What do you want to see in Romulus?

Started by littlesprout, Jan 07, 2023, 11:15:22 PM

Author
What do you want to see in Romulus? (Read 29,634 times)

OpenMaw

I want to see a great movie.

That's all. No more excessive exposition. No more dumb characters. Just a great movie with atmosphere, pacing, and human characters that I don't want to die.

ralfy

ralfy

Don't follow the prequels and see if the damage caused by those and other authorized works that created contradictions in the storyline can be undone.

Follow the production design of the first four movies. And come up with a believable ensemble coupled with realistic dialogue, etc., plus a well-paced plot that still follows a level of suspense, unlike recent movies that are drenched in spectacle.

However, it's unlikely for these to take place because it appears that new movies are being made for new audiences who have never seen the first movies. That means they will follow the prequels and probably even remake the previous films, or even rehash material from them.

Rudiger

I want three things from Romulus:

1. No more silly call-backs, like naming characters after southern US states.

2. Reset the rules. It takes time for a chest burster to gestate in its host. And it takes time for said chest burster to fully grow. No more shortcuts; write something interesting to occupy us while all this is happening.

3. Most importantly, show us something new - like what an alien looks like before it reaches full maturity. Make the beastie more interesting.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Rudiger on Dec 05, 2023, 11:44:45 AM2. Reset the rules. It takes time for a chest burster to gestate in its host. And it takes time for said chest burster to fully grow. No more shortcuts; write something interesting to occupy us while all this is happening.

The Praetomorph Imp in Covenant develops at a faster rate than a typical Xenomorph Chestburster, so that was officially explained.

Rudiger

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 05, 2023, 12:16:30 PM
Quote from: Rudiger on Dec 05, 2023, 11:44:45 AM2. Reset the rules. It takes time for a chest burster to gestate in its host. And it takes time for said chest burster to fully grow. No more shortcuts; write something interesting to occupy us while all this is happening.

The Praetomorph Imp in Covenant develops at a faster rate than a typical Xenomorph Chestburster, so that was officially explained.

When was that explained?

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Rudiger on Dec 05, 2023, 12:33:18 PM

When was that explained?

The RPG book explains it, as does the novelization.

Rudiger

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 05, 2023, 12:47:14 PM
Quote from: Rudiger on Dec 05, 2023, 12:33:18 PM

When was that explained?

The RPG book explains it, as does the novelization.

So, lazy screenwriting then.

Nightmare Asylum

Any differences in gestation period in Covenant are easy to chalk up to it being an earlier iteration of the creature that isn't quite fully formed (as evidenced by the lack of mechanical elements to its build), without any necessary reliance on works from outside of the film itself to justify it.

The real issue with Covenant's handling of the Aliens, in my opinion, is having two of them in such quick succession. I think it would have been much more effective if the one born from Oram was the same one that made it onto the ship for the last stretch of the film, instead of having a second one come from Lope immediately after the death of the first.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 05, 2023, 01:22:23 PMAny differences in gestation period in Covenant are easy to chalk up to it being an earlier iteration of the creature that isn't quite fully formed (as evidenced by the lack of mechanical elements to its build), without any necessary reliance on works from outside of the film itself to justify it.

The real issue with Covenant's handling of the Aliens, in my opinion, is having two of them in such quick succession. I think it would have been much more effective if the one born from Oram was the same one that made it onto the ship for the last stretch of the film, instead of having a second one come from Lope immediately after the death of the first.

I agree with that. At first in the cinema I didn't even figure out where the second Xeno came from because I thought that Lope hadn't been infected in such a short time.
it was dealt with far too quickly.
The two xenos were very aggressive which I thought was cool. Unfortunately, they were also a bit stupid and blindly ran at everything.
It would actually have been nicer to have just one xenomorph who could see through or thwart a few traps.
It would also have been cool if David had killed the xeno to deceive Daniels even more and suggest that he was Walter.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Neila on Dec 05, 2023, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 05, 2023, 01:22:23 PMAny differences in gestation period in Covenant are easy to chalk up to it being an earlier iteration of the creature that isn't quite fully formed (as evidenced by the lack of mechanical elements to its build), without any necessary reliance on works from outside of the film itself to justify it.

I agree with that. At first in the cinema I didn't even figure out where the second Xeno came from because I thought that Lope hadn't been infected in such a short time.
it was dealt with far too quickly.
The two xenos were very aggressive which I thought was cool. Unfortunately, they were also a bit stupid and blindly ran at everything.
It would actually have been nicer to have just one xenomorph who could see through or thwart a few traps.

Those are the shortcomings of the Praetomorph. They're bigger, tougher, and more powerful than a normal Xeno, but are less intelligent.

SiL

SiL

I don't see how they were less intelligent. Blindly running at things has been par for the course since the second movie.

Alien 3's last act is built on it.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Dec 06, 2023, 04:36:12 AMI don't see how they were less intelligent. Blindly running at things has been par for the course since the second movie.

Alien 3's last act is built on it.

The RPG states that both Praetomorphs and Runners can be baited and duped.

Neila

Neila

But the alien in A3 has at least recognized and avoided a few traps.
When Kevin lay dead in the piston device, the alien dragged his body out and didn't fall into the trap for the time being.
It's ok if the critters can be fooled. In contrast to the Preds, they are monsters and you have to be able to hunt them down somehow.
But it has to fit the scenery and remain exciting.

I would like it best if Romulus actually only had 1 alien, but it would act relatively intelligently for its standards and would often be one step ahead of the protagonists and terrorize them.
The killings could also be completely different,
The alien could actually "play" with its victims and slowly kill them.
It's a strange creature and you could get a lot of shock potential out of the way it kills.
kind of like Lambert. No one knows what really happened to her, but when Ripley found her, things didn't look good...

When Rains was killed in A3 it also looked a bit strange, nobody knows what the alien had done to him, except for the bite on his head.
At first it looked like a dog playing with a ball in its paws, in keeping with its origins. Something like that would also be interesting for Romulus.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 06, 2023, 08:02:25 AMThe RPG states that both Praetomorphs and Runners can be baited and duped.
Big Chap was supposed to be lured into the airlock by a blinking light. Queeny ran after Ripley instead of going for Newt. An adult was baited and duped by Ripley in Resurrection.

ralfy

ralfy

There was one or several aliens in the first three movies, followed by mutations and clones in the fourth.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed