StudioADI Appreciation Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Oct 21, 2021, 11:06:46 PM

Author
StudioADI Appreciation Thread (Read 11,997 times)

SizzyBubbles

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED.

Quote from: Omegamorph on Oct 22, 2021, 12:12:51 AM
Celtic's mask has to be my all-time favourite Predator mask. The aesthetic elements coalesce so well

Yeah, Celtic is so iconic and just so recognizable as AvP (well that and Griddy of course). 10/10 pred bio.

Though I really can't pick a favorite predator...as they all have things I like about them... our most recent friend 'The Fugitive' was such a cool predator and it's shame he wasn't in the film more.

BlueMarsalis79

Wish Scar died saving Celtic from his arrogance, then we could have a genuine sense of rivalry when Grid fights the last Predator near the last act of the film, just hypothetically.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Oct 22, 2021, 01:25:30 AM
I really like crazy eyed Wolf there.
For me on The Predator I really liked the idea of giving dreadlocks texture. It adds so much detail to a face I didn't know I wanted. Less tentacles and more weird looking hair. It's also kind of cool to me that it is one of the things the franchise kind of ran with cause a bunch of Predators got detail on the dreadlocks after that. Some less than others but it was cool to see them embrace that change.

He's ready to throw down.

And I agree I did like the repeating texture they gave the dreadlocks on Fugitive, and it was subtle enough that it didn't seem too wildly different.

[cancerblack]

Celtic's mask has to be my all-time favourite Predator mask. The aesthetic elements coalesce so well

Tied between that and Gort for me, but they're extremely similar.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 22, 2021, 01:07:54 AM
Mine too! I wish Scar wore that one to be honest! Definitely a favorite.

I had a chat with TQ about something similar today, which is that Celtic may have been a more compelling Pred MC than Scar, especially if his hubris/aggro had gotten Gill killed and he lived to have a third act showdown against Grid instead of the movie blowing its load half way through.

QuoteAnd Wolf with his mask on is just aces to me in my book, and Ian Whyte's performance as Wolf is my next favorite to Kevin Peter Hall's!

I'm going to bite my tongue on the design but yes, Whyte does a reasonable job.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 22, 2021, 08:18:41 AM

Yeah, they do share similarities and both I find very cool.

Quoteauthor=Voodoo Magic link=topic=65269.msg2544335#msg2544335 date=1634864874]
Mine too! I wish Scar wore that one to be honest! Definitely a favorite.

I had a chat with TQ about something similar today, which is that Celtic may have been a more compelling Pred MC than Scar, especially if his hubris/aggro had gotten Gill killed and he lived to have a third act showdown against Grid instead of the movie blowing its load half way through.

Yeah, thinking about it, that probably would have been the better road to take.

QuoteAnd Wolf with his mask on is just aces to me in my book, and Ian Whyte's performance as Wolf is my next favorite to Kevin Peter Hall's!

I'm going to bite my tongue on the design but yes, Whyte does a reasonable job.

Okay, now I'm curious, but I'll ask you on a different thread.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 22, 2021, 08:18:41 AM
I recall Alec saying -- think it was in a promo video for Sideshow replicas -- that the 'Gort' mask served as a loose basis for the Celtic design

Corporal Hicks

When we first saw Celtic, I'd always thought the similarities were very deliberate. Man, I love those masks. Shame we didn't get to see that one as the primary mask for the film. But I also love Elder's. Doing Ahab before Ahab with the open vent. Not very practical as a sealed breathing apparatus, mind you, but cool as f**k.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 22, 2021, 01:40:38 AM
Wish Scar died saving Celtic from his arrogance, then we could have a genuine sense of rivalry when Grid fights the last Predator near the last act of the film, just hypothetically.

If they ever remade these things or did a comic adaptation that combined the stories or something I would have Celtic be the lead tbh, His cockiness leading to him getting separated. his brothers getting killed, and then surviving because he needed help from something significantly weaker than himself to take him down a peg. And you could use that as justification for how he deals with the Predalien in the sequel since it takes on Predator traits which he can see a lot of himself in. His arrogance made physical by this perversion of his mistakes handling Scar.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

StudioADI also has a pretty sweet YouTube channel. Here's a number of their Predator featured vids:

SiL

SiL

I love seeing BTS of the first film.

BlueMarsalis79

You're in luck they have tons of it.

SiL

SiL

I've seen it all multiple times ;D

BlueMarsalis79

I actually very unpopularly love their take on the Queen, and the BTS video of that one in particular's amazing.

Kradan

Kradan

I like how they double-downed on "ugly motherf**ker" aspect with Wolf. Like, JH looks nasty already but Wolf's face looks absolutely disgusting. As old, more seasoned Predator should. In my headcanon the older Predator gets, the uglier he looks

Oh, and I like Wolf's gigantic mandibles. I mean, they're HUGE ! That was litterally the only thing I could think about when I saw him for the first time

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 23, 2021, 08:59:16 PM
I actually very unpopularly love their take on the Queen, and the BTS video of that one in particular's amazing.

I don't think it's such an unpopular take actually. Their Preds get more heat in generall. And yeah, Queen looks glorious in AvP 2004. Watching her rise from her ice tomb is almost like religious experience to me

https://youtu.be/zgq5hfJCziA

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 23, 2021, 08:59:16 PM
My problems with their Queen are how Anderson used it, not their design. The animatronic work was stellar.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed