Disney's Plans Regarding Alien 5?

Started by Toxic34, Dec 14, 2017, 05:47:52 PM

Author
Disney's Plans Regarding Alien 5? (Read 19,190 times)

Toxic34

Toxic34

With Disney officially buying 20th Century Fox, the big question for us is the future of the Alien franchise. Does Ridley's plan for the sequel to Covenant continue unabated? After all, if Disney does want to rein him in, they can't do anything if he starts production very soon, since the deal won't close for a year.

But the bigger question is, what now becomes of Neill Blomkamp's film? Would Disney now give it the green light and move to get it done, much the way Disney has moved concerning Lucasfilm and Star Wars? Given that the dose of nostalgia has been key to helping the current Star Wars films, would Disney likely use that in making a "true sequel" to Aliens? If they do move to put it back on track, what will then happen regarding video games? I'd very much like a tie-in FPS game for Blomkamp's film, to essentially be what Colonial Marines was meant to be, but failed miserably at.

SM

SM

It would not surprise me at all if they had another look at Blomkamp's pitch.  But I don't expect we'll hear anything anytime soon.

DerelictShip

I honestly have no idea what Disney will want to do. I just find this completely ironic because comedy central was playing the South Park episode where Disney buys out Star Wars in 2012...

Gash

Gash

If they want to tick boxes, as they arguably did with The Force Awakens, I guess they might revisit Alien 5 as it was clearly ticking Aliens nostalgia boxes anyway. However Rogue One was a decent stab at something new and familiar without too many predictable tropes so  who knows. I don't see Scott's sensibilities flourishing under Disney's general approach, unless they've got higher aspirations and are willing to let visionaries make deeper films than popcorn fodder/a springboard for FPS games.

PsyKore

PsyKore

They'll definitely get Sigourney back, you can count on it, but they'll also probably want pass the torch to a younger actor. It'll be the same shit that Star Wars is doing now.

Toxic34

Toxic34

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2017, 01:37:10 AM
They'll definitely get Sigourney back, you can count on it, but they'll also probably want pass the torch to a younger actor. It'll be the same shit that Star Wars is doing now.

I don't find that a bad thing. I think passing the torch to Newt and/or additional characters would feel satisfying, especially after giving Ripley's arc an ending that it actually deserves that isn't just a poorly-executed "back to zero" move. Look, I don't have any inherent problem with doing that, if it's done well. Take Rocky 6, and having Adrian dead from cancer and Rocky as a restaurant owner. It's unexpected and certainly something many fans wouldn't initially like, but it's handled in a manner that not only feels like a logical progression, but provides a great subconscious reason for Rocky to go the distance one last time. Just killing off Hicks and Newt off screen is so f**king disgraceful, and just throws the fans and those characters under the bus, making it feel that the great sacrifice and effort to save them utterly pointless.

And honestly, I don't really get how the Star Wars fans can just fracture so much, worse than ever before during the prequels. Look, I love the original trilogy, I love the prequels, and I love what has happened on the big screen since Disney bought Lucasfilm. It's of the scope and scale that this massive saga deserves, and it enriches not only the characters, but their stories and the various environments in ways that still manage to surprise. Simple fact is that many of you want Star Wars to take risks, but only the risks that YOU approve of and have settled upon years ago. And because it upends what you thought the world of the saga was, because it completely shatters your notions of how you saw it, rather than simply admit that you were wrong, you say that "things WERE this way, but they changed it to spite us! f**k THEM ALL!", and never bother to understand how this could be the logical end result. Simply put, the problem isn't the films, the characters, the effects, or anything like that. The problem is you and your inflexible, arbitrary standards. The same line of thinking completely runs through the reaction to Disney's filmography, animated or otherwise, as of late, of an increasing backlash for the direction of the Evil Dead franchise, of slamming popular anime series, of dismissing any Call of Duty installment, of the hipster hate and gaslighting over the merits of Final Fantasy X and X-2 and Advent Children, of the "Metallica are sellouts" argument, of the undeserved overly negative reaction to Prometheus and initial mood of "vastly improved" for Covenant, or calling Steven Spielberg well past his prime.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Toxic34 on Dec 18, 2017, 02:00:40 AM
Just killing off Hicks and Newt off screen is so f**king disgraceful, and just throws the fans and those characters under the bus, making it feel that the great sacrifice and effort to save them utterly pointless.

Alien:  the happy families saga.  Like Little House on the Prairie. 

It's not about creatures bursting through your chest and caving your skull in.  It's about love and family in tough times.

The Alien Bunch.  Here's the story of a lovely lady...

windebieste

'Little House on the Planet'.

-Windebieste.

Toxic34

Toxic34

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 18, 2017, 02:21:21 AM
Quote from: Toxic34 on Dec 18, 2017, 02:00:40 AM
Just killing off Hicks and Newt off screen is so f**king disgraceful, and just throws the fans and those characters under the bus, making it feel that the great sacrifice and effort to save them utterly pointless.

Alien:  the happy families saga.  Like Little House on the Prairie. 

It's not about creatures bursting through your chest and caving your skull in.  It's about love and family in tough times.

The Alien Bunch.  Here's the story of a lovely lady...

They could have easily made their deaths actually mean something, by having both survive the initial crash, then have them be slowly picked off along with the prisoners. It would still be disappointing, but it would have a bigger emotional impact, especially if the xenomorph is directly responsible for their deaths. As done in the film, it is basically "knocked out by default" and "I couldn't be bothered to spend more time on the characters because I put the whole project off until the last day" and the unceremonious nature of their deaths is what is thoroughly insulting.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Toxic34
I don't find that a bad thing.
I agree. Fictional characters shouldn't live forever in an ongoing franchise, but that's just imo.

They could have easily made their deaths actually mean something
Newt's death did mean something.

rogerebert.com explains it best, imo: "In previous films, her character embodied feelings and values that one loves to see in their heroes—the ability to face awful circumstances and not only survive but conquer deep-seated fears in the process. By this point, however, she has already faced the devastating losses of her fellow crew members from two different missions and of everything that she knew and held dear back on Earth.

The one element of hope that she still has to cling to is Newt and when she discovers that she wasn't able to protect her after all, she is plunged into a sense of hopelessness and despair that is only accentuated by the fact that she is surrounded by people who, despite their own grim circumstances, have managed to find a little bit of faith in life to keep them going."

A theme you may not like regarding Newt, but it's a powerful theme nevertheless.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Toxic34 on Dec 18, 2017, 02:31:36 AM
They did mean something.

Toxic34

Toxic34

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 18, 2017, 02:45:47 AM
I don't find that a bad thing.
I agree. Fictional characters shouldn't live forever in an ongoing franchise, but that's just imo.

Newt's death did mean something.

rogerebert.com explains it best, imo: "In previous films, her character embodied feelings and values that one loves to see in their heroes—the ability to face awful circumstances and not only survive but conquer deep-seated fears in the process. By this point, however, she has already faced the devastating losses of her fellow crew members from two different missions and of everything that she knew and held dear back on Earth.

The one element of hope that she still has to cling to is Newt and when she discovers that she wasn't able to protect her after all, she is plunged into a sense of hopelessness and despair that is only accentuated by the fact that she is surrounded by people who, despite their own grim circumstances, have managed to find a little bit of faith in life to keep them going."

A theme you may not like regarding Newt, but it's a powerful theme nevertheless.

Again, it's not the theme, as it is quite wonderful. It's the execution that is horrible. This could easily have been achieved by having Newt survive the crash and be killed off in the prison.

SM

SM

Drowning in a cryotube vs. rape and murder by Golic?

I think I'll take the drowning.

windebieste

But onoes! Carrie Henn would have been 6 years older, and 12 inches taller! ...and you can't have anyone else play that role...

That would be a MORTAL SIN!!1!!!!1

-Windebieste.

Toxic34

Toxic34

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 18, 2017, 03:14:55 AM
But onoes! Carrie Henn would have been 6 years older, and 12 inches taller! ...and you can't have anyone else play that role...

That would be a MORTAL SIN!!1!!!!1

-Windebieste.
Quote from: SM on Dec 18, 2017, 03:14:06 AM
Drowning in a cryotube vs. rape and murder by Golic?

I think I'll take the drowning.

Anyone could play the role with the proper skill and ability. The role does not live or die on Carrie's involvement. After all, it's highly unlikely that if Blomkamp's pitch is revived that she'll break retirement. And that's perfectly fine.

And I was calling for the xenomorph to directly kill her, not prison f**king. Everyone knows Ripley would make sure that those prisoners wouldn't dare touch her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed