When was your last 100% satisfying experience with a Alien / Predator video game

Started by Immortan Jonesy, May 27, 2020, 12:20:35 AM

Author
When was your last 100% satisfying experience with a Alien / Predator video game (Read 3,668 times)

PAS Spinelli

Last one? That would go Predator Hunting Grounds, even with all it's flaws sometimes you get a god tier match that feels like the movies

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on May 28, 2020, 09:21:11 PM
Last one? That would go Predator Hunting Grounds, even with all it's flaws sometimes you get a god tier match that feels like the movies

So much this.

When the right fireteam and right Predator meet and it just clicks, I felt like I was living the '87 movie!

Stitch

I'm actually enjoying Hunting Grounds way more than I expected. The reviews were not kind but the actual gameplay loop is pretty addictive. I think I actually prefer being fireteam over being the predator, surprisingly!

Chris!(($$))!

Definitely Isolation and then AvP Extinction and then AvP2

A:CM is trash, AvP2010 could have been saved by mods but they never gave us the tools, haven't played Hunting Grounds and won't be able to since I don't own a PS4.

Stitch

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on May 29, 2020, 12:57:29 AM
haven't played Hunting Grounds and won't be able to since I don't own a PS4.
It's on PC as well, with PS4 crossplay.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Stitch on May 29, 2020, 02:46:13 AM
Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on May 29, 2020, 12:57:29 AM
haven't played Hunting Grounds and won't be able to since I don't own a PS4.
It's on PC as well, with PS4 crossplay.

My PC isnt powerful enough for it. Planning on building a new one though.

Samhain13

I'm really enjoying PHG for what it is. For a multiplayer only game it being pretty much what I was hoping. Sure I would love a story mode but since its been clear it wouldn't have one(at least not on launch), I didn't get disappointed with anything.

[cancerblack]

Alien Trilogy and AvP2 are the only ones I've ever been satisfied with at the time of first playing.

It's been a while.

Alien Grand Master

Honestly, we will never have another good AVP game.

If you look at the trend of A/P games they are all releasing with less and less content.   It would be a nightmare for a studio to not only make 3 different campaigns but a Multiplayer that will last and be balanced and fun.

Just comparing the Multiplayer of the games in the last two decades. We see that each one has less and less content.

AVP2
10ish maps on release (i forgot the total now there are like 600 community-made ones).
DM, TDM, Hunt, Survivor, Overrun & Evac modes. (Plus Lifecycle)
Each race had 4 different classes
Predator and Humans had 9 weapons.

AVP2010
I forget maybe like 6 maps on release?
DM, Mixed TDM, TDM, Infestation (Survivor MvA), Hunt (PvM)
No classes
Marines and Predator had like 6 weapons each

Aliens Colonial Marines (this one was actually fun, but the overall game ruined it)
9 maps
TDM, Extinction, Survivor, Escape
3 different alien classes
Many different attacks for aliens, and like 6 customizable weapons for marines.
No Predator (duh)

Predator Hunting Grounds
3 Maps
1 Game mode (about 8 different missions per map)
3 different predator classes, 4 (5?) FT classes
8ish weapons for Predator, a lot of marine weapons
No Alien.

You see a clear pattern of fewer maps, fewer game modes.  Imagine if a game studio needed, to make 3 full-length single-player campaigns, 10+ multiplayer maps, 4+ different game modes, 3 different species with at least 4 different classes, and 8+ weapons to choose from.  And things like Queen, or kill streaks and alien lifecycle.  You need to do just that to match the quantity that AVP2 put out.

Taking game modes for example it probably took 1 experienced programmer a day to set up the different multiplayer game modes in AVP2.  For Predator Hunting Grounds you would need to get voice actors, animators to set up a cut scene, and new art for the different UI elements.  You would probably create an entirely new map exclusive to that game mode.  That is extremely expensive and all triple-A studios are going to cut the fat and keep the polish.

The only way I could see an AVP game working is if an indie developer somehow got the rights and made a dedicated multiplayer game.  And they didn't spend money on cutscenes, fancy animations, or customization/collectibles.  Just pure gameplay focus.  It will never happen of course because all publishers would shutdown that project since it has none of the 'sellable' qualities of triple-A games.  That is exactly what happened to Predator Hunting Grounds, an Indie dev that had to meet triple-A expectations.

OpenMaw

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 04, 2020, 10:46:42 AM
Alien Trilogy and AvP2 are the only ones I've ever been satisfied with at the time of first playing.

It's been a while.

I'd say they are probably the absolute best of all the games made.

AVP 99 feels more authentic than AVP 2, which leaned more to a comic book aesthetic. So I prefer 99 just a smidge to AVP2.

I would say Alien Isolation was the last time I was really having an amazing time.

AVP 2010 just felt corrupted by the avp films, and it didn't really offer a satisfying story or a decent enough amount of content. A:CM Was awful.

JokersWarPig

[cancerblack]

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 11, 2020, 06:43:01 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 04, 2020, 10:46:42 AM

It's been a while.

I'd say they are probably the absolute best of all the games made.

AVP 99 feels more authentic than AVP 2, which leaned more to a comic book aesthetic. So I prefer 99 just a smidge to AVP2.

I can't say that the cartoon aesthetics bother me much in a Versus context. The first game does vibe harder with the source material and the music is excellent (hence re-using it in the sequel), but I find the gameplay and maps truly awful and the second one to be, overall, a huge improvement.

QuoteI would say Alien Isolation was the last time I was really having an amazing time.

Based on looks and tension alone, Isolation gets a pass from me. Never played it though, I don't have the money to drop on a gaming rig or console (or rather, I'd prefer to spend on other things I get more out of - for example, AvP miniatures) and have no real desire to, since I like to get some escapism (ie; power fantasies) out of my games, while anxiety simulators are suspiciously close to real life.

QuoteAVP 2010 just felt corrupted by the avp films, and it didn't really offer a satisfying story or a decent enough amount of content.

Agreed on all points.

SiL

Despite the cartoony look I always thought AvP 2 was a much more immersive experience than the first. The original is a pretty straightforward run and gun with little plot -- understandable -- but you can get lost in some of AvP 2's levels and discover really cool hidden details or backstory if you want.

Also that first marine mission with 0 Aliens and 100% pant-shitting was just great.

Kradan

bobby brown

I had a great time with AVP2010. I will always cherish the opportunity to play as an alien. And the Marine campaign played great on Console. Lance Henriksen is, as usual, a warm face in this franchise and I always appreciate his appearance.

Aliens: Infestation(DS) was just such a gem! Great little experience with a cool novelty style.

AVP: evolution for Mobiles was a great game made by fans. So many different encounters, Bosses, set pieces, and unlockable content, Make your own alien or recreate the ones from your favorite film are you shitting me!? I get to play as every single alien I could ask for. even the Queen. It even gave us a Berserker Predalien! (Thank you, but no thnx) GREAT GAME.

ALIEN Isolation. I adore this game. Among the best content in the franchise.

Other Honorable mentions are:
AVP:capcom (I love the art in this game AMAZING GRFX)
AVP:II
Alien 3 for snes/genesis

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed