"The Ultimate Betrayal - The Denial Of Glory," Reviewing Aliens vs. Predator: Three World War - AvP Galaxy Podcast #137

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 21, 2021, 05:01:13 PM

Author
"The Ultimate Betrayal - The Denial Of Glory," Reviewing Aliens vs. Predator: Three World War - AvP Galaxy Podcast #137 (Read 8,530 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 137th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! For our last episode of 2021, we’re continuing our tradition of talking specifically Alien vs. Predator in December and the regular crew are back to finish talking about Machiko Noguchi’s story with Aliens vs. Predator: Three World War!

We talk the imagery of the Aliens on leases, Machiko Noguchi and Randy Stradley’s farewell to Aliens and Predators, the controversial artwork of Rick Leonardi, and plenty more!

At one point in the episode, we’re talking about grenades. We don’t clarify in the audio version, but on the video version you see me demonstrating how the grenades in Aliens had the push caps, rather than the traditional pull-rings used currently. Adam also briefly mentions a Prime1 bust of the tusked Aliens from this comic (and More Than Human) which you can find here. We also talk about the number of artists on the previous AvP title, War, and incorrectly say it’s two, when it was actually four different artists.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

And as 2021 draws to a close, I would like to thank all our listeners and viewers who have continued to listen to and support the podcast over this year. We hope you’ll stick around and continue to support us as we head into another year of talking Alien and Predator!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Kradan

Lost_Hunter

Great podcast guys! Where you been hiding? Yeah, dunno, always liked this one. Definitely one of the better AVP comics for me. Really dug the art, Rick Leonardi does a bang up job. Finally got to see the Colonial Marines from the movie and different Pred tribes are a must. Hope everyone is doin well and Happy Holidays.

Corporal Hicks

I've always understood some of the dislike that the artwork gets. There's a lack of detail in the none-action sequences that I completely understand, and I still think that money-shot panel of them coming down the ramp is just bad, but when stuff is kicking off and there's movement and action, I think his style works so incredibly well.

Lost_Hunter

Heard that! There's a couple of those wide shots that would be awesome to see in live action or an animation.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

The podcast was fun. I read the books. Better late than never, I guess. The cover arts look enticing. The interior art is the other half of the discussion from episode 135, where some of us talked about fresh-drawn art vs. illustration produced by other means. I think the drawings here were, in places, too abstract. But the art was functional in telling the story.

Machiko's armor was from the skimpy sexy school of armor design. All she needed was some spike high heels to be perfect. >_> I realize Pred armor doesn't really cover that much of the body. But the Preds have thick lizard skin and cloaking screens; so maybe this is no matter?  ??? I'm sure it's fine.

Her method of introducing herself to the Hunter tribe was a bit over the top. Hard to believe that worked out for her, but OK.

The Killers' armor seemed Samurai-inspired. If you accept the in-universe idea that Predators have been keeping watch over and periodically hunting humans, Samurai armor could be inspired by these Predators' armor. That's a different spin, isn't it?

Spoiler
The human-predator alliance have bad luck in battle - Nothing goes to plan!

A lot of the criticism levelled in the podcast makes sense. For instance, why wouldn't the human ships already have anti-jamming missiles or some sort of EMP weapons? Why wouldn't the Hunters have something for that? It's odd. I enjoyed the story, though.

I like that Machiko got something resembling a happy resolution to her story arc. I would assume that she goes back to her life like the survivor of a William Gibson novel and leaves the next adventure to someone else - But in that universe, they might all still end up face-hugged. Just sayin'  :P
[close]

And with that, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all of you :)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Dec 24, 2021, 08:14:26 PM
Machiko's armor was from the skimpy sexy school of armor design.

Where is this school and do they offer scholarships? :D

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

@Voodoo, LOL! While I'm not sure exactly where the school is located, I think the bulk of graduates end up making content for comics, video games, some movies, and especially the Daz/Poser communities.  ;D

BlueMarsalis79

1. I think Machiko Noguchi was butchered ever since War, and this' just adds more fuel to that bland fire.

2. And no, you get an ACM style Spitter from the dogs from Predators apparently, according to Prodos AVP.

3. And frankly f**k the pheromone nonsense.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 26, 2021, 11:08:30 PM
3. And frankly f**k the pheromone nonsense.

My sentiments align with Blue, just with a less colorful presentation. :)

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Pheremones are fine. Biological compounds have long been part of the lore in Alien(s) EU. There is the bit with the Royal Jelly and all that. Admittedly, pheremone signals are not as exciting as dreams transmitted across the cosmos, but they're reasonable for close-range control. Plus the Killers go in for broad-spectrum electromagnetic jamming, so radio controls wouldn't really work for them. What would you use instead?

BlueMarsalis79

Nothing. The story's shit right down to the bones.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Dec 27, 2021, 02:23:18 PM
Pheremones are fine. Biological compounds have long been part of the lore in Alien(s) EU. There is the bit with the Royal Jelly and all that. Admittedly, pheremone signals are not as exciting as dreams transmitted across the cosmos, but they're reasonable for close-range control. Plus the Killers go in for broad-spectrum electromagnetic jamming, so radio controls wouldn't really work for them. What would you use instead?

I think it was the "Xeno Defender" in Aliens: Infiltrator that pushed me over-the-top with Pheremones. But alas, it probably comes down to execution. There was a concept in Alien: Into Charybdis I normally absolutely loathe, but I loved it in that book!

Kradan

Kradan

Speaking of artwork,  I might need to re-read it but I've never had any issues with artwork in Three World War. In comparision, I found artwork  in the second Machicko-centered AvP series, AvP: War (aside from prologue issue that was drawn by different artist and looked fantastic) to be frustratingly bad

Corporal Hicks

*Posts deleted to keep things civil. Don't continue in that direction please.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed