell would Weyland-Yutani kidnap them only to set them on their way again and then later be so desperate to recover Ripley on Fury? It makes no sense. Same as the silly cloning idea that's been suggested. There's no logical endgame.

Exactly.  Either have the balls to do the full retcon or do a completely different film without the old characters.  No time travel.  No cloning.  No android imposters.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 20, 2015, 02:00:15 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 20, 2015, 12:40:53 PM

Exactly.  Either have the balls to do the full retcon or do a completely different film without the old characters.  No time travel.  No cloning.  No android imposters.

I'd have a lot more respect for the film if it just ignored Alien 3. I'd have even more respect if it didn't have the oldies in it. Is anyone even confident Weaver and Biehn can carry a film these days?

JokersWarPig

I LOVE the classic pulse rilfe, but to be honest I'm really feeling this design. It isn't too much, and it isn't the same thing we've seen before. Iron sights > red dots every time though.

broughtpain

GAH! that's more insult than anything. A picatinny rail? A generic looking red dot? That laser on the side? It's nice to know midway USA is still around in the future...

Don't forget there's a potterfield vs weyland joke in there somewhere.

Origin

Really happy to see more people being specific about their criticisms. My original post was a purely knee jerk reaction, so I'd like to clarify.

The point I believe I was trying to make wasn't that adding accessories/attachments that have a practical use was sacrilege, but rather that if there ARE ones to be used, they need to fit the aesthetic of the era/universe they belong to.

HuDaFuK

I actually quite like the idea of a more modular Pulse Rifle, in theory. There are tons of great fan-made examples on the internet and I've even dabbled with the idea myself in my own artwork. But I agree using current attachments like those in that image is the wrong way to do it. It's supposed to be the future.

I'm hoping the one in the pic's just a testbed and anything like that in the actual film would use specially created "future" add-ons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed