The Ampules Return for Alien: Covenant

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 22, 2016, 09:48:58 AM

Author
The Ampules Return for Alien: Covenant (Read 20,461 times)

Nostromo

I get the feeling this is going to be one of the best Alien films ever made..

BishopShouldGo

It can't afford not to be on the level of Alien and Aliens.

A3-A4-AvP-AvPR-Prometheus. Four shit and one divisive. There can't be another.

Mustangjeff

David is going to be spiking a whole lot of peoples drinks....

TheBATMAN

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 22, 2016, 02:25:41 PM
Many idea's were dropped or rejected originally due to time and money constraints. Scott has long said he regretted not getting to implement more of those ideas.

Yes but Cobb's Alien planet designs were not dropped for those reasons.

426Buddy

Some may have been, who knows.

Denton Smalls

That concept art picture is amazing. That Ron Cobb guy did that for the original Alien?

I love that they are including the ampules. Hopefully they will fully explain the nature of what's inside them lol.

oduodu

Scott 's been using a lot of unused ideas. He s getting Old he s lost his brother - this is his chance to do what he could previously not do. Its a simple as that IMHO. I don't have a problem with that as long as It doesn't detract from the movie plot narrative etc.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 22, 2016, 10:43:44 AM
You aren't wrong.

That's the one! I could totally see the stone representations of the eggs holding up that central plinth, being adapted and replaced with the urns.

That's always been my favourite piece of concept art from the original film. Would love to see a version of it finally being realised.

TheBATMAN

The carving beneath the entrance looks like the ceremonial bowl the Engineer drinks from in the first film's prologue...

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

I always liked the look of that Ron Cobb 'temple/tomb' rendering, with it's shafts of light.  Of course, I'd prefer if the interior walls and ceiling it shows were a bit more 'Giger'-esque-looking, if a similar layout of that tomb was to be actually included in COVENANT.

To be honest, I wonder just how 'Giger'-inspired any of the settings on (or underground?) the 'Paradise' planet will turn out to be?  I only hope some of 'COVENANT's sets turn out to be as unnervingly-unfamiliar as some of those in ALIEN, even if they aren't especially 'Giger'-like.

While I don't expect to see anything that resembles some of the nightmarish background settings in this upcoming 'Scorn' video game, it was interesting to note some of it's inspiration -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw 

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Jul 22, 2016, 10:33:13 PM
I always liked the look of that Ron Cobb 'temple/tomb' rendering, with it's shafts of light.  Of course, I'd prefer if the interior walls and ceiling it shows were a bit more 'Giger'-esque-looking, if a similar layout of that tomb was to be actually included in COVENANT.

To be honest, I wonder just how 'Giger'-inspired any of the settings on (or underground?) the 'Paradise' planet will turn out to be?  I only hope some of 'COVENANT's sets turn out to be as unnervingly-unfamiliar as some of those in ALIEN, even if they aren't especially 'Giger'-like.

While I don't expect to see anything that resembles some of the nightmarish background settings in this upcoming 'Scorn' video game, it was interesting to note some of it's inspiration -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw

Nice! but there are influences from Zdzislaw Beksinski too. Thank you for sharing it by the way ;D

motherfather

motherfather

Im kind of excited, but not excited about the Ampules. If they are to make an appearance in covenant, why not make them have tubings coming out of them or something that looks a bit more veiny/mechanical/Gigery and less reminiscent of Prometheus if the movie title is deliberately more in the Alien direction?

The Ampules work so well in Prometheus because of all the sleek styling and aesthetic. It would be more interesting to see a re-engineered (by David?) Ampule design. Like an Ampule with what appears to be a pulsating tumor coming out of it or something. Part sleek and beautiful, part grotesque.

Still, the planet could be a seeded planet where the engineers dropped a few Ampule bombs, and thats all the crew come across - a few broken open empty Ampule halves amidst lots of lush greenery and seemingly idyllic surroundings. Since the engineers wouldnt do that to their own planet, maybe they stuck around on a nearby habitable moon and watched from afar as their testtube planet evolved. During one trip between planet and moon, the engineers bring back something which wipes out their moon colony. The pompeii looking massacre is what the crew discovers on the moon, before they continue to the planet up ahead.

BishopShouldGo

I don't know man. It still looks Alieny to me. Just because there aren't biomechanoid vaginas coming out of the wall doesn't mean it's not Alieny. I like it. You don't want to get too gross or macabre. This is a mainstream, expensive movie after all.

Xenomorphine

More Cronenberg than Giger, but holy crap, that's some good CGI rendering...

CainsSon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 23, 2016, 09:49:58 PM
More Cronenberg than Giger, but holy crap, that's some good CGI rendering...

The gun reminded me of the stuff in EXISTENz and I also see Giger and Belzinzski (spelling) but also Gutalin? Who we all know idolizes Giger.
Thanks for posting this. Super excited to play this now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed