Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,774 times)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 28, 2014, 08:48:43 PM
On another note, are we sure this is LV-223? Because I don't remember that world having any floral life on it.

"Something is manufacturing breathable air down there."-Chance

When Shaw & Co. entered the Ampule room, they changed the mural to that of a Xenomorph holding an egg, my guess is that they kickstarted life.

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 28, 2014, 08:48:43 PM
On another note, are we sure this is LV-223? Because I don't remember that world having any floral life on it.

My guess? The flora is either from the black goo running amok and seeding random life, or this is another part of the planet than the small area we saw in Prometheus.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 28, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
My guess? The flora is either from the black goo running amok and seeding random life, or this is another part of the planet than the small area we saw in Prometheus.

I would want to think the latter, but the former is also a possibility.

Ultramorph

The Alien vintage space suits on the banner picture are what's most intriguing to me. Suddenly Scott Allie saying that some of these series will be "right off screen" to some of the films is looking more and more true. This also, of course, raises the Amanda Ripley issue again. Can't wait for the panel tomorrow!

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Looking at the legs of the creatures in the preview pane with the bodies laying and strewn about, I notice that they have six legs.. Not four like the hell-hounds. Seriously take a look at the legs of the creatures, unless this is some sort of over-sight by the artist, this raises some questions.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 28, 2014, 09:06:47 PM
Looking at the legs of the creatures in the preview pane with the bodies laying and strewn aboutl, I notice that they have six legs.. Not four like the hell-hounds. Seriously take a look at the legs of the creatures, unless this is some sort of over-sight by the artist, this raises some questions.

Could it be they were infected by the Black Mutagen?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 28, 2014, 09:10:20 PM
Could it be they were infected by the Black Mutagen?

Hard to say... Compare the anatomical differences between the two. There are similarities, sure.. But some differences.

No quills on the back. The head seems to be different in terms of anatomical build, and there seems to be some bony plating on the head and maw.. the hell-hound doesn't have that looking at the pictures of these creatures here and pictures of the hell-hound.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Mystery fifth writer confirmed as Kelley Sue DeConnick:

http://comicsalliance.com/kelly-sue-deconnick-dark-horse-comics-prometheus-interview/

QuoteThe company's been teasing a "fifth writer" on the franchise, and she's actually holding down the position you might call head writer: Kelly Sue DeConnick. DeConnick will be writing a double-sized "wrap-up" issue to close out the initial run of books, and she oversaw a lot of the goings-on in the writers' room as the series were being put together.

She hints at what seem like big shake ups in the production, perhaps explaining why we've been getting different lines from DH about stuff like canon over last few months. This is probably why the Deacons on the AvP cover were magically Photoshopped into standard xenomorphs, and why the newest Roberson interview had a new, Deacon-free Palumbo cover. Whole issues were done and illustrated. Very disheartening stuff:

QuoteStuff got scrapped, entirely scrapped. We kind of went back to the drawing board literally after books were written and drawn. It kind of ended up being this incredibly cool thing, I think all of the books are better for it. But yeah, having the whole thing blown up after we were already in it was fascinating.

QuoteIt was a thing, everything had been approved. Everything was all the way it was supposed to be and they came back and said, "Oh well, we're not going to be able to do this one part of it after all and we need you to change this." We were into the process at that point, but it's their property.

She then drops a hint that perhaps there will indeed be an Alien: Isolation connection:

QuoteThere is stuff being developed everywhere. There's also a video game too, that somehow fits into the chronology to all of this. At least one video game, there's one in development right now. We are firmly in that universe.

David? Or is she talking about the Deacon?

QuoteWe don't literally use any of the characters from the film, but we are following the plot in its logical progression. I suppose there is a character from the film in it but its not like Charlize Theron turns out to have been an android after all, and when the giant spaceship rolled over her, she just got buried in the dirt.

Randy Stradley was in the room as a sort of canon expert:

QuoteWe also have Randy [Stradley] in the room. Randy has been editing the Star Wars and Alien universes at Dark Horse for I think 100 years. So he is our expert. He is our guy that we're like, wait so, can they do this? He'll say, "oh yeah, because in issue blah blah." He has that encyclopedic knowledge of that kind of stuff. We also have a bible that they gave us, which is pretty cool.

This interview has me more disheartened than anything else. No wonder the comics got pushed back until September 10th. I really hope we don't get some watered down, studio-interference-addled cash grab. :(

Hopefully that panel tomorrow has a more positive tone.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 29, 2014, 02:14:51 AM
Mystery fifth writer confirmed as Kelley Sue DeConnick

Hmmm.. Interesting. Speaking of.. I found her Tumblr.

http://kellysue.tumblr.com/

Stuff got scrapped, entirely scrapped. We kind of went back to the drawing board literally after books were written and drawn. It kind of ended up being this incredibly cool thing, I think all of the books are better for it. But yeah, having the whole thing blown up after we were already in it was fascinating.

It was a thing, everything had been approved. Everything was all the way it was supposed to be and they came back and said, "Oh well, we're not going to be able to do this one part of it after all and we need you to change this." We were into the process at that point, but it's their property.

Ooooooh ho ho ho ho... So this explains the changes. Lots, and lots of changes.

There is stuff being developed everywhere. There's also a video game too, that somehow fits into the chronology to all of this. At least one video game, there's one in development right now. We are firmly in that universe.

Looks like you called it Ultramorph. Looks like you effin' called it.

We also have Randy [Stradley] in the room. Randy has been editing the Star Wars and Alien universes at Dark Horse for I think 100 years. So he is our expert. He is our guy that we're like, wait so, can they do this? He'll say, "oh yeah, because in issue blah blah." He has that encyclopedic knowledge of that kind of stuff. We also have a bible that they gave us, which is pretty cool.

Which is... interesting.  :-\

This interview has me more disheartened than anything else. No wonder the comics got pushed back until September 10th. I really hope we don't get some watered down, studio-interference-addled cash grab.  :(

To be quite honest, this just sounds all so damn confusing. All of it sounds really damn confusing because now that you think about it, it seems as if this was done for the whole Alien Anniversary "party" which is supposed to be happening this year.

I'm on the fence about this after seeing the panels. Then hearing the Aliens: Isolation connection.. Eeeeeeeh.. I'm sure the game will be good, definitely sure about that but this is just so damn confusing about where these comics fit, how they fit.

I am trying so hard to be positive. So, so hard.

Hopefully that panel tomorrow has a more positive tone.

We'll see.. We'll see.

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 29, 2014, 02:39:39 AM
To be quite honest, this just sounds all so damn confusing. All of it sounds really damn confusing because now that you think about it, it seems as if this was done for the whole Alien Anniversary "party" which is supposed to be happening this year.

I'm on the fence about this after seeing the panels. Then hearing the Aliens: Isolation connection.. Eeeeeeeh.. I'm sure the game will be good, definitely sure about that but this is just so damn confusing about where these comics fit, how they fit.

I think you're spot on. Dark Horse was probably doing this whole thing way back in July-October with really broad approval from Scott's office, only to have Fox step in and say "Oh by the way, we're doing a huge thing with a video game and novels in 2014, so now you have to change everything you've done so far and make it fit with our stuff."

Man, they're going to have to amaze me tomorrow.

RakaiThwei

What amuses me is that Kelly Sue DeConnick mentions Xenopedia.. Apparently she and probably the other writers have visited that site. I... I don't know what to say to that. I really don't.

And then her getting a phone call from Ridley Scott. What?

Ultramorph

Yeah that was...interesting. I hope she just meant that it was something they stumbled upon when they were working through canon stuff, but didn't really take it too seriously in their plans.

Combine this interview with how Chris Roberson stonewalled me on Twitter when I asked about connections to the new novels, and I'd say that yeah, Xenomrph and I both called it on aspects of how this would all be connected.

RakaiThwei

And then they ask the question if this would be on-going. She said that the book didn't leave that notion open but if the studio and Dark Horse want it to be.. then there is that possibility.

Mmmm.. September 10th.. Don't know what to say now.

predxeno

RakaiThwei

Ultramorph just posted that a while ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed