20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 29, 2020, 09:07:37 PM

Author
20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material! (Read 28,467 times)

Corporal Hicks

I'm all for an AvP anime, personally. I think a stylized art style would work pretty well for the conflict. I'd also never say go for scary or horror, just straight up thrilling and suspense. I'd be all over this.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2020, 12:45:54 PM
I'm all for an AvP anime, personally. I think a stylized art style would work pretty well for the conflict. I'd also never say go for scary or horror, just straight up thrilling and suspense. I'd be all over this.

Exactly my feelings towards it.  :)

Xiggz456

This is some crazy news! But if it's truly done then I'd assume we will eventually see it. If Netflix co-produced it then there may be some red tape but they still have the Marvel shows that they co-produced with Disney/Marvel which certainly don't have a place on Disney+ as they're all rated TV-MA. Guess we just have to wait and see, but very intriguing news nonetheless.

426Buddy

Yeah for me AvP has always felt more like scifi action suspense. I think you could do an amazing small scale straight up horror film with AvP, like one predator and one alien and a great script in between. But I think that would take a real talent to do it right.

Anyway I would be happy with an anime if done right. It would be great to see a castlevania style version of the original comic series.

Wysps

I don't think I'd be too interested in seeing an AvP anime, but for the sake of other fellow fans I'd hope that it would get released someday, if it indeed does exist.  Doesn't appeal to me, but different strokes.

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Mar 01, 2020, 04:34:13 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 01, 2020, 04:33:29 AMTo me, animation = not scary.

True. Even the most "extreme anime" has to overcompensate with stylised violence to even register (urotsukidoji, fist of the north star, ninja scroll). but ultimately the result is more comedic, rather than impactful.

I would also say alien or predator is no longer scary either as we know the creatures powers and abilities. Forgettable, disposible, unrelatable characters doesn't help matters either.

Right.  When it comes to making them scary, as they were the first time the two creatures were unveiled, I have a hard time believing that we can tap back into that same energy again.  Creepy/suspenseful, yes.  But outright terrifying? 

Darkness

While it's cool they're doing something with the AvP license, I think back to last year with that awful Alien Isolation series they did. It makes me wonder if somebody at Disney just watched this new anime and thought the quality was too bad to release. If Netflix is attached, it's gotta be somewhat decent. Wasn't there a report years ago of a possible Aliens anime?

Nightmare Asylum

This news is... odd. If it is true, then I wonder why it was scrapped; the only two real things I can think are that it's good and Disney wants to use it under one of their own services rather than Netflix, and there's a lot of legal navigating to do there, or it is bad and they never want it to see the light of day.

To be honest, as interesting as this little tidbit of news is, I just quite frankly don't care about the AVP license at all these days. If it releases will I watch it? Sure, of course I will. And I would love for it to be good. But Alien vs Predator just really isn't my cup of tea and I was totally fine with the idea of the two franchises going their separate ways for good after 2007.

I said it before, but my preferred take on Alien in animation would be a sort of anime anthology, a la The Animatrix or Halo Legends, showcasing a variety of creative teams and art styles.

Thunderjack88

If it was completed maybe it's just being rebranded and they are waiting to make sure it fits their plans going forward. As long as it's not that horrible CGI style anime I'm all in.

-TJ88

Samhain13

Samhain13

Now that's bullshit. They released the AI series mess instead of this? I have been begging for an AVP anime for years. Are they trying to piss me off in purpose?

SuperiorIronman

I have my doubts Disney cancelled this seeing as they seem to have left both franchises as is. While it seems some things had been in development before the merger and name change a lot of this could've been scrapped. The Disney era so far has seen them leaving Dark Horse and Fox to as far as we know their own devices. Alien books are plenty and Predator has a new game as well as merchandise. If Disney was going to step in we would've seen it by now. So far nothing's changed.

What's weird about all of this is really that nothing came up beforehand. I have a hard time believing this existed because we would've seen a trademark for something or seen merchandise. The only connection I can make was The Predator's re-shoot alternate endings of the person in the pod, but the timeline makes no sense and they scrapped the person for the Predator killer anyways. There is only less than a year between The Predator and Disney buying Fox (I think about seven months?). So if it was developed during The Predator it was made in record time. Otherwise if it was made prior to 2018, what was stopping Netflix from releasing it? And then why wasn't there a press-release? 2017 saw a new Alien movie, 2018 had a new Predator coming, so where was AVP in all of this while the franchises are still fresh in everyone's mind? How do we find out about something like this now? A few people with undisclosed sources saying an entire series just..., exists?

Now sure it could've been developed during the merger but seeing the writing on the wall about Disney wanting the catalog and having a series made nobody will see anyways? That's kind of dumb even for then current management. Like why would it be a Netflix exclusive knowing your stuff is going to likely be on Hulu or Disney+? And even then if it's completed...., why is Netflix holding it hostage? Netflix has crap on it. Let's not pretend they're above a bad show or movie, they put out the Godzilla anime they have no shame. If it's a licensing agreement and know Disney wont have their products on a competing platform, what do they have to gain from producing something no one will see? Netflix just can't have an indefinite license and if they did, where is that press-release?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 01, 2020, 11:57:34 PMThe only connection I can make was The Predator's re-shoot alternate endings of the person in the pod

Oh God, the horror...

Jonronrogan

If they do it properly it would be great, but it needs to take place wayyy in the future and not on earth and the only humans should be space marines or deep space miners.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2020, 10:18:27 AM
QuoteTo me, animation = not scary.

To me, AvP = not scary.

That is why it fails...

Mostly... mostly

426Buddy

The more I think about it the less sense it all makes. Is it even possible in 2020 to have a series like this done & finished without something leaking or getting out?

Huggs

It has now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed