Peter Briggs talks about AvP: The Hunt

Started by El Pistolero, Jul 13, 2021, 07:35:41 AM

Author
Peter Briggs talks about AvP: The Hunt (Read 2,019 times)

El Pistolero

El Pistolero

Hey guys. I just saw, that Josh Miller and Stephen Scalata had a very nice conversation on the Podcast "Best Movies never made" with Peter Briggs about his Screenplay in Alien vs Predator: The Hunt.

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/qyebk-83ce6/BEST-MOVIES-NEVER-MADE-Podcast

It went online yesterday and is the First part. I'm sure the second will be out next week.

What do you Think of his Version of a AvP movie? I think bis script or a Comic adaption is absolut the best way to bring AVP back to the big screen.

Corporal Hicks

*when you also have a 2 hour + interview with Peter Briggs that needs editing*

I still think his script, even in it's first draft state, would have been better than Anderson's.

El Pistolero

An AvP Movie in the future on another planet would have been the best setting for a First movie. But I don't blame Anderson for his version. He had a nice pitch with a very unique idea. We never had a AvP story in an predator setting before. But I wish his script would have had some rewrites on it's own. Maybe on another planet as well and a darker tone. That pg13 rating is still not working for me. But for what it is, I'm happy with the movie.

The most important thing in an AvP movie should be, that even one Alien is a huge thread for a Predator. That's why I like the first appearance of the Grid Alien.
And as well they have to transfer the very dark tone from the alien movies. The beginning in AvPR on the predator ship is the same situation like on the nostromo. One Alien on board of a ship. But here it is not picking one by one. The movies became more like video game cut scenes.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: El Pistolero on Jul 13, 2021, 08:51:19 AM
The most important thing in an AvP movie should be, that even one Alien is a huge thread for a Predator. That's why I like the first appearance of the Grid Alien.

My big positive for Anderson's is I do think the species were properly represented and balanced correctly in terms of their own abilities and strengths. Grid takes out Gill due to the Alien's stealth and Predator's tunnel vision, same for when Grid takes out Celtic. It was down to the Predator's arrogance. But when Scar gets armed up, the Aliens don't stand a chance at range.

426Buddy

I'm three minutes in and the hosts are still relentlessly self promoting all over each other. I've stopped it now and wondering if I should continue or wait for the AvPG interview....

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: El Pistolero on Jul 13, 2021, 08:51:19 AM
We never had a AvP story in an predator setting before.

And we need one. The closest we've gotten is Scar on Yautja Prime in AVPR, but that was him leaving the planet.

I understand why its been the Alien Hive aesthetic, but I think you can have Predator serting with a hive on it, imagine the skeletal black resin with red lighting or the orange of Predator 2's Lost Tribe Ship?   

SiL

SiL

The point was AvP was present-day Earth, which is a Predator setting.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: SiL on Jul 14, 2021, 04:20:17 AM
The point was AvP was present-day Earth, which is a Predator setting.

I can't speak for him, but I mean Predator setting as in their ships, planet, and culture.

SiL

SiL

I know, but they were saying that what was unique was that it was set in a Predator setting of modern-day Earth rather than an Alien setting of the future on a space station/ship/colony/etc.

And AvP was set in Predator culture -- the whole pyramid was Predator culture.

El Pistolero

El Pistolero

Yes that was what I meant. The Pyramid was a Predator Setting and it was other worldly enough to put the aliens inside. And for the hunt, you need human breeder. I think Anderson understood the alien franchise enough to put the Aliens into an isolated setting. So we have the pyramid (the first draft of the alien script had a pyramid, too) and the isolation in the arctic which gave me a "The Thing" vibe. But with that pg13 rating, the movie was not uncomfortable enough to be set in that setting.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 13, 2021, 11:17:59 PM
I'm three minutes in and the hosts are still relentlessly self promoting all over each other. I've stopped it now and wondering if I should continue or wait for the AvPG interview....

Ya they promote a lot their other podcasts. But I really can recommend this podcast series. It gives you kind of an idea from the script writers themselves how they work, how ideas come together and how Hollywood's decision making is working.

And to be honest, I like their other podcasts too. I only listen to podcasts about movies, when they are made by people they are actually working in the movie industy.

...and the AvPGalaxy podcast :)

City Hunter Yautja

I want to see a Predator film in their honeworld, Yautja Prime.

El Pistolero

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 14, 2021, 04:10:39 PM

To be honest, if they ever show the homeworld, I want to see a very advanced predator civilisation with science and art. I don't want to see primitive kingdoms or a tribal society. They go hunting to other planets to earn a better status on their world.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: El Pistolero on Jul 14, 2021, 04:34:00 PM
Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 14, 2021, 04:10:39 PM

To be honest, if they ever show the homeworld, I want to see a very advanced predator civilisation with science and art. I don't want to see primitive kingdoms or a tribal society. They go hunting to other planets to earn a better status on their world.

I still want Tribal elements, a la Predator 2 Ship. What would be interesting is to explore other parts of their civilization. Are they all hunters and warriors like the Spartans of Sparta? Of are there civilians and even a ruling class akin to the Cesars and Senate?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed